How many nights did you or will you cruise with your under age 5 crowd?

KrissyRoxNJ

I have a 2 1/2-year-old and this is our first cruise. We have a 10-year-old and 13 years old, and the cruise and ship I am looking at is the Anthem of the seas which has a splash park and a nursery. The cruise is 9 nights! Hubby thinks this is far too long with a 2 year old..... do you agree? I know there are tons of activities for the older kids, but what about younger ones?

Has anyone traveled more than a week with a toddler and what was your experience?

Thank you

Krissy

I don't think there is any "time limit" simply because of age....I mean, a 2 year old will do the same on vacation as they do at home. As long as mom and dad are happy, so will the little one be!

Anthem has plenty to do, so if you want a 9 nighter, do it!

We did a 7 night with our 4 year old and he loved it. We were all sad to get off the ship. We have an 8 night coming up. I definitely don't think it will be too long since there is so much to do. Between ports and ship days you will never be bored and will never repeat the same routine.

I think as long as you pace yourself, the 9 night could be great! Lots of time to get settled in your room, get familiar with the ship and the crew, etc. For a shorter cruise/vacation, we would push our kids (stroller naps, staying up late, lots of treats etc) but I think with a longer one you may have to establish a few more boundaries.

I found that my 4 and 7 year old did better than the 13/16 yr old. Littles are more feel to make random friends or not need any in kids clubs, not as technology attached, and easier to keep track of. You drop them off, pick them up.

We did a 10 night Panama Canal partial transit with a 24 month old and a 9 night Baltic with a 3.5 year old and our Norway cruise was 7 nights with a 2 and 6 year old. The kids honestly loved all their trips and keep asking to go back

Ours was a 7 night when my son was 2.5 and my other 8. No issue at all with a week and I don't think 9 nights would have been any different - my kids would probably prefer it if their school schedules would allow!

we've done 7 night cruises ever since we started cruising with our then 3 yo child. He did great, although he doesn't do kid's club and wanted to go home a lot. Now he is 7, a seasoned cruiser (lol, 4), and wants to stay on the cruise.

Usually, little ones take a day or two to settle into a new environment and then they are fine. Seven or nine days will probably not make any difference, especially since you are together as a family.

We took DD in her first Cruise at 9 month, her second at 2,5 years, the third at 3 ans are taking her for her next Cruise this Summer, weeks before her 4th birthday.

Our Cruises ranged from 7 days to two weeks, with our problem arising whenever it's time to leave the ship to go home.

DD loves Buffet Restaurants and Shows at the theatre...

We did a 5 night with our oldest when she was 2 1/2.

Our youngest (5 in July) has been on a 3 night, 4 night, and in December we'll be doing a 6 night.

I think 4 nights and up are easier on kids, because with a 3 night it seems they're just finally getting adjusted to the different schedule, and then the cruise is over. Both absolutely love cruises, and never seem to want to leave the kids club.

Yes, they adapt quite well. It's probably the older kids who have more issues, particularly if they feel a need to stay in touch with friends.

We did a 9-day with our twins when they were 2, and a 8-day when they were 13 months (and also at 4-1/2). They really don't get 9 days vs. 7 days, so it's entirely how it impacts the parents. You know: having the food cooked for you, the dishes magically disappear... that sort of thing. :D

We did a 5 day with our (at the time) 6 month old. Definitely a different type of cruise for us, since our daughter couldn't go to camp, can't use the water park, etc. We still had a blast. We are leaving in a week for an 8-day southern and our daughter is now 2. We plan on having her in camp every day for several hours to give mom and dad down time and also to get our daughter socialized (daycare for her is grandma's house).

We have done 4-8 days with our kids at all ages. We sail with them 2-3 times per year. Its a great way to travel with young kids because everything you need is always handy... cabin, food, kids programs, shows, babysitting etc. My kids have grown up cruising and travel very well.

• 2 weeks later...

We did 7 day cruises when my oldest was 1, 2 and 4 (youngest was 1 on that one). We also did a 15 day when they were 5 and 1, which felt a little long with them. The 7 day cruises were all great. We had a 2 week vacation with them including a 7 day cruise and that was fine, so I think it was more the length of time on the boat vs length of vacation. We are planning on sticking to 7-10 day cruises for awhile.

• 3 weeks later...

We've found that 5-8 nights are kind of a sweet spot for our twins, who will be going on their third cruise in September at 5 years old. Any trip, land or cruise, over 8 nights begins to stress us out as a family.

Have fun!

We took our twins on a 7 night cruise at 16months on Allure of the seas. We found we even had room(it was tight) to fit two pack n plays when on Allure. We also bought magnetic hooks to hang an extra sheet for separation. Was real important at 16months.

Now at age 3 we are taking them on a 9nighter on Anthem of the seas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took our twins on a 7 night cruise at 16months on Allure of the seas. We found we even had room(it was tight) to fit two pack n plays when on Allure. We also bought magnetic hooks to hang an extra sheet for separation. Was real important at 16months.

Now at age 3 we are taking them on a 9nighter on Anthem of the seas.

Are you sailing July 12th ? We are doing our first cruise with Anthem of the seas and it’s a 9 night cruise !

We have done 4-8 days with our kids at all ages. We sail with them 2-3 times per year. Its a great way to travel with young kids because everything you need is always handy... cabin, food, kids programs, shows, babysitting etc. My kids have grown up cruising and travel very well.

Thanks! That actually makes a lot of sense! I didn't think of it that way.