Explorer of the Seas Picture Review

For the full trip report, see the blog post here...

http://clarkanddeb.blogspot.com/2018/05/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html

We live just an hour and a half north of Seattle so we opted to drive down and park at the pier. You would think at the prices they charge for parking, your vehicle would be washed and waxed and full of gas at your return. But such was not the case.

It was convenient though, so I won't complain overly much.

The ship is the largest we've ever taken out of Seattle. It was only a four day cruise which was part of the attraction. I wouldn't miss too much work.

P1050081.JPG

Seattle from the Sea

P1050054.JPG

My Darling Wife

P1050058.JPG

Looking Toward Seattle from the Dock

Inside the ship.

I know its not an Oasis class ship, but it's big. That means more to do like mini-golf which we played three times. I looked at the Flowrider and decided I was too old. We made trivia only a couple of times. On a longer cruise we normally do this every day.

The cabin

We had an inside. We booked last minute and the ship was sold out so it was either go inside or not go. I called to upgrade in case they had some cancellations, but sadly, they did not. The room was on the small side, but had good storage, and it being a four day cruise, we didn't use most of it.

P1050061.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

P1050085.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

The Food

I have to say the food has improved since my first Royal Caribbean Cruise. I almost didn't take a second cruise because of it. Not that I'm a foodie, I'm not. I enjoyed this food so much more.

P1050094.JPG

The Service

Our stateroom person was top notch, even remembering our names. That's a hard thing to do with all the cabins they are assigned. In the dining room they went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. The only bad service we had was in Chops Grille. It was super slow. 15 minutes just to get bread and menus to the table. The waiter seemed to resent us being there for some reason. Everyone else on the ship was wonderful though.

P1050067.JPG

Never did see the Captain. Even at the top tier party. He was busy elsewhere I guess. Fellow guest were friendly, mostly from Seattle area.

IMG_0058.JPG

P1050071.JPG

I don't like lifeboat drills no matter how many times I do them.

Thanks for sharing! We also enjoyed Explorer - great all around - service, food, etc. We did a pacific coastal last september, and will be doing so again this year (the last cruise on Explorer in the PNW). We've done 2 Alaska cruises before, but on Princess and NCL. I assume this was the British Columbia itinerary. Looks like Royal won't be doing pacific coastals anymore once Ovation comes, which is sad, as its a nice cheap (non-Alaska) cruise from our home port. Ovation should be pretty sweet though! We're booked on the 11 night first Alaska cruise, and hoping we can make the numbers work and keep the booking.

Thanks for sharing! We also enjoyed Explorer - great all around - service, food, etc. We did a pacific coastal last september, and will be doing so again this year (the last cruise on Explorer in the PNW). We've done 2 Alaska cruises before, but on Princess and NCL. I assume this was the British Columbia itinerary. Looks like Royal won't be doing pacific coastals anymore once Ovation comes, which is sad, as its a nice cheap (non-Alaska) cruise from our home port. Ovation should be pretty sweet though! We're booked on the 11 night first Alaska cruise, and hoping we can make the numbers work and keep the booking.

They said on the ship that Explorer was going to Europe. Sometime you just have to get away a few days and this length cruise is perfect for that.

Ports

Nanaimo

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

Great little port. We've been here at least five times on cruises. Really enjoy it. Have to watch the cannons go off, then took a walk over to the Marina. Great view of the ship from there.

Victoria, I'm told, is the 2nd most English city in the world, behind London. How do you measure that? I'm sure Liverpool would have something to say about what makes a city English or not.

We found the trick into getting into Victoria from the pier is walk over to Fisherman's Wharf and take the water taxi into town. $6 Canadian each way.

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

Thanks for sharing!

I was on that sailing with my mom. My first time cruising without my kiddos! We had a lovely time as well.

I'm another one disappointed about the lack of Coastal cruises next year. They are my favorite for an easy trip since we live near the port.

Thanks for sharing!

I was on that sailing with my mom. My first time cruising without my kiddos! We had a lovely time as well.

I'm another one disappointed about the lack of Coastal cruises next year. They are my favorite for an easy trip since we live near the port.

I'm sure glad you enjoyed it. It's so easy to just drive down, park the car and hop on the ship.

Hi Clark,

Thank you for your review and posting. :) Great sense of humor you have as well.

I'm curious as we will be parking at the dock in Seattle in September, could you tell me which parking lot you used and just a bit about the shuttle? They take all your bags and you still have to check in with them or do the bags go to a 'special spot'? Sorry but it's been about 20 years since my last cruise out of LA. There's five of us so am just curious about parking/walking aspect since two of my party can't walk far at all.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Teri

Hi Clark,

Thank you for your review and posting. :) Great sense of humor you have as well.

I'm curious as we will be parking at the dock in Seattle in September, could you tell me which parking lot you used and just a bit about the shuttle? They take all your bags and you still have to check in with them or do the bags go to a 'special spot'? Sorry but it's been about 20 years since my last cruise out of LA. There's five of us so am just curious about parking/walking aspect since two of my party can't walk far at all.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Teri

The parking for Pier 91 in Seattle is just north of the terminal. The parking lot has a shuttle but it doesn't go far. If you're leaving out of Pier 66 then Bell Street Parking is just across the street from the pier. I would call in advance, since parking there is limited.