Important tips for MSC cruisers

cntrydncr1

We are doing a family cruise next year from Barcelona on the Seaview. It will be a first time on MSC for everyone but me. I was on the Poesia it's first season in the US but I've long forgotten what happened on that sailing! lol Please let me know what you feel we should be aware of as new MSC and European cruisers! TIA

We are doing a family cruise next year from Barcelona on the Seaview. It will be a first time on MSC for everyone but me. I was on the Poesia it's first season in the US but I've long forgotten what happened on that sailing! lol Please let me know what you feel we should be aware of as new MSC and European cruisers! TIA

Firstly, it is an Italian line so will be much different from any USA cruise experiences!

There will be many foreign languages amongst your fellow passengers.

Italians will abound, and they do NOT do queueing (lines) preferring to barge to the front from all angles.

The MDR food is unmemorable, but the new ships are incredible.

Drinks packages are affordable, unlike NCL pricing!

Embarkation is done in most of the ports, so there will be passengers coming and going at those ports.

Firstly, it is an Italian line so will be much different from any USA cruise experiences!

Italians will abound, and they do NOT do queueing (lines) preferring to barge to the front from all angles.

Embarkation is done in most of the ports, so there will be passengers coming and going at those ports.

Please tell me how this works if we all decided that queueing (lines) do not work for us.

Is it just a free for all? I'm being totally serious. Sailing Seaside in a couple of weeks & need to know how to deal with this.

As well as the elevator issues. Trying to get off the lift & people pushing in @ the same time?

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Forums mobile app

Please tell me how this works if we all decided that queueing (lines) do not work for us.

Is it just a free for all? I'm being totally serious. Sailing Seaside in a couple of weeks & need to know how to deal with this.

As well as the elevator issues. Trying to get off the lift & people pushing in @ the same time?

I disagree with the OP. People from all over the world get very quick used to American customs such as queueing (lines), it starts at the airport and hotels. I have seen fellow Americans being impatient and cutting lines or getting on/off a bus shuttle. While travelling you will always see somebody with an annoying behavior. I guess the majority of passengers cruising on MSC Seaside will be from the US. Don't rush, take your time, relax and enjoy your vacation.

Every culture has their own view of queuing and there are even some issues in the good ole USA :). Consider one of our experiences on HAL. DW and I were patiently waiting in a breakfast buffet queue to order Eggs Benedict. I was 2nd in line and there were about 6 or 7 waiting patiently behind me when an elderly lady (just about everyone on HAL is elderly) simply barged in front of me. She turned to me and said, "Its Ok, I am old." My immediate response was to point to the end of the line and say, "the line for the old folks starts back there!" From behind me I heard some applause and the lady did go to the back of the line. As I recall everyone in the line were seniors including moi.

But what to do about line cutters? One needs to keep their cool and react to the situation at the time. In many cases you just have to put up with it...but there are also times when you can be gently assertive and stand your ground.

Hank

Been cruising MSC in the Caribbean since 2006. I don't understand what people mean by MSC is an Italian line so. ..

Yes, they do announce in various languages. Not an issue. Food is subjective and not really any different than the other cruise lines. Less seafood on MSC. But other than that, not much different than any other cruise line that cruises the Caribbean. Great value in many ways.

Been cruising MSC in the Caribbean since 2006. I don't understand what people mean by MSC is an Italian line so. ..

Yes, they do announce in various languages. Not an issue. Food is subjective and not really any different than the other cruise lines. Less seafood on MSC. But other than that, not much different than any other cruise line that cruises the Caribbean. Great value in many ways.

The OP is asking about a cruise in the med, departing from Barcelona, hence my response!;);)

....I guess the majority of passengers cruising on MSC Seaside will be from the US......

The OP is not sailing on the Seaside! Do you really believe that a cruise in the Med, departing from Barcelona, will have a majority of US passengers?;);)

Edited by hamrag

Is it just a free for all?...../quote]

Yes, that is exactly how it works....survival of the fittest!

I was on Preziosa going around the med three years ago. Can't remember exactly but I recall something like 10-20% of passengers were from the UK or US. Most were Italian with some French and Spanish.

Was never really an issue, I don't remember there being many queues for people to try and queue jump other than getting in to the main theatre. Maybe the new reservation system will help here?

My son, who was around 4 or 5 then, hated the kids club as he felt he couldn't play with the other kids there as they spoke different languages.

The ship was most definitely Italian, from the variety of Pizzas, Italian night, Italian spoken first in all announcements and just about all of the senior crew being Italian. MSC might be registered in Switzerland but its Italian heritage was strong!

Is it just a free for all?...../quote]

Yes, that is exactly how it works....survival of the fittest!

Well, I will pull out my Army fatigues then. This is what I needed to know. [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Forums mobile app

The OP is not sailing on the Seaside! Do you really believe that a cruise in the Med, departing from Barcelona, will have a majority of US passengers?;);)

My response was to answer/question #7 , which I quoted. This member is cruising on MSC Seaside.

I disagree with the OP. People from all over the world get very quick used to American customs such as queueing (lines), it starts at the airport and hotels. I have seen fellow Americans being impatient and cutting lines or getting on/off a bus shuttle. While travelling you will always see somebody with an annoying behavior. I guess the majority of passengers cruising on MSC Seaside will be from the US. Don't rush, take your time, relax and enjoy your vacation.

I don't rush. I am patient and I do not mind waiting in line. In fact it is something I do often because I want my choice of seats or do not want to be in the middle or back of the line and subjected to being further back in the line because of people cutting.

There are two situations where people cut in line… Number one, people let their friends and family in that come way later than you have been waiting in line and number two, people that look for an opportunity to just cut in front of strangers. It's amazing to me how some people in line are not observant or are too shy to say, "hey, this is a line buddy"!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP is asking about a cruise in the med, departing from Barcelona, hence my response!;);)

I posted my opinion about MSC and was very specific about the Caribbean. Yes, we cruise the Med, too. In fact, we just got off of the Sinfonia out of Venice in June 2018.

Nearly all our cruises have been in Europe and we live/work here so we are well used to line jumping or you may be asking a question at a desk/counter and they will stick their head right in front of you to ask their query!!! Its maddening, 30 yrs and still shocks me. I am forced to speak up because DH hates a fuss.