Prices of massages

janpa70

We are going on the Jade in October and was wondering about how much it is to get massages on the ship? Does anyone have a rough estimate or know where I can get some prices for this? Hoping that it will be in our budget or how much more to safe up for one.

Thanks,

Janice

you'll save a bit when the ship is in port.

teh worst part tho is the hard product sell at the end. the massages are very good (i like the hot stone one!) but all relaxation goes away at the end wehn they want to sell you crap.

We are going on the Jade in October and was wondering about how much it is to get massages on the ship? Does anyone have a rough estimate or know where I can get some prices for this? Hoping that it will be in our budget or how much more to safe up for one.

Thanks,

Janice

I've been able to see pricing for the Spa (for at least a month) when I log into MY NCL and open January reservation.

Hopefully, you can find info you seek by doing that for your account!

I got a 75 minute deep tissue on the Escape a couple of days ago. Thankfully, my masseuse did not hard sell the products afterwards (alkaline oil to help remove the knots from my muscles) - one "no thank you" was enough to end that.

Massages on board are expensive compared to what you can get on land. They used to do the hard sell on their elixirs, but the last couple of years, they seemed to have backed off on that once you tell them “no thanks”.

As mentioned, you can get a bit of a discount if you book on a day the ship is in port. Can’t remember off the top of my head, but I think it was something like 20%-25%. Tips are automatically added, too!

I believe you can get a progressive discount by booking more “treatments” than just one.

I had read somewhere that the masseuses had a quota they had to hit of products to sell....kind of like a sales person does.

• 3 weeks later...
you'll save a bit when the ship is in port.

teh worst part tho is the hard product sell at the end. the massages are very good (i like the hot stone one!) but all relaxation goes away at the end wehn they want to sell you crap.

Agree the sales pitch at the end is a pain, but watch out when getting the stone or bamboo massages.

Instead of therapist feeling your body and muscles they use the stones and bamboos as a weapon to forcefully dig into your body, particularly stabbing the instruments again your bones. It was more like a slow motion flogging. My shoulder blades and knee caps are still tingling in pain 5 days later. They definitely were not indulgences. My spouse says I should have said something about the intense painful pressure but I assumed that they knew what they were doing.

I have had hot stone massages elsewhere and all they did was use the hot stones resting on the body rather than being weaponized. I guess make sure you are aware of what you are getting into before taking advantage of the 10-20-30 program with exotic sounding massages.

So,,, the spa staff are required to upsell the services with products. They will do it every time you get a treatment. No need to go running to the counter to pay. Nothing to get upset about. Just politely decline.

Gosh,,, my local chain hairdresser at home will hard-sell product every time I go in.

Agree the sales pitch at the end is a pain, but watch out when getting the stone or bamboo massages.

Instead of therapist feeling your body and muscles they use the stones and bamboos as a weapon to forcefully dig into your body, particularly stabbing the instruments again your bones. It was more like a slow motion flogging. My shoulder blades and knee caps are still tingling in pain 5 days later. They definitely were not indulgences. My spouse says I should have said something about the intense painful pressure but I assumed that they knew what they were doing.

I have had hot stone massages elsewhere and all they did was use the hot stones resting on the body rather than being weaponized. I guess make sure you are aware of what you are getting into before taking advantage of the 10-20-30 program with exotic sounding massages.

Thanks for saying that about the bamboo massages because I was definitely going to get that on my Dec 8th Bliss cruise. I already purchased the Mandara gift certificate for that. I guess I'll ask for more detail before I schedule it.

Thanks,

Janice

my opinion, unless they are running a special it is too much. We have taken advantage of a few spa treatments in the past if they are offering a good package or price on a massage but it is rare. I have gotten pretty good at using the 2 words: no thank you or I guess 3 words when they start the "hard sell" at the end. Sometimes we have gotten a person who does not hard sell.

I write on the bottom of the form they have you fill out that I'm not interested in purchasing any products and would appreciate no sales pitch. It has worked for me so far. Also, if you are platinum, you get 25% off spa treatments when in port. We usually schedule them for the afternoon when we'll be back on board.

Also, you can tell them on your form what kind of pressure you want - light, medium or firm and, if it seems too hard, just tell them back off a bit. I love the bamboo massage - I feel like a giant piece of pie crust :) I like the rolling motion it gives rather than the more digging/poking of a regular massage. My one wish about their spa services is that they did aromatherapy, I love the smell of lavender with a massage. Very relaxing.

I write on the bottom of the form they have you fill out that I'm not interested in purchasing any products and would appreciate no sales pitch. It has worked for me so far..

But, it tells the technician that they are not going to make their sales quota on you, so “pampering” with “extras” won’t get them a sale. And “don’t bother” just “get it done and over with”.

Hey BirdTravels! That may be so, but it doesn't seem to have resulted in my getting less service or a poor massage. Nothing seems to have been cut short. I do usually visit the spa more than once a trip (one massage usually on the 1st day out and one treatment with a massage, like a sugar or salt scrub, the last day), so maybe that has something to do with it. They know I'm coming back. We live in a really small town without spa services, so visits to the spa spell vacation for me.

I write on the bottom of the form they have you fill out that I'm not interested in purchasing any products and would appreciate no sales pitch. It has worked for me so far. Also, if you are platinum, you get 25% off spa treatments when in port. We usually schedule them for the afternoon when we'll be back on board.

Also, you can tell them on your form what kind of pressure you want - light, medium or firm and, if it seems too hard, just tell them back off a bit. I love the bamboo massage - I feel like a giant piece of pie crust :) I like the rolling motion it gives rather than the more digging/poking of a regular massage. My one wish about their spa services is that they did aromatherapy, I love the smell of lavender with a massage. Very relaxing.

All the massages had aromatherapy using those electronic vases with a visible fog coming out. They even had orchids as well.

Would love to hear what buzz words need to be used to get a rolling effect with a bamboo cane. Again, I thought they were attempting to use the stone or bamboo cane to raze my skin off like they used to do to Bison out on the plains. The grunting in applying pressure did not help at all either. Maybe we have to train the therapist as well. In retrospect one of my stone massages was supposed to be Bamboo, the paperwork confirmed that, but she went for stone---maybe she did not know how to do Bamboo yet and I did not know the difference until afterwards (they make sure your eyes are covered for most of the session). Thanks.