Tips

Bevr88

Are we able to relive the daily tips/service charge from your account and tip who we want to?

Whilst American have additional service charges added to their onboard account, if the service is already included in your fare, there is nothing to remove. Americans can pay the daily service charge, then request a refund after the cruise is complete. By removing the daily service charge, some of the hard working crew members that are helping to make your cruise experience excellent get cheated. Best to leave it alone.

Bevr88, this is a hot button for many on these forums. let me answer your question more. Since it appears you are from the UK, people say that your DSC is non-optional and included in your fare. No one will stop you from adding extra tips but that's not what you are asking, I'm sure.

I struggled with the whole DSC and drove folks here crazy helping me sort it out. I'm another one who would prefer to tip directly, but I've come around to the DSC, and while not embracing it, at least "get it".

The deal on the DSC is (my personal interpretation) that it all goes into one big pot that ultimately goes to NCL DSC-receiving crew. Of course, the size of that pot depends on people paying their DSC. Fewer DSC payments, smaller pot. Crew get their share based on performance and a bunch of criteria that aren't public. And the problem is that crew you never see also get a share of the pot. This bugs me because I've never before heard of tipping laundry staff, kitchen staff, etc - but that's how it is.

There are some who say that if you remove DSC and tip directly, those workers are required to turn in their tip to NCL. It's also been said that if you pay your DSC and tip extra, crew get to keep the extra.

So the above is supposition and interpretation but I think it's reasonable.

Some folks here get really nasty about people who want to tip directly and remove DSC. Please guys, just take the question at face value - assume OP is legit and fully intends to tip. No need to flame.

How do you tip those who do your laundry so beautifully? How do you tip the kitchen staff who prepare your wonderful food? Do you tip every waiters and assistant waiters who helps you at every meal?

Those are the people who benefit.

How do you tip those who do your laundry so beautifully? How do you tip the kitchen staff who prepare your wonderful food? Do you tip every waiters and assistant waiters who helps you at every meal?

Those are the people who benefit.

Mike, and it is exactly this point that ticks people off - in NO OTHER scenario other than cruising is there an expectation to tip the kitchen workers and laundry workers for doing their jobs. They certainly do the laundry, but "beautifully"? The towels and linens are clean. The steward makes the towel animals. "Wonderful food" is a matter of opinion and taste. No hotel guests feel compelled to visit the laundry room or kitchen and hand out tips - it's the cleaning person, wait staff, bell staff, concierge, and possibly front desk person and bar staff who one would tip, at least in the US.

What it comes down to is the "social contract" the cruise industry has pushed on the pax, and the inclusion of the kitchen, laundry, and other non one to one workers in the DSC pool so that pax can't allocate their DSC to choose the staff to reward without "punishing" (not my words) the rest of the staff that we don't have an opportunity to tip directly (or wouldn't think to tip directly either). It's very, very effective in getting pax to "tip" or contribute to salary at a much higher rate than they would ordinarily do. Whether or not you agree, it is part of cruising...and that's why people here get so passionate about not removing DSC.

Tipping is one of the silliest concepts, unfortunately it is the norm in North America (and like most North Americans I do tip as appropriate, that does not mean I like it).

I much prefer the position that exists in many other parts of the world that basically amounts to managed is expected to manage their business and the customer experience. If I am not happy with service I complain to management, it is not my role to manage the performance of front line staff and I am not in a position to know if a customer service failure is associated with front line staff member or something else in the back of the house.

In that sense I think the DSC is excellent. Don't look at as a tip, it is simply part of the cost of cruise that happens to be collected on a daily basis.

In that sense I think the DSC is excellent. Don't look at as a tip, it is simply part of the cost of cruise that happens to be collected on a daily basis.
If you look at it that way, it's only a matter of time before we're expected to hand out envelopes at the end of the cruise again. The DSC replaces that practice and in that sense it is a tip.

I look at it this way. For our next cruise that is two weeks we have paid $800 in dsc,ubp gratuities and udp gratuities. That is a lot of tipping. If we stayed in a hotel for two weeks we would not have payed that much tipping. For that reason I usually don’t tip anymore than that on the cruise. I feel I have already paid my fair share of tips.

Are we able to relive the daily tips/service charge from your account and tip who we want to?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

you can and this question comes up every week it seems. Just check and you will see pages on this very topic. I will add, it isn't as easy as you might think. You have to request the DSC be removed, the cruise line will then give you the money back or have it removed from you CC but it can take weeks. I hop you also realize the DSC does not only go to those who personally serve you but people behind the scenes. Please do not even consider doing this :loudcry:

and for those who say if they were on a land vacation they would not be tipping this much: figure it out and you may be surprised. I have done the paper work, and it isn't as bad as some may thing, not to mention there are so many people the DSC benefits from : those who work behind the scenes for starters.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Bevr88, this is a hot button for many on these forums. let me answer your question more. Since it appears you are from the UK, people say that your DSC is non-optional and included in your fare. No one will stop you from adding extra tips but that's not what you are asking, I'm sure.

I struggled with the whole DSC and drove folks here crazy helping me sort it out. I'm another one who would prefer to tip directly, but I've come around to the DSC, and while not embracing it, at least "get it".

The deal on the DSC is (my personal interpretation) that it all goes into one big pot that ultimately goes to NCL DSC-receiving crew. Of course, the size of that pot depends on people paying their DSC. Fewer DSC payments, smaller pot. Crew get their share based on performance and a bunch of criteria that aren't public. And the problem is that crew you never see also get a share of the pot. This bugs me because I've never before heard of tipping laundry staff, kitchen staff, etc - but that's how it is.

There are some who say that if you remove DSC and tip directly, those workers are required to turn in their tip to NCL. It's also been said that if you pay your DSC and tip extra, crew get to keep the extra.

So the above is supposition and interpretation but I think it's reasonable.

Some folks here get really nasty about people who want to tip directly and remove DSC. Please guys, just take the question at face value - assume OP is legit and fully intends to tip. No need to flame.

and there are reasons some get nasty. We all can pretty well figure out why someone would want to remove the DSC. this tipping individually crap is just that: Crap!!! They don't want to tip the required amount. :rolleyes:

I look at it this way. For our next cruise that is two weeks we have paid $800 in dsc,ubp gratuities and udp gratuities. That is a lot of tipping. If we stayed in a hotel for two weeks we would not have payed that much tipping. For that reason I usually don’t tip anymore than that on the cruise. I feel I have already paid my fair share of tips.

And if stayed home for two weeks you would not tip either. Neither situation is relevant.

As a UK guest paying a Premium All inclusive price the DSC no longer exists. You pay a fare. How NCL decide to apportion that fare is entirely their business. You pay a fare and that fare includes what used to be the DSC, it also includes something that may be construed as the UBP and its associated gratuities and it also includes your stateroom, some internet time and a bottled water package. None of these are priced individually within your fare, they are included within the whole fare.

So as for removing the DSC under Premium All inclusive? Probably not.

and there are reasons some get nasty. We all can pretty well figure out why someone would want to remove the DSC. this tipping individually crap is just that: Crap!!! They don't want to tip the required amount. :rolleyes:

There is no required amount.