NCL Sun - for a family of 4, is the Mini Suite worth getting a Balcony Room?

Wubbajk

I have not been on Norwegian in 25 years. We are going on the NCL Sun next June for my brothers weeding and will be taking our 10 and 12yr old kids. On the website, the MiniSuite picture looks like it has a curtain that you can pull, to give some privacy between the main bed and the sofa bed. When I talked to the agent, he said that there was no such curtain on the Mini Suite or the Balcony room. Is that true? Also, for $600 more, is it worth to have the extra space, which looks to be about 80sq. ft for the room? My 4th grader is not quite 5 ft tall and 70lbs, the 7th grader is about 5'8" (taller than me) and we are trying to get them a big enough bed that will work for them, without having the cost of 2 cabins. they talked about their being bunk beds, but I am just not picturing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We just went on a cruise for me and my husband on Carnival a couple of weeks ago for a high school reunion and we are really new to cruising, as I stated earlier, the only other cruise we were on was 25 years ago. :D

We were in a mini suite on the Sun. I don't recall a curtain. I will say that the larger bathroom is useful. Lots of storage space in the bathroom for clothes in the closet or drawers, so that a person isn't disturbing the rest of the cabin if they get up early. Also gives some privacy for dressing as well. I think the cabin itself is the same size as a regular balcony cabin, with the extra sq. footage coming from the bathroom.

We were in a mini suite on the Sun. I don't recall a curtain. I will say that the larger bathroom is useful. Lots of storage space in the bathroom for clothes in the closet or drawers, so that a person isn't disturbing the rest of the cabin if they get up early. Also gives some privacy for dressing as well. I think the cabin itself is the same size as a regular balcony cabin, with the extra sq. footage coming from the bathroom.

I believe on the older ships, the space is bigger, on the newer mega ships, just the bathroom. I think I’ve read here that Sum mini Suites are worth extra money.

I don't know if they took the curtains away in the updating they did on the SUN but there was indeed a curtain between the bed and the sofabed. The minis on the SUN are way nice and you do get more space. I was in a balcony on this ship and on the cabin crawl got to visit a mini, and wow there was a lot more room.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

If it is affordable the best arrangement would be two balcony cabins adjacent to each other with a common door.

The SUN mini-suites on deck 11 are great with plenty of storage and bath space but no significant advantage in

the actual cabin sleeping and balcony floor plan arrangement.

A big plus advantage with two cabins is two bath toilet facilities dressing areas and then of course a better more

comfortable bedding solution.

A less expensive alternative to this is a balcony cabin with an inside cabin across the passageway.

First time cruises are not apt to get the grasp of this - those that have cruised before will get the idea.

SUN mini-suite:

Bedding for mom & pop or guests 1 & 2 is a standard Queen size bed that can be split into two beds.

The convertible couch is not all that good and when deployed prevents easy access to the balcony.

The couch while just barely wide enough for two adults kids should do OK.

There is a curtain divider between the beds and the couch but it is just that a curtain and not a noise barrier.

They gave us Cabin 1013 on the Pool Deck (Deck 11).

I will let you all know what it is like, once next June gets here

xxx

I was in 1010 and my neighbor in 1009 was not too kind on leaving or entering his cabin.

The cabin door would slam shut with a shattering noise and loud talk heard thru the rather

thin walls between the two cabins.

Neighbors that care about neighbors and are aware of the problem - a livable situation.

Hope your next door cabin mates in 1014 are pleasant.

The best two cabins to have are 1015 and 1215 with a single separate entry passage -

one is next to the aerobics studio and not a problem if you are not a day camper

in your cabin - the other is next to the spa/salon with customary business hours.

When viewing the NCL deck 11 plans for the SUN disregard the irregular cabin shapes

they are not as depicted.

Location nice and quiet - only drawback is all the foody places are at the other end of

the ship but that shouldn't be a problem burning all those calories off getting back to

your cabin.

Closest bars - one is the Topsiders on the Pool deck and the other the Observation Lounge

one deck above you - take the stairs or elevator just around the corner from your cabin.

Enjoy - - - !