Vegan needs advice/help for POA cruise to Hawaii October 6-13

JillSR

I reached out to NCL's "help desk" almost FOUR weeks ago to discuss my being a vegan with many food sensitivities. I got back a read receipt on 7/31 so I know it was received. However, I have not heard a single thing back and was told by the customer service department that NCL only accommodates vegetarians, not vegans! :mad::mad::mad:We NEVER would have booked on NCL if we knew this in advance. We have traveled on RC, Celebrity and Oceania of which all 3 were extremely helpful both in advance and on the ship. Unfortunately all 7 in our party had already booked non-refundable airfare making a cancellation of the trip not feasible.

Questions:

Do cabins have a mini-fridge in the room? If so, would there be room to squeeze some individual soy yogurts, container of hummus, vegan butter, etc.?

There is a Whole Foods in Maui where I can stock up on a few vegan sources of protein. (I'm allergic to nuts among many seasonings, so finding peanut butter on board won't help.) I was told we may not bring any food on board, but weapons and alcohol were the only prohibited items listed in the terms & conditions.

Has anyone noticed any protein sources such as veggie burger, edamame or bean dishes that might be vegan? Do they have soy milk? Italian ices or dairy free sorbet? Unseasoned beans in the salad bar area? Pasta without eggs?

Any insight or advice will be very much appreciated!!

• Thanks 1

I’ve usually found ncl very accommodating for special diets. Have you emailed access desk or just the general customer services? Access desk are the people to get in touch with.

Once onboard speak with guest services and they can set up a meeting with the maitre d to talk through your requirements. I’ve cruised with vegans before who have found things usually in the buffet, but did supplement with their own snack bars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve usually found ncl very accommodating for special diets. Have you emailed access desk or just the general customer services? Access desk are the people to get in touch with.

Once onboard speak with guest services and they can set up a meeting with the maitre d to talk through your requirements. I’ve cruised with vegans before who have found things usually in the buffet, but did supplement with their own snack bars...

Yes, access desk is where I e-mailed. Hopefully they will get back to me answering some of my questions prior to sailing. Thanks for the hopeful reply!

I reached out to NCL's "help desk" almost FOUR weeks ago to discuss my being a vegan with many food sensitivities. I got back a read receipt on 7/31 so I know it was received. However, I have not heard a single thing back and was told by the customer service department that NCL only accommodates vegetarians, not vegans! :mad::mad::mad:We NEVER would have booked on NCL if we knew this in advance. We have traveled on RC, Celebrity and Oceania of which all 3 were extremely helpful both in advance and on the ship. Unfortunately all 7 in our party had already booked non-refundable airfare making a cancellation of the trip not feasible.

Questions:

Do cabins have a mini-fridge in the room? If so, would there be room to squeeze some individual soy yogurts, container of hummus, vegan butter, etc.?

There is a Whole Foods in Maui where I can stock up on a few vegan sources of protein. (I'm allergic to nuts among many seasonings, so finding peanut butter on board won't help.) I was told we may not bring any food on board, but weapons and alcohol were the only prohibited items listed in the terms & conditions.

Has anyone noticed any protein sources such as veggie burger, edamame or bean dishes that might be vegan? Do they have soy milk? Italian ices or dairy free sorbet? Unseasoned beans in the salad bar area? Pasta without eggs?

Any insight or advice will be very much appreciated!!

Maybe you should try to email the access desk again. I find them very helpful in the 2 times I cruised with NCL. I only did 2 cruises and they are both with NCL. I emailed the access desk about my conditions and my allergies. They replied back to me and told me to fill out the form. Once I filled out the form, I emailed it back. Once on board, I receive a letter in the stateroom to tell me to meet with the maitre d in the main dining room to talk about what I am allergy to and asked me which nights would I be in a specialty restaurant or in the main dining room. I was able to see the menu and food was prepared ahead of time. Was very accommodating and helpful.

Yes, cabins would have a mini fridge. Ask the room steward to empty the fridge on the first day. Should have room to put in some drinks as well as what you wanted in it. I am unsure about not able to bring food on board. I noticed some people do buy food (chips, cookies) and was able to do so?? Maybe certain food that are sealed in a bag or can.

There is a Whole Foods in Maui where I can stock up on a few vegan sources of protein. (I'm allergic to nuts among many seasonings, so finding peanut butter on board won't help.) I was told we may not bring any food on board...

Norwegian's FAQs state that food may be brought on board if it is prepackaged and unopened. If you do have to go to Whole Foods, it is right across the street from the port in Maui (in Maui Mall) - easily walkable.

Norwegian's FAQs state that food may be brought on board if it is prepackaged and unopened. If you do have to go to Whole Foods, it is right across the street from the port in Maui (in Maui Mall) - easily walkable.

I didn't see that FAQ. THANK YOU!!

It isn’t something I look out for, but I did notice at the barbecue on the pool deck on Friday that there was a large sign for a Vegan pasta dish. I don’t know how common that is, but it indicates that there are some options.

One of my dearest friends is Vegan and sails on NCL a couple times a year. She said she has never had a problem getting something to eat and that while their variety may not be that of on land, she has never gone hungry or had the desire to quit sailing. Not sure that helps much but hoping it will put your mind at ease a bit. She and her husband will be cruising with us again in 3 weeks.

While not vegan, I try to eat plant based as much as possible. For lunch, NCL has a good salad bar with either chickpeas or black beans to add protein (not sure if that's part of your allergies though) There is a veggie burger that I think is vegan. You had to ask for it to be made where they make the burgers.

NCL, hands down, has some of the best vegan food I have had on land....or sea. Never fear - you WILL gain weight!

You CANNOT bring refrigerated food back on-board - they will stop you at customs. However, if you like protein shakes, powders, etc - get the prepackaged varieties and pack in a suitcase. You can ask your steward or guest services for a carton of non-dairy milk for your room - just store in your fridge (plenty of room) - or bring your own in your carry-on.

There is always something great on the buffet - Indian and Asian sections specifically. Check the bread selection - usually the white / French bread are vegan. Pasta - always ask if it's egg pasta. Tons of rice dishes, vegetable dishes and salad bar on the buffet. The restaurants will go out of their way to accommodate you especially if you hunt down the maitre d' the day of your reservation (or before) and let them know about your dietary restrictions. If you thank you waiter and the maitre d' with a lovely tip - you will find that everything is much easier on your next meal.

There is almond and soy milks readily available - even at the specialty coffee shops. Check the "non-dairy creamer" though - sometimes they are actually dairy (look almost identical). There are gluten-free beers and wines available too if that is a requirement. Ask about the alcoholic beverages - you can request coconut cream to replace cream in some of the drinks (like a coffee 'milkshake' with vodka - so, so lovely).

On the buffet there is always a sorbet, and often a vegan dessert - you just have to hunt a bit. The chocolate-covered strawberries are often made with dark-chocolate and no dairy - just ask.

My go-to at the specialty restaurants is salad, pasta, roasted veggies and sorbet for dessert. Can't ask for much better than that! For my birthday "breakfast" in June on the Escape - the waitresses arranged for a vegan bran muffin with raspberry coulis spelling out "Happy Birthday", fresh melon and berries, and an almond milk latte. HEAVEN!!!

Enjoy the vacation - and prepared to be surprised by the dining options you will have!

Amy

you can have someone meet with you at hte start of the cruise and they can have special meals prepared for you. since you arent cruising until october, that may be why they have not yet gotten back to you - they are workign with folks who are cruising in late aug/sept.

I'm sure they would be able to prepare vegan dishes for you either by modifying an existing dish or by preparing a dish separately for you if you order your dinner a day in advance. There is definitely an abundance of fresh vegetables and fruit, potatoes, rice, beans on board. They most likely have tofu. They can cook your food in oil instead of butter or just steam the veggies. Just make sure they know that you do not eat any animal products and list your your allergies (this should be clearly written on your Access Desk form). For breakfast and lunch, I would imagine that there is oatmeal, fresh fruit, soy milk, almond milk, juice. There is an abundance of salad greens. You cannot take perishables aboard, but bring on your favorite vegan granola bars and vegan dark chocolate bars that are individually wrapped. You could also bring dried fruit in individual packs as long as they are factory sealed.