Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:43 PM.
Gold Coast
10,621 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Donald - Looking at advertisement for an Alaskan cruise, I wondered when your next cruise to Alaska will be.

Azamara and Cunard will both be cruising to Alaska.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
West Country, UK
4,367 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
[quote=Saga Ruby;55861091]To Sharon and Marion

It is so interesting to read your stories about river cruising. And, Sharon, thanks for your usual informative photos and narrative.

I think it was Conte who wrote about bad weather and river cruises. It was a story about the river water volume being so high that a ship got tossed up into a small town square. As I did my research, it seemed that the word "bus" was used quite a lot for getting pax from port to port, town to town. I do not want to cruise on a bus tour.

Due to climate change, I decided not to sign up for a river boat cruise. In the ensuing years, I have had no reason to regret this decision as I read the weather reports in the paper and also the comments from Sharon about lousy weather in the UK which seemed to worsen.

I dunno - maybe I missed something but the idea of clinging on to ropes to disembark to a bus in yet another quaint village put Paid to my plans.

Ruby

[/quote]

No buses at all on my cruise Ruby - and lots of boats on the Rhine. I was really lucky with the weather as in most places I had bright sunshine, albeit cold.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:
https://photos.google.com/albums
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonsshiptravels/
Blog: http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas, Botel Holland, Filia Rheni II
Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Marco Polo

To come:-
Oriana - Iceland & Greenland July 2018
Arcadia - USA & Canada Sept 2018

Arcadia World Cruise 2019
2,529 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MMDown Under
Donald - Looking at advertisement for an Alaskan cruise, I wondered when your next cruise to Alaska will be.

Azamara and Cunard will both be cruising to Alaska.
Marion, I will cruise solo June 3-10 and with David August 5-12, both round-trips Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver aboard Celebrity Infinity. Next year David and I are booked on Celebrity Eclipse for our first experience aboard a large apartment barge, because Celebrity is using her on the round-trips, while Infinity will be used on the northbound to Seward and southbound from Seward cruises. It will be very interesting for us to see if we will like or dislike the monster ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed itineraries (65): Alaska (31), Mexican Riviera (16), Caribbean (7), Hawaii (4), Panama Canal (3), Pacific Northwest (2), New England/Canada (1), Transatlantic (1)

Cruise lines (65): Celebrity (37), Holland America (11), Royal Caribbean (7), NCL (3), Carnival (2), Princess (2), other (3)

Next Infinity 2018 June 3 (Alaska); Infinity 2018 August 5 (Alaska).
Gold Coast
10,621 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Kapricorn
Marion, I will cruise solo June 3-10 and with David August 5-12, both round-trips Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver aboard Celebrity Infinity. Next year David and I are booked on Celebrity Eclipse for our first experience aboard a large apartment barge, because Celebrity is using her on the round-trips, while Infinity will be used on the northbound to Seward and southbound from Seward cruises. It will be very interesting for us to see if we will like or dislike the monster ships.
Must feel nice to have three round trip cruises booked for Alaska. I looked up Eclipse and saw that it gets good reviews and is the same class as Solstice, which is a popular ship cruising Down Under.

It will be interesting to see whether you like it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
2,529 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Yesterday, global warming ("fake news"?) resulted in Vancouver just breaking by a hair-width the previous record for the day of 25.0C (77.0F) in 1973 with a 25.1C (77.2F). Today was another scorcher but not quite up to the 1997 record. How were the weather in England, Australia and Dallas? I understood that it was unusually chilly in England the previous winter.

During the past winter Vancouver had mostly below-normal temperatures and high rainfall. Already in southeastern British Columbia the heavy snow-packs which piled up during winter quickly melted under above-normal temperatures, causing widespread flooding. People had to be evacuated from their homes. That's really sad, as people usually move to these spots to enjoy their retirement years.

Residence prices in Vancouver have become astronomically high. Bungalows that used to fetch five figures in dollars now get seven figures. There are signs in windows of many, many businesses around here, even Wendy's Burgers - "Now Hiring!" People on low income simply cannot afford to live in Vancouver.

Donald.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed itineraries (65): Alaska (31), Mexican Riviera (16), Caribbean (7), Hawaii (4), Panama Canal (3), Pacific Northwest (2), New England/Canada (1), Transatlantic (1)

Cruise lines (65): Celebrity (37), Holland America (11), Royal Caribbean (7), NCL (3), Carnival (2), Princess (2), other (3)

2,529 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Here is an illustration of the new Celebrity Edge class of cruise ships. I think that I found how to add .jpg to here - click on it and see if you can open up the picture.

Donald.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edge.JPG (45.9 KB, 5 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

492 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Donald, that does work. But more interesting to me is that when I saw your posting on the CruiseCritic app on my android phone, the jpeg was immediately visible in the body of the posting. When I clicked on the picture it opened a larger version in a separate screen. I've been trying to find a work-around for posting pictures here in the text. Gone are the days when photo sites allowed linkage of the URL of a picture in my albums directly into this site. Very frustrating.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ships on Which I've Sailed
C. Columbus
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Mercury
Constitution
Crown Odyssey
Danau Prinzessin
Eurodam
Europa
Fairsky
Fascination
France
Galaxy
Galileo Galilei
Leonardo da Vinci
Michelangelo
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Oceanic
Oriana
QE2
QM2
Queen Victoria
R6
Raffaello
Rotterdam VI
Royal Princess
Royal Viking Star
Sagafjord
Saga Rose
Santa Rosa
Sardegna
Seven Seas Mariner
Seven Seas Navigator
Seven Seas Voyager
Sicilia
Silver Cloud
Silver Spirit
Silver Wind
Sky Princess
Sovereign of The Seas
Stella Solaris
Valtur Prima
Volendam

Some of The Classic Vessels Visited But, Alas, Not Sailed On
Amerikanis
Angelina Lauro
Atlantic (Home Lines)
Argentina (Moore-McCormack)
Berlin (North German LLoyd)
Bremen (North German LLoyd)
Canberra
Cristoforo Colombo
Cunard Countess
Doric
Gripsholm
Guglielmo Marconi
Nordic Prince
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Mary
Queen of Bermuda
Rotterdam V
Royal Viking Sun
Saga Ruby
Saturnia
Savannah
Scandanavia
Song of America
Statendam V
Statendam VI
Tropicale
United States
Veendam
Volendam
2,529 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Conte Di Savoia
Donald, that does work. But more interesting to me is that when I saw your posting on the CruiseCritic app on my android phone, the jpeg was immediately visible in the body of the posting. When I clicked on the picture it opened a larger version in a separate screen. I've been trying to find a work-around for posting pictures here in the text. Gone are the days when photo sites allowed linkage of the URL of a picture in my albums directly into this site. Very frustrating.
Conte, I used the CC feature that used to result in these tiny impractical thumbnails of pictures. To my surprise it now will show pictures in reasonable sizes after the jpg has been clicked on. Perhaps CC has realized the limitations of transferring photos from photo sites by those unwilling to pay for third party hosting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Irving TX
2,034 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I remember when Hulu was a free service. All the college students were using it. When Hulu became a "pay to play" service, there was much moaning and gnashing of teeth while financial decisions were made to stay or leave the service.

I still smile at the memory of a gentleman many years ago who was "informed" about the e-world. He said it was a completely flawless system of negative/positive. Oh really? What about power supply, lightning strikes, the dog ate your router?

Speaking of corporate decisions, I don't get the financial gain for the structure of Celebrity Edge. There must be some reason to step so far out of maritime tradition to build a truly ugly ship. What are the red vertical "ladders" on the side of the ship? The lifeboats?

Ruby

2,529 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Saga Ruby
Speaking of corporate decisions, I don't get the financial gain for the structure of Celebrity Edge. There must be some reason to step so far out of maritime tradition to build a truly ugly ship. What are the red vertical "ladders" on the side of the ship? The lifeboats?

Ruby

The "red vertical ladder" is actually the elevator system for a structure protruding from the side of the ship which serves as a poolside lounge during the days at sea, and the furniture is removed before it is lowered to the bottom deck to be used as a embarking and disembarking platform. Its use as the poolside lounge is shown in the attached illustration.

Donald.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edge 2.jpg (67.3 KB, 7 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2,529 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I found out from elsewhere in internet that the "red ladder" elevator also serves as a cocktail lounge in the evenings when it is lowered to the promenade deck. As for the bottom deck, it is used as disembarking and embarking for cruisers using tenders if the ship is not at dock. That made sense, as I've seen a few passengers have a difficult time negotiating the swaying and bouncing side ramps into the tenders.

So, that elevator has three uses: afternoon poolside lounge, evening cocktail lounge, and sea tender area when needed. Can we imagine the Titanic with it?.

Donald.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature