Tipping on PG and in FP

EaglesWing

While I understand that gratuities for the ship are included in the fare, I wonder if it is expected to tip when you get a special service such as room service. Any thoughts? Amounts?

Also, do FP tour guides normally get a tip? Amount if so?

Thanks!

While I understand that gratuities for the ship are included in the fare, I wonder if it is expected to tip when you get a special service such as room service. Any thoughts? Amounts?

Also, do FP tour guides normally get a tip? Amount if so?

Thanks!

Loaded question ....

Yes all tips are included on the PG. This comes down to the question did the person go beyond the scope of their job.

Several frequent cruisers take along little gifts to give away, that is what I do and we hand them out very liberally at the end of the cruise.

The question with excursion vendors .... I always look at the vendor and size up his/her age. If they are under 40 they know they probably expect a tip. If they look older than 40 they may be offended if I tip.

Historically it was considered rude to offer a tip as Polynesians were proud of doing a good job and expected nothing more than what they pay was. As things became more westernized the younger generation has an expectation of a tip.

Loaded question ....

Yes all tips are included on the PG. This comes down to the question did the person go beyond the scope of their job.

Several frequent cruisers take along little gifts to give away, that is what I do and we hand them out very liberally at the end of the cruise.

The question with excursion vendors .... I always look at the vendor and size up his/her age. If they are under 40 they know they probably expect a tip. If they look older than 40 they may be offended if I tip.

Historically it was considered rude to offer a tip as Polynesians were proud of doing a good job and expected nothing more than what they pay was. As things became more westernized the younger generation has an expectation of a tip.

I appreciate the OP’s question as a newbie to FP regarding gratuities, as I do not want to offend on either end of the spectrum that TBK highlights. So what “little gifts” do you take along that staff might appreciate? Approx. how much might a reasonable tip be for the “more westernized the younger generation”....and who exactly might you tip (room attendant? Bartender? Restaurant staff?)?

Thanks in advance for your reflections!

:) Lisa

I appreciate the OP’s question as a newbie to FP regarding gratuities, as I do not want to offend on either end of the spectrum that TBK highlights. So what “little gifts” do you take along that staff might appreciate? Approx. how much might a reasonable tip be for the “more westernized the younger generation”....and who exactly might you tip (room attendant? Bartender? Restaurant staff?)?

Thanks in advance for your reflections!

:) Lisa

I do not tip any of the PG crew but give out gifts as a token of our appreciation. Gifts are from our home town so they are personal. We usually take a few bottles of great Paso Robles wine and give those to someone that appreciates fine wine so usually a officer or head of a department. California wines are a bit tough to get in FP, especially a high quality cab. We also take Paso Almond Brittle as Paso Robles was well known as the almond capital of the world prior to becoming an outstanding wine region. We usually bring along about 15 bags of it and hand it out liberally the last day of the cruise.

As far as excursion vendors .... I never tip the owner if he/she is on the tour but others if they are young we might consider tipping. Remember many jobs in FP already have a tip figured in to the grand total, depending on the job it is mandatory from the government, you might not know but many times the pay one receives already has this 'tip' figured in. A small excursion vendor may not have such a figure built in .... thus a tip of 10% my be appropriate.

We usually give a tip or two to those who have especially been helpful to us. I go to Costco and buy a large can of almond roca or some other tasty candy. We give it to the head waiter as we first go into the dining room asking that it be given to the kitchen staff. Others go to the front desk and give a contribution to the crew fund which is used for emergencies and parties. One should definitely not feel obligated to give in anyway.

The first time we were in FP, in 2000, it was on an out-island, Manihi. The first night I tipped the bar maid, and the next night she was still angry and didn't want to serve me. Disasater! Finally we patched it over by allowing her to buy Wendy and me a drink after she got off work. The culture is changing, but beware triggering this sort of conflict. As TBK says, it wasn't and still in some places isn't part of the culture.

Finally, there is a crew appreciation fund or some such name. It is not widely advertised, but if you want to monetarily thank all the crew, both those you see in the "front of the house" and the folks you don't see, consider donating to it. It is used for perqs for the crew (musical instruments in the staff areas, parties, emergency flights home for family emergencies, etc.). Reception will happily accept donations, and on many cruises you also get a chance on a piece of art done by one or more crew-members.