Will I be bored?

SeeTheSeas18

Firstly, I apologize for posting another of this sort of thread. I’m sure I’m just another in a long line of people asking others to validate their cruise choices.

My family is entirely adults. It would be my brother and I (both in our 20s) and my mom (in her 50s). We’ve cruised on Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas a few years ago and will be cruising the new Symphony of the Seas when she makes her transatlantic crossing this October. We’re planning on booking another cruise (together with a short jaunt at Disney World) for Fall of 2019.

Originally, I was planning on booking the Harmony of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. I was thinking I would book us in a suite-level accommodation for the first time so we could take advantage of all the perks that offers. Then my brother mentioned doing a Disney Cruise (specifically the Fantasy) in a more basic stateroom instead and essentially derailed my planning/train of thought.

To be completely clear, I love Disney. My mom loves Disney. My brother loves Disney. We did two weeks at Disney World last year in addition to me having a Disneyland annual pass and making the trek at least once a month.

Everything I see of the small touches on Disney ships just melts my heart. They seem fabulous and detailed through and through. Each restaurant in the rotational dining list seems fabulously themed and exciting.

My worry is that I don’t know if there’s much for adults to DO on a Disney cruise. I’ve never been a laze-around-the-pool kind of person. We hit the parks pretty hard when we visit Disney. On our Oasis cruise, I probably spent half of each Sea day on the FlowRider, and the other half finding some different activity. There’s so many different things to do, I worry I’d be bored on a smaller ship.

It seems evenings are completely fine, between dinner, shows, and adults-only lounges. My problem is during the day.

If I don’t want to lounge by the pool all day and I’ve already met my favorite character or two and done the Aquaduck a couple times, what is left for active and/or younger adults on a Disney Cruise during a sea day? And would you recommend it over a Royal Caribbean Oasis class Suite? It seems like Disney does the “little touches” so well...but Royal has so many BIG touches, even if they’re not as well executed.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks in advance for any help! :)

I have not been in our Disney cruise yet, but have always wanted to check it out. I have seen a few people with out kids posting that they loved it. I know there is a mixology class. Have your tried looking at the navigator to see if there are activities you and your family will enjoy?

Wish I could help more. There's also a Disney cruise site, not sure if I'm permitted to post link here.

Firstly, I apologize for posting another of this sort of thread. I’m sure I’m just another in a long line of people asking others to validate their cruise choices.

My family is entirely adults. It would be my brother and I (both in our 20s) and my mom (in her 50s). We’ve cruised on Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas a few years ago and will be cruising the new Symphony of the Seas when she makes her transatlantic crossing this October. We’re planning on booking another cruise (together with a short jaunt at Disney World) for Fall of 2019.

Originally, I was planning on booking the Harmony of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. I was thinking I would book us in a suite-level accommodation for the first time so we could take advantage of all the perks that offers. Then my brother mentioned doing a Disney Cruise (specifically the Fantasy) in a more basic stateroom instead and essentially derailed my planning/train of thought.

To be completely clear, I love Disney. My mom loves Disney. My brother loves Disney. We did two weeks at Disney World last year in addition to me having a Disneyland annual pass and making the trek at least once a month.

Everything I see of the small touches on Disney ships just melts my heart. They seem fabulous and detailed through and through. Each restaurant in the rotational dining list seems fabulously themed and exciting.

My worry is that I don’t know if there’s much for adults to DO on a Disney cruise. I’ve never been a laze-around-the-pool kind of person. We hit the parks pretty hard when we visit Disney. On our Oasis cruise, I probably spent half of each Sea day on the FlowRider, and the other half finding some different activity. There’s so many different things to do, I worry I’d be bored on a smaller ship.

It seems evenings are completely fine, between dinner, shows, and adults-only lounges. My problem is during the day.

If I don’t want to lounge by the pool all day and I’ve already met my favorite character or two and done the Aquaduck a couple times, what is left for active and/or younger adults on a Disney Cruise during a sea day? And would you recommend it over a Royal Caribbean Oasis class Suite? It seems like Disney does the “little touches” so well...but Royal has so many BIG touches, even if they’re not as well executed.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks in advance for any help! :)

There seems to be plenty to do. Even in the daytime. Trivia games, tastings/mixology classes, movies, cooking classes. Not to mention, the port stops and the activities you can do there.

If you do a google search for Disney cruise Navigators, you'll find a blog that you can check the past Navigators for what sorts of activities are available on the cruises.

During the day, DCL has many of the same sort of trivia games that you'll find on Celebrity and Princess. These are listed under "family" activities on the Navigator, meaning open to all ages. There are mixology classes for a small fee open to those over 21. Beyond that, it depends on the cruise you book. There used to be an "educational" series, but that largely seems to have been discontinued. Some cruises have special guests doing lectures or presentations. These people are Disney employees, entertainers, or whatever and the presentations are excellent (none of the boring port adventure guides like on other lines).

And there are movies.....miniature golf, a sports deck, a sports simulator (fee), midship detective agency (yes, you'll do this once), etc.

Honestly, there isn't a lot for adults to do if you aren't into those things. DCL is not really big on high activity things for teens and young adults. Is this enough for you? Only you can answer that.

The Fantasy does have some stuff that will appeal to adults beyond the sitting around a pool, as mentioned by moki'smommy, but I am not sure if it will appeal enough for you based on what you have posted. I'll be quite honest in saying that I am not sure if I would cruise DCL if it weren't for my kids. I would definitely check out the blog with Personal Navigators posted and look for ones specific to the 7 day Fantasy if that's the itinerary you're considering. It will give you an idea of what the various activities are.

We’ve cruises on the Fantasy twice as well as Oasis of the Seas and two Princess Cruises. The Fantasy has nowhere near as many adult oriented activities during the day as Princess or the Oasis class ships. We were so spoiled by the activities on other lines and then went back to the Fantasy and we were not impressed after we had seen what was out there for adults on other lines. That’s not to say that it isn’t a wonderful cruise, because it is. It just really lacks in day activities that aren’t already built into the ship.

I’d choose the Western as you have one additional port day so you feel like you have less time to fill on sea days.

Also, I found that character pics took a lot more time than I was expecting. if you are into that, picture taking with several characters during the cruise really takes up a good chunk of time.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I took a look at a navigator as suggested - the daytime events on some of the sea days are definitely less packed in than the Oasis class ships. I don’t want to end up being in the theater all for multiple movies just to not feel bored! Then again, it could probably be said that I need to learn to relax on vacations. :P

The midship detective agency does sound like a lot of fun, though. We enjoyed both the pirates scavenger hunt and sorcerers of the magic kingdom on our trip to Disney World last year, and this sounds like it’s in the spirit of those.

Mixology and cooking classes also sound right up my alley! What are the prices usually like on the mixology classes? I know the ones they offer at Epcot’s Food and Wine festival are usually fairly pricy.

Thanks again for the help! I’ll go over a few navigators with my family and see what the consensus is

Mixology and cooking classes also sound right up my alley! What are the prices usually like on the mixology classes? I know the ones they offer at Epcot’s Food and Wine festival are usually fairly pricy.

Not sure about mixology, but tastings are $20/person. We did the wine tasting and mojito/caipirinha tasting on Fantasy. Both were a lot of fun and informative.

Yes, I believe Mixology was $25, and it was a lot of fun. We didn't do the one that was booked by our cruise group on fb - as i managed to snag a booking into Mixology. But, for all its tastings, DCL does hold back a number of tickets at guest services. I think the chocolate and liqueur one is $35, but otherwise they are around the $20-25 mark.

My kids really enjoyed the sports simulator and the golf one looked fun too. Midship detective agency is like Sorcerers, though no cards to collect.

I'd also really recommend Palo brunch which is only on a sea day.

Fantasy offers a "Palo be a chef" (I'm sure I have the name wrong) class that is apparently hard to sign up for as it's quite small, it is $279/pp. The every day "anyone can cook" seminars are not exactly cooking classes, more like a cooking demo.

I definitely think our cruise on the Fantasy was about relaxing. That is partly why I choose cruising in general, because I really like being able to not think too hard.

Just got back from Disney World with my granddaughter and Now she is asking for a Disney Cruise for her 5th Bday coming up later this year. Just wondering if Disney has childcare and how that works, thinking I might want a few hours to myself for whatever. I am 45.

Just got back from Disney World with my granddaughter and Now she is asking for a Disney Cruise for her 5th Bday coming up later this year. Just wondering if Disney has childcare and how that works, thinking I might want a few hours to myself for whatever. I am 45.

Onboard the cruise ships is Oceaneer's Club/Lab. For ages 3-12. It's open, basically, from 9:00 am to midnight. You can sign your granddaughter into the Club at any time, for however long you wish (as long as she's willing to remain there).

There are Open House hours where you can accompany her into the Club to participate with her in the activities.

There's no private childcare (babysitting) available.

my daughter and son in law are 30 years old...

they LOVE cruising disney....

yes there are trivia games and quiz games....including love and marriage and a quest like game (though not on the level of royal's, but still fun)....

keep in mind you can also go into the kids clubs when they have open house hours..

you don't have to have kids with you...they're open to adults during open house hours..

my daughter and son in law go in and play with all the high tech stuff in there of which there is tons.....

they say it's a blast, including the electronic floor games...

it sounds weird i'm sure, but they've done it many times...it's allowed....and fun..

by the way, when looking at the navigators, you need to make sure you're looking at sea days vs port days..

there are fewer on board activities on port days....

i assume you checked this website...the best source for navigators..

look at the disney fantasy and at the cruise you're contemplating..

and look at sea days vs port days..

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

We're two guys in our early 30's with no kids, and we were never bored on our Disney cruise. We pretty much filled up our days with the onboard activities, and at night we did the adults-only stuff, which we managed to win twice. Last time, Disney paired us up with 6 other passengers around our age, and through some sort of Disney magic, they became our close friends, and we're all going on a trip to Europe this year. I'm more of a destination kind of guy, so I thought I'd hate the Disney cruise since we don't have kids, but I was completely wrong.

Onboard the cruise ships is Oceaneer's Club/Lab. For ages 3-12. It's open, basically, from 9:00 am to midnight. You can sign your granddaughter into the Club at any time, for however long you wish (as long as she's willing to remain there).

There are Open House hours where you can accompany her into the Club to participate with her in the activities.

There's no private childcare (babysitting) available.

Thanks!!