Service Reward Letter

jeanlyon

So you didn't simply want to leave a tip, but you wanted to receive the reward of knowing that the CS considered you were generous to them.

You didn't simply want to give the money but wanted something in return.

If you were simply rewarding good service what difference would it make to you whether the CS thought you were the "tightwad" or the guy flashing their money around.

Yes I want the crew to know I appreciate them otherwise I wouldn't tip.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Forums mobile app

So you didn't simply want to leave a tip, but you wanted to receive the reward of knowing that the CS considered you were generous to them.

If you were simply rewarding good service what difference would it make to you whether the CS thought you were the "tightwad" or the guy flashing their money around.

Tend to agree. I don't need him/her to know whether I',m generous or a tightwad. I think I will do it as I have always done. An envelope with his/her name on it! Sorted.

I tend to agree with your sentiment, but not the way you are expressing it.

I don't really care whether the crew member thinks I am tight or overly generous, but I do hope they are at least happy to have received a little gesture of my thanks for their service.

I tend to agree with your sentiment, but not the way you are expressing it.

I don't really care whether the crew member thinks I am tight or overly generous, but I do hope they are at least happy to have received a little gesture of my thanks for their service.

We introduce ourselves with our first names to our CS when we meet for the first time and when we leave a tip envelope it will say:-

Many thanks for helping to make our cruise special, Graham & Pauline.

It is mutual respect we express and nothing to do with lording it over anyone.

This puts pay in these countries into perspective compared to what unskilled workers make on the ships.

The crew are brilliant and work hard but many have told me they open businesses back home after a few years working on the ship and they feel the sacrifices are worth it.

Which is the correct way to look at it it appeals me that someone thinks the crew are overpaid because they earn more than others where they come from

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Well I have learned something on here. I have always put the name of the CS, or waiter on the envelopes that I give, but have never thought to put my name on there. Maybe I should. Just never occurred to me. I will in future.

I put the person's name and my cabin number on the envelope. Sometimes, I just give cash if it is a tip in addition to the auto gratuities paid. In that case, I point out that it is in addition to tips paid.

I put the person's name and my cabin number on the envelope. Sometimes, I just give cash if it is a tip in addition to the auto gratuities paid. In that case, I point out that it is in addition to tips paid.
Yes that's a good point which I mention too.

Generous when it is deserved, but not so insecure I need to receive the recipients thanks.
We give plenty of money to charities anonymously but when we are on a friendly basis with our CS I want him to know how much we appreciate their hard work and if the roles were reversed I would feel the same.

A family member openly bragged about never putting his name or cabin number on his envelopes he handed out in the MDR on the last night.

His thinking was they got that many envelopes and wouldn't know who left a small tip.

Well tell them that I have often noticed that the waiting staff will scribble something onto the envelope before putting it into the drawer at their serving station. Whether it is the table number where it came from or their own initials so it doesn't go astray I couldn't tell you.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Forums mobile app

Well tell them that I have often noticed that the waiting staff will scribble something onto the envelope before putting it into the drawer at their serving station. Whether it is the table number where it came from or their own initials so it doesn't go astray I couldn't tell you.

Think it's Table/Seating Position/first initial of waiter

E.g. 062/2/A = 622A

In my opinion, I would rather have these wonderful Indian and Philliipino staff any day than miserable staff from either the UK or Eastern Europe.

That made me laugh as my Uncle was a steward on the Mary and then Lizzie back in the 50s and early 60s :)

Whenever he came home he would bring me records not available in this country at the time. I considered myself a 'Cunard Yank' for years:cool:

Thanks for telling me that.

It serves him right for being all smile's and friendly to their faces then stiffing them with his tip.

Think it's Table/Seating Position/first initial of waiter

E.g. 062/2/A = 622A

I thought it must be something like that. However, I wonder how they manage to establish seating position? I'm usually at a large table of solo travellers and invariably switch seats every night.

We too had a letter asking why we had removed the auto payment. Have worked out that if the ship was full and everyone paid the full rate then P&O would get £236,880 in tips. Total crew is 760 so, based on tips shared amongst half that number (stewards and waiting staff) then each should get £622. This is based on an 18 night cruise.

We have sent our letter to P&O along with some issues that occurred on the cruise which have not been addressed yet, including a shuttle bus accident in Oporto

I thought it must be something like that. However, I wonder how they manage to establish seating position? I'm usually at a large table of solo travellers and invariably switch seats every night.

When you dine on the last evening, you have a seating position, they discover your name to check for diatory or any dining preferences on the computer.

We too had a letter asking why we had removed the auto payment. Have worked out that if the ship was full and everyone paid the full rate then P&O would get £236,880 in tips. Total crew is 760 so, based on tips shared amongst half that number (stewards and waiting staff) then each should get £622. This is based on an 18 night cruise.

We have sent our letter to P&O along with some issues that occurred on the cruise which have not been addressed yet, including a shuttle bus accident in Oporto

I had to email P&O twice before they rang me.

Graham.