Hotel and transportation suggestions near LAX

Hello! We will be cruising out of Long Beach in June (2019), and I was needing some suggestions on hotels near LAX, that possibly offer shuttle service to/from the port? We are planning on staying at the Queen Mary a couple of days before the cruise, but are needing suggestions of hotels near LAX for our stay after our cruise.

Would prefer something within walking distance of things to do around LAX (if that is even possible)? I know nothing about this area.

Any help/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

LAX hotels don't offer shuttles to/from long Beach. The port is about an hour from the airport.

Depending on your arrival time , I would go straight to Long Beach or San Pedro for the night before the cruise,

Taxi is about $90 with tip to Lon Beach or San Pedro.

Hello! We will be cruising out of Long Beach in June (2019), and I was needing some suggestions on hotels near LAX, that possibly offer shuttle service to/from the port? We are planning on staying at the Queen Mary a couple of days before the cruise, but are needing suggestions of hotels near LAX for our stay after our cruise.

Would prefer something within walking distance of things to do around LAX (if that is even possible)? I know nothing about this area.

Any help/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

As others have noted, there are NO hotels near LAX that offer free shuttles from the port...The Long Beach terminal is approximately 23-24 miles from LAX area hotels. But it is easy to find shuttles from the ship to LAX for a reasonable price...or Uber may be a better choice since you won't have to share or make other stops.

As to things to do around LAX within walking distance, sorry, there really is NOTHING within walking distance of LAX that you'd want to see or do...LAX hotels generally refers to the area along Century Blvd. East of LAX--which is a largely industrial area with only big airport-related hotels, the hotel restaurants and parking lots, rental car lots, industrial warehouse buildings and office buildings.

If you want to go to an area close to LAX but with lots to see and do around the hotel, I'd recommend staying a little north of LAX in the Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach area...There are a few nice hotels there (Marina Del Rey Marriott, Jamaica Bay Inn, Foghorn Harbor Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Inn at Venice Beach, Venice Beach House B&B, Ritz Carlton and a couple of others). You would have lots of restaurant choices nearby (I like C&O Trattoria)...and the stroll along the Venice Beach Boardwalk, around the Marina and over to the Venice Canals...You can rent bicycles and ride up to Santa Monica...or take an Uber or even the public bus...and visit the Santa Monica Pier, the Third Street Promenade and Palisades Park...and you'd be only a few minutes north of LAX...

LAX hotels don't offer shuttles to/from long Beach. The port is about an hour from the airport.

Depending on your arrival time , I would go straight to Long Beach or San Pedro for the night before the cruise,

Taxi is about $90 with tip to Lon Beach or San Pedro.

Thank you for the quick reply!

As others have noted, there are NO hotels near LAX that offer free shuttles from the port...The Long Beach terminal is approximately 23-24 miles from LAX area hotels. But it is easy to find shuttles from the ship to LAX for a reasonable price...or Uber may be a better choice since you won't have to share or make other stops.

As to things to do around LAX within walking distance, sorry, there really is NOTHING within walking distance of LAX that you'd want to see or do...LAX hotels generally refers to the area along Century Blvd. East of LAX--which is a largely industrial area with only big airport-related hotels, the hotel restaurants and parking lots, rental car lots, industrial warehouse buildings and office buildings.

If you want to go to an area close to LAX but with lots to see and do around the hotel, I'd recommend staying a little north of LAX in the Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach area...There are a few nice hotels there (Marina Del Rey Marriott, Jamaica Bay Inn, Foghorn Harbor Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Inn at Venice Beach, Venice Beach House B&B, Ritz Carlton and a couple of others). You would have lots of restaurant choices nearby (I like C&O Trattoria)...and the stroll along the Venice Beach Boardwalk, around the Marina and over to the Venice Canals...You can rent bicycles and ride up to Santa Monica...or take an Uber or even the public bus...and visit the Santa Monica Pier, the Third Street Promenade and Palisades Park...and you'd be only a few minutes north of LAX...

My daughter is dying to go to the Santa Monica Pier, so that definitely might be an option. Do the hotels you listed in that area, offer shuttle service to LAX? Are there any hotels that you would recommend that are within walking distance of the Pier, as that would be the main thing we would want to be close to/around in that area?

Thanks for all the helpful info!!

My daughter is dying to go to the Santa Monica Pier, so that definitely might be an option. Do the hotels you listed in that area, offer shuttle service to LAX? Are there any hotels that you would recommend that are within walking distance of the Pier, as that would be the main thing we would want to be close to/around in that area?

Thanks for all the helpful info!!

Definitely. Santa Monica is actually my number one recommendation on where to stay in the LA area...but some find it a bit pricey.

Look at these hotels: Loews, Marriott LeMerigot, Fairmont Miramar, Shutters at the Beach would be the “A” group. Also the Wyndham, Huntley...and there’s a brand new Courtyard and Hampton near the new Metro Station...all a short walk from the pier...

Oh...and as to free shuttles: The only hotels offering free airport shuttles are those in the immediate LAX area...Don’t let that be a determining factor...shuttles, Uber’s and town cars are reasonably priced and easy to get from anywhere. Just consider it part of the cost. If any hotel were to offer a shuttle, they’d just blend the price into the room rate anyway.

Edited by Bruin Steve

Definitely. Santa Monica is actually my number one recommendation on where to stay in the LA area...but some find it a bit pricey.

Look at these hotels: Loews, Marriott LeMerigot, Fairmont Miramar, Shutters at the Beach would be the “A” group. Also the Wyndham, Huntley...and there’s a brand new Courtyard and Hampton near the new Metro Station...all a short walk from the pier...

Oh...and as to free shuttles: The only hotels offering free airport shuttles are those in the immediate LAX area...Don’t let that be a determining factor...shuttles, Uber’s and town cars are reasonably priced and easy to get from anywhere. Just consider it part of the cost. If any hotel were to offer a shuttle, they’d just blend the price into the room rate anyway.

This is great info! Thanks for all the suggestions/recommendations! Since we are still a year out from our cruise next summer, it gives me plenty of time to look through everything and pick the perfect one!

About how far of a ride from LAX are the hotels you recommended in Santa Monica?

Bruin Steve - how is Redondo Beach area? We have just the one day when we get off our Carnival cruise before we have to leave via LAX. I was just looking for something that's a reasonable distance between the port and LAX so I don't have to spend a lot of time in an Uber. I have tentatively booked Ellison Suites as the hotel looked like it had a historically interesting background, but was debating changing to something a little further south around Redondo Beach as it is less money - and maybe get a hotel with a pool for the kids. Just really plan to take a walk on the beach, grab a bite to eat, and turn in early for our early flight. I was thinking maybe the Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach as I can get it with my airline points.

Bruin Steve - how is Redondo Beach area? We have just the one day when we get off our Carnival cruise before we have to leave via LAX. I was just looking for something that's a reasonable distance between the port and LAX so I don't have to spend a lot of time in an Uber. I have tentatively booked Ellison Suites as the hotel looked like it had a historically interesting background, but was debating changing to something a little further south around Redondo Beach as it is less money - and maybe get a hotel with a pool for the kids. Just really plan to take a walk on the beach, grab a bite to eat, and turn in early for our early flight. I was thinking maybe the Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach as I can get it with my airline points.

Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach is fine...especially if all you want to do is hang out and relax. (I wouldn't stay in a cheap motel up on Pacific Coast Highway though). The Crowne Plaza puts you near King's Harbor/the Redondo Beach Pier--which will give you a nice area to walk around...and some restaurants--like Joe's Crab Shack and the Cheesecake Factory. It doesn't have that cool vibe you'd be getting staying on the Venice Beach Boardwalk...and the walks nearby won't be nearly as interesting...But you will get a more modern, full service hotel with that all important pool for the kids. Extra time in an Uber is really minimal as you've got a lot of surface streets getting to the Crowne Plaza...

But, again, if you're intent is really just to kick back and relax and hang by a hotel pool, this is fine...especially if you can get it for free using hotel points...