Hiroshima and Miyajima

Karen Lynn

Yes we always do both in the one day. We havent been via cruise ship so will depend on how long you are in port. Not enough time to do all of Hiroshima but certainly can do the peace park, museum and miyajima.

I take groups of friends to Japan and always include a trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima. It's one of the not negotiable places to visit on my itinerary. I would suggest 3 hours at Museum/peace park, then train & ferry to Miyajima which is faster than tram. I read somewhere that there is now a ferry to Miyajima from where the ships arrive into Hiroshima, not sure where but Im sure google will help you.

Absolutely both are worth seeing.

I feel quite sad when I hear of people who go to Hiroshima and don't go that little bit further to see Miyajima.

If you are concerned about getting around on your own I suggest you book a goodwill guide to help you get around. The guides are volunteers who speak good to excellent english. They vary from english language students at uni to retired business people to home makers. All give their time to show you the real Japan. The only cost for you is their transport and entry fees and a meal if you are with them at meal time.

Book as far ahead as particularly when ships are in the guides are in high demand.

Edited by Tara Jane

Debating if both can be seen adequately in one day or to comcentrate on just one sight...anyone having done either?

Hi Karen

Both very well worth seeing. I went there from Kyoto, so a fair bullet train ride away. It made for a long day but we still had plenty of time for good look at each location and I assume you'll be starting from much nearer than I did.. All the best, Tony

IpqAIORH88c PN0i9bC7ds8

Hi Karen

Both very well worth seeing. I went there from Kyoto, so a fair bullet train ride away. It made for a long day but we still had plenty of time for good look at each location and I assume you'll be starting from much nearer than I did.. All the best, Tony

IpqAIORH88c PN0i9bC7ds8

MANY thanks! That's most helpful

Thank everyone

• 4 weeks later...

We were staying in Osaka and we took the bullet train (the first train out something like 8 am in the morning). The ride was 96 minutes. Got off at Hiroshima Shin Station and took the local JR train to Miyajima JR station and then walked over to the JR Ferry (10 minute ride across) to the Miyajima Island and the shrine that is there as well as the Torii gate in the water. What a beautiful place. We spent the entire morning there until 2 pm and then took the ferry back to the JR station and took the train back to Hiroshima Grabbed the free bus that is included with the JR Pass and spent a couple of hours visiting Peace Memorial, the Bomb site, even the museum. We were all done by 6 pm and headed back to Osaka via bullet train. What a lovely day. We actually saw high tide and low tide and got pictures of both. Again, you can definitely see the Hiroshima main sites and Miyajima in one day. Planning is the key to all of this and it also helps to have a seven day JR pass.