Need info about Alaskan Land tour

Dana Deem

We’re going into Fairbanks, doing the bus tour of Denali, and of course, the train.

We’re wondering about food. Is a breakfast/coffee place close to hotels? I know we can buy food on train. Does the bus stop where there’s food for purchase in Denali? We’re trying to decide if we’re better off going on our own or using the plan. There are 13 of us traveling with different tastes, of course we don’t plan on eating together, that’s a bit much! Thanks for the feedback! HAPPY CRUISING :D

We’re going into Fairbanks, doing the bus tour of Denali, and of course, the train.

We’re wondering about food. Is a breakfast/coffee place close to hotels? I know we can buy food on train. Does the bus stop where there’s food for purchase in Denali? We’re trying to decide if we’re better off going on our own or using the plan. There are 13 of us traveling with different tastes, of course we don’t plan on eating together, that’s a bit much! Thanks for the feedback! HAPPY CRUISING :D

In the Fairbanks Westmark where we stayed there's a restaurant in the hotel ... but it's not cheap! (Everything in AK seemed to me to be about 50% more than at home.) On the Denali Tundra Wilderness bus tour you get a box lunch, and there are other places where you can buy food in Denali ... like an expensive Subway. Also there is a restaurant in the main building at the McKinley Chalet Resort. We ate one dinner at the Princess lodge, which was open to all.

We decided that the meal plan was not to our liking because about 1/2 the per diem was allocated to dinner, and we never felt like eating much at the end of a day. Also your choice of restaurants is restricted.

Edited by catl331

In the Fairbanks Westmark where we stayed there's a restaurant in the hotel ... but it's not cheap! (Everything in AK seemed to me to be about 50% more than at home.) On the Denali Tundra Wilderness bus tour you get a box lunch, and there are other places where you can buy food in Denali ... like an expensive Subway. Also there is a restaurant in the main building at the McKinley Chalet Resort. We ate one dinner at the Princess lodge, which was open to all.

We decided that the meal plan was not to our liking because about 1/2 the per diem was allocated to dinner, and we never felt like eating much at the end of a day. Also your choice of restaurants is restricted.

I'm not sure what meal plan you were offered but I got an email from HAL today regarding our upcoming land/sea Denali trip. It was for the Great Land Dining Plan. 2 lunches, 2 dinners and 3 breakfasts for $558 for 2. I know AL is expensive, but I'm sure we'll be well under that for the 3 days

There are restaurants and I believe a convenience store across the street from the

McKinley chalet at Denali. It is still more expensive than the continental US but still cheaper than the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Fairbanks you can walk into town for breakfast. We found a crepe place that we liked so much we went both days.

In Denali you’ll get your tour time as you arrive to the hotel. You can preorder a lunch to take. There is a Starbucks like place you can grab something quick for breakfast. It could be very early.....6 am or so departure, or much later in the morning.

The meal plan offered to us came to about $25 per breakfast per person, and $50 per lunch/dinner. If you want coffee and juice and extra sides with breakfast, and appetizers and deserts with every meal, that's the only way I can see it making sense.

We're bringing Oat Meal and Granola bars for breakfast... but not on the heavy shuttle day(s), I have been advised that a hearty breakfast is best because you will have minimal time to stop and eat.