Diminishing Air Credit

jawz33

When I booked our cruise last Feb, I was told by SS, and then by my TA that $2000 of each passenger’s fare paid for the inclusive airfare, pre and post night hotel, transfers and excursions. I opted to take SS air package, with the understanding that I could change my mind before final payment was made. After looking at airfares, hotels costs and not wanting to connect thru Newark in late January, I decided to drop the air portion of our vacation. My TA is on vacation, so one of her coworkers helped me. He contaced SS, and was told the airfare credit is $1500 per person, not $2000. I have gone thru the scant documentation I have, and nothing mentions any amount of credit. Is this normal practice or should I push back? I have not dropped the air portion yet. Thanks for any advice, or humorous anticdotes.

When I booked our cruise last Feb, I was told by SS, and then by my TA that $2000 of each passenger’s fare paid for the inclusive airfare, pre and post night hotel, transfers and excursions. I opted to take SS air package, with the understanding that I could change my mind before final payment was made. After looking at airfares, hotels costs and not wanting to connect thru Newark in late January, I decided to drop the air portion of our vacation. My TA is on vacation, so one of her coworkers helped me. He contaced SS, and was told the airfare credit is $1500 per person, not $2000. I have gone thru the scant documentation I have, and nothing mentions any amount of credit. Is this normal practice or should I push back? I have not dropped the air portion yet. Thanks for any advice, or humorous anticdotes.

Was this for an expedition ship cruise or an ocean cruise?

If the former, I am clueless.

But if the latter, the Silversea invoice would probably have identified the air/hotel option as a separate line with a separate cost.

Has your TA shared the Silversea invoice(s) with you?

I always ask my TA for the client copy of the paperwork they receive from the cruise line. This copy does not identify commission, though on a couple of occasions some years ago my wretched TA sent the agency copy with clear information about the (very generous!) commission.

Thank you for replies and suggestions. This is an ocean voyage departing in 251 days. I will ask my TA if the invoice reflects the actual charge amount. I contacted SS directly, and my concerns have been forwarded to the director of reservations. According to what information I have received, changes made before final payment are not charged. Cancellation of air/hotel from 61-90 days before sailing would incur a fee of $250 per passenger. Again, I appreciate the input.

I will ask my TA if the invoice reflects the actual charge amount. I contacted SS directly, and my concerns have been forwarded to the director of reservations.

I have no experience with SS in this regard. However, I know with mainstream cruise lines (and airlines) if a booking is not made 'directly' with the line i.e. it's made through a TA (or consolidator), the line will not 'communicate' anything to the pax... except to refer the pax to their TA.

I'm betting, if the director of reservations replies to you, the above is what s/he will tell you to do.

Until you speak to your TA, all is speculation. Good luck.

:)