Arizona Memorial access update

kgymn

For those who are going to be in Honolulu please be aware that you can currently not visit the Arizona memorial (in the harbor over the Arizona) due to structural concerns. The exhibits at Pearl harbor are open but if you have or get tickets to take the boat to the memorial you will get a narrated tour of the harbor -still nice, but you won't stop foot on the memorial.

No word on how long this will be in effect.

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsnow/db_352775/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=zrwAaxYR

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

But there is a lot more to see in that area. A very good museum at the Arizona Memorial, plus the Bowfin sub, plus the mighty MO, plus the Air museum on Ford Island. Plenty to make a whole day of visiting there.

I'm glad we got to visit the memorial when we were there. There is plenty to see and do at Pearl Harbor but it was a very special experience to visit the memorial. I hope they can get it fixed soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Their website states the Memorial is still closed for repairs:

Visitor Access to USS Arizona Memorial Temporarily Suspended

Due to a critical structural and safety issue impacting the USS Arizona Memorial dock and loading ramp, the Memorial will remain closed to visitation for an undetermined period of time while repairs are made.

https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

I hope it's fixed soon too. We already bought tickets for the tour in October. There's still a lot of time, I just feel bad for those who don't have that kind of time left.
Hi Chris - I would hope that it will be open in 5 months. The repairs shouldn't take that long.

But there is so much more to see in that area. A great USS Arizona museum, an historical movie they show, and they still take you on a boat ride in the waters around the Memorial. And some very nice grounds with memorial plaques to see.

And then you can always go see the USS Bowfin sub, and the mighty MO and the Flight Museum. Can spend a whole day in that area. Quite frankly I could spend a whole day in that Flight museum, they have many old planes to see. And a great café to eat in..... So please DO go to see all of those historical attractions.

The extended boat trips are very interesting. You may get to see more than you usually do on just the boat ride to the memorial and back. And get narration. Please go see it folks. So much to do in that area. The boat operators are Navy sailors and that is their job. And the Arizona is still an 'active' ship. So only the Navy can take people to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Access was suspended the day that we arrived for our tour. We still took the boat out to within 50 ft. of the Arizona and its Memorial. While we were a bit disappointed at not being able to go on the Memorial, it wasn't a big deal. We still saw the ship, which you can see just below the water line.

The extended boat trips are very interesting. You may get to see more than you usually do on just the boat ride to the memorial and back. And get narration. Please go see it folks. So much to do in that area. The boat operators are Navy sailors and that is their job. And the Arizona is still an 'active' ship. So only the Navy can take people to it.

It is not an active ship. She was decommissioned Dec 29 1941 and struck form the naval register Dec 1 1942. It is under control of the NPS but the navy still has the title. She does have the right to fly the flag as if she was an active naval vessel, but she is not.