Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Hi,

We have toured with Heidi twice and had fantastic experiences each time. Both times it ended up being just the 2 of us with Heidi and her blind dog. Each tour we saw different things. She is very accommodating and willing to customize for you. We really enjoyed the included lunch which we ate along the water at Flatts.

You can reach her at bermudabyways.com

Fantastic, thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Traveling at the end of June - our group of four had booked an excursion through the cruise line earlier, but decided to cancel it tonite in favor of a Blue Flag private tour. I emailed Dennis Hollis, but don’t have high hopes he’s available at this late date. Are there any other guides any of you have used that you could recommend if he’s not available? Would like to use one that comes recommended! Thanks so much in advance.....

Based on CC recommendations DH and I are booked with Duke Soares for a May 31st island excursion. Rate is $40.00 per hour for up to 4 people. It's $55.00 per hour for 5-6 people. Tour is minimum of 3 hours. He suggests to start early and to get a good overview of the island you would need at least 4 or 5 hours.

Is that $40 per hour per person?

:*

Thank you! Do you happen to have contact info on him? Was there anything you specifically liked about him?

Millard Lightbourne of Mills Taxi Service

Millard, known as Mills, has over 50 years of experience in the tourism industry. He worked in the 5-Star Elbow Beach Hotel in Paget for 55 years before retiring as the Assistant Chief Engineer. However he has also been a certified Tourist Guide and a driver since many years. Very well behaved, polite and having awesome knowledge of the island and its flora & fauna, Mills is one of the great drivers in the island for taxi tours. Phone: (441) 238 5690; Email: millarda@northrock.bm

He took us to our honeymoon spot of 60 years previous and any other requests we had. He knew the island very well and was personable.

Millard Lightbourne of Mills Taxi Service

Millard, known as Mills, has over 50 years of experience in the tourism industry. He worked in the 5-Star Elbow Beach Hotel in Paget for 55 years before retiring as the Assistant Chief Engineer. However he has also been a certified Tourist Guide and a driver since many years. Very well behaved, polite and having awesome knowledge of the island and its flora & fauna, Mills is one of the great drivers in the island for taxi tours. Phone: (441) 238 5690; Email: millarda@northrock.bm

He took us to our honeymoon spot of 60 years previous and any other requests we had. He knew the island very well and was personable.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - by the description, it sounds as if he’s 90 years old, lol!! But a good recommendation is always appreciated.

Is that $40 per hour per person?

You quoted a post that was made 8 years ago. The current taxi tour rates, which are (and were) per vehicle, not per person, are $50 per hour for 1 -4 passengers and $70 per hour for 5-7 passengers. Typical minimum tour is 3 hours. The driver mentioned in the post stopped working years ago.

Thank you. I should have read it more carefully.

We wI'll be in Dockyard the first week of June. Do you think I will be able to reach someone before that or should I just wait till we get there and get a taxi at that time?

We wI'll be in Dockyard the first week of June. Do you think I will be able to reach someone before that or should I just wait till we get there and get a taxi at that time?

If it were me I'd try to make an advance reservation with a highly recommended driver, but it's likely you would be able to find someone when you disembark the ship.

I would keep trying to reach someone in advance. We did succesfully book a taxi tour walking off the ship without prearranging. We didn't book in advance because we decided to do a tour on the spur of the moment. There were six of us and people had different interests, sort of an impasse as to where to go together, so I suggested we could accomplish everyones interests by doing a taxi tour. There were three or four Blue Flag taxis available on the spot, and I picked one on instinct. I liked the condition of his taxi and his presentation. We did get a pretty good tour, everyone was satisfied, but I did give him a lot of direction, since I was familiar with Bermuda from previous trips.You should have an idea of what you want to see and don't just leave it to the driver. Our driver did make some suggestions that I declined. We concentrated on the east end for four hours.

Edited by Charles4515

We had a group of 13 and did the Total Island Experience tour which was about 6 hours with Ricky's Mini bus tours last August

There are other options

Check his website for info

He was great! Our whole group enjoyed the day!

http://www.rickysminibus.com/bermuda-island-tours

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We found a tour from the ship that does the caves, Tom Moore’s Jungle, ice cream, and I forgot what else.

It was over $200/person. We’ve reserved a Twizy, and are basically doing our own version of the tour at our own pace, and for much cheaper.

Here’s to us both finding luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked Quinton Bean for a 4 hour tour prior to leaving home. He was very responsive to our e-mails and our suggestions as to what we would like to see. Upon arrival at the port on May23rd, he was awaiting us, holding a sign with our name on it.

You will be very happy you booked him. He is an excellent guide, professional, knowledgeable, and a true gentleman. He is a native Bermudian and is so very proud of the history, and had many stories to tell about Bermuda.

Quinton gave us such a great tour, he even offered to take scenic photos of us at our stops. I would not hesitate to use him again. We asked to stop by Art Mel's so we could order the famous fish sandwich, then Quinton dropped us off at a park downtown Hamilton where we enjoyed our lunch. He can be reached at: quianreu@logic.bm

We booked Quinton Bean for a 4 hour tour prior to leaving home. He was very responsive to our e-mails and our suggestions as to what we would like to see. Upon arrival at the port on May23rd, he was awaiting us, holding a sign with our name on it.

You will be very happy you booked him. He is an excellent guide, professional, knowledgeable, and a true gentleman. He is a native Bermudian and is so very proud of the history, and had many stories to tell about Bermuda.

Quinton gave us such a great tour, he even offered to take scenic photos of us at our stops. I would not hesitate to use him again. We asked to stop by Art Mel's so we could order the famous fish sandwich, then Quinton dropped us off at a park downtown Hamilton where we enjoyed our lunch. He can be reached at: quianreu@logic.bm

Thanks so much - we did find someone and am confident we will have a great tour!

Greetings. I just used a recommended person and was extremely disappointed. I am awaiting an answer from the company representative. I am giving them until Tuesday. After that I will post my review. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you please give us more information and the person you do not recommend? We are planning to do this in November during our stop on the Anthem.

• 2 weeks later...
The taxi tour rate is set by the government at $40.00/hour for 1 to 4 passengers, minimum 3 hours (not sure on that).

SBtS

I understand that the hourly tour is $40.00/hr. Not a problem, but what is the appropriate tip that one would give the driver? I am usually a good tipper, especially if the service is exceptional.

I understand that the hourly tour is $40.00/hr. Not a problem, but what is the appropriate tip that one would give the driver? I am usually a good tipper, especially if the service is exceptional.

I have been told that 10% is the standard tip for taxis in Bermuda. So I begin at that amount and tip more if I feel the service is above average. YMMV.

The taxi tour rate is $50 per hour for 1-4 passengers and $70 per hour for 5 - 7 passengers. The $40 hourly rate was increased four years ago. This thread started many years ago so it's all too easy for someone to quote a post containing information that is no longer correct.

Tipping of 10 - 15 per cent is about right for a taxi.

Just got off the Anthem and were lucky enough to get Mackie. We were directed to him by the taxi and shuttle director right off the pier. He took us for a 4 1/2 hour tour for $50pp. We joined 4 other people in a very clean and comfortable van. We stopped at Somerset, gibbs Lighthouse St George and many other places. Very good tour. We also had a rolling walker and Mackie took very good care of our handicapped person. You can reserve him via email macwilliams12@hotmail.com.

My family of 6 booked a 4 hour tour with Quinton Bean. Everything you said about him is the absolute truth...professional, knowledgeable, and a true gentleman. He gave us great information/history about Bermuda and took some wonderful photos of us. I thank you for the recommendation. We had a fantastic time.