Whisper

Iamsailing

My wife and i will be sailing on the Whisper in September from New York, Calling at Maratha's Vineyard, Sydney Nova Scotia, Halifax Nova Scotia, Bay Harbour, Portland, Boston ,Newport and finishing back in New York Is anybody else on this tour or can anybody give us any information regarding this tour, Also we plan to spend 3 nights in New York pre cruise

any hotel recommendations would be very helpfull

Many thanks

My wife and i will be sailing on the Whisper in September from New York, Calling at Maratha's Vineyard, Sydney Nova Scotia, Halifax Nova Scotia, Bay Harbour, Portland, Boston ,Newport and finishing back in New York Is anybody else on this tour or can anybody give us any information regarding this tour, Also we plan to spend 3 nights in New York pre cruise

any hotel recommendations would be very helpfull

Many thanks

I was on the Whisper from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale in October '04, visiting many of the same ports. In Sydney I took a tour of the Bras d'Or Lakes area, including the living heritage museum and the Alexander Graham Bell museum. It is a beautiful area, and the "museums" were fascinating. I'm not a big fan of seeing churches or museums for their own sake, I like history and understanding of how people live(d) - this tour offered that, along with beautiful scenery. The people who stayed in Sydney were VERY disappointed with the port, as there was nothing much there. In Halifax, I went to Peggy's Cove - absolutely beautiful - one of the most photographed places in Canada. Again, I would highly recommend that tour, though if you had to stay in Halifax at least there would be more to do. It appeared as though there was nice shopping. I was just in Portland for a weekend in September, and would recommend shopping on Front Street (and our best meal was at Front Street Grill.... if I remember correctly.) I've been to Boston many, many times - the best is a tour that includes the monuments of American History. It is the seat of the revolution and evokes the America of the Revolutionary War as much or more than any other city I've visited.

Per timing, my cruise was 10/16-10/30. Fall colors were perfect in some of the areas we visited, a little late in others. Your fall color photo ops will be in Nova Scotia, but only if you take the tours. In town won't be as pretty (though maybe it was Halifax where there was a beautiful public garden??? I don't remember.)

There was a thread discussing New York hotel recommendations earlier last year - I would go back in the archives to find it. In any case, I don't know your mobility, but one of my favorite things to do in NYC is walk. There is so much to see! Don't miss the Lower East Side, Little Italy and China Town. It is so different from the shopping Avenues, and Times Square, and Wall Street, Harlem, and Soho. Try and get a taste of the MANY different faces of Manhattan. It's truly an amazing city (actually... it's a borough, though I always think of it as New York City, it's only one part of it... I've never spent time in Queens, Brooklyn, etc... My apologies to the remainder of the New York City population.)

Archived