Wasting a day in Vancouver?

Bruin Steve

Okay, my turn to ask for help:

In June, we are doing our third Alaska cruise that ends in Vancouver... First time , we tacked on two nights in a hotel in Vancouver. Last time, we had a noon flight home, so we walked straight from the pier to the train and straight to the airport. This time, however, our return flight doesn't leave until 7:45 pm...

Anyone have any ideas on how to waste several hours in Vancouver while dragging around a couple of large suitcases?? Any place to store luggage? Worthwhile tours with airport dropoff? Any place to just hang out that will also hold our luggage?

Thanks...

Perhaps check the following out:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/shop-dine-and-services/276

http://www.portergenie.com/

https://bagbnb.com/luggage-storage/vancouver

There are likely post cruise tour options with airport drop off ... you don't mention what ship or line so best bet is to check out the website of the cruiseline or give them a call.

Good luck!

Tours will still leave you with the problem that you're at the airport with your bags and it's 1-2pm... there really aren't any designed to kill a whole day and drop you at YVR, they're almost all 4hrs or less. You could book a custom private tour of course, via toursbylocals or others, but since you're already somewhat familiar with town I'd suggest using CDS at the pier (linked above) and giving them $40 for their 'ship to airport' service instead of just storing bags.

Your flight is late enough that there's no problem with your bags arriving in time, you can do whatever you didn't get around to on the last trip (or repeat fave experiences) until ~5pm, take SkyTrain to YVR and collect your bags before the whole check-in/security/immigration rigmarole; you should have time for a bite of dinner before your flight with typical queue times, but there's enough padding that if queues are unusually long you'll still make your flight, just have to eat naff airplane food.

Edit - things to do which have the benefit of not needing to go back downtown for bags... as well as VanDusen mentioned already, Queen Elizabeth Park has two very nice quarry gardens (like a mini-Butchart) among the extensive lawns and is the fantabulous price of free. Drop a few bucks to go inside the tropical Bloedel Conservatory on-site - they offer combo tix with VanD if you fancy both, and it's an easy walk between them. The other big upside to QEP is the location - highest point in Vancouver proper so unrivalled views across the city, and you can enjoy those while having lunch at Seasons. I'd recommend a $10 transit Daypass for this, as the hassle of bus tickets which don't transfer to SkyTrain while the latter do transfer to buses makes it footery when you get into combination travel.

Another option might be head straight to YVR with your bags, store them at CDS ($16 instead of $40), then head into Richmond to experience one of the biggest Chinatowns around - lots of busy streets, restos, malls so schlepping bags around would suck, but unencumbered you could while away the hours nibbling. A transit Day Pass would do you, but thanks to the 90min duration of regular transit tickets you could take SkyTrain to airport and then back on to Richmond (should have ~30mins left on your first tickets) then a second one to get back to YVR from wherever in Richmond you finish up. This way no airport AddFare to worry about, so would cost $4.10+$2.85=$6.95pp total vs $10 for Daypass.

Edited by martincath

Just after initially posting this, I stumbled across that Landsea Tours site...their “Sea to Sky” tour picks up at the ship, departs at 10:00 am and lasts 7 hours with drop-off at the airport for $125 CDN (about $100 US) per person. That may fit really well into our timing. Anyone ever done that tour?

BruinSteve, sounds like you have a good option although I have not done this tour.

Another option is storing your luggage right at the pier after disembarking and just enjoying several hours on your own, then getting the luggage and taking the train to the airport.

Keith

Just after initially posting this, I stumbled across that Landsea Tours site...their “Sea to Sky” tour picks up at the ship, departs at 10:00 am and lasts 7 hours with drop-off at the airport for $125 CDN (about $100 US) per person. That may fit really well into our timing. Anyone ever done that tour?

Years ago we did one of these, although I honestly don't remember if it was with LandSea or WestCoast - I didn't mention it before because you spoke about Vancouver and it is basically a really quick visit to Whistler (beautiful scenery on the Sea to Sky Highway, and IIRC stops at Shannon Falls on the way up then Squamish on the way back for a break - we were left at Howe Sound Brewing back in the day and had the best Canadian beers we'd ever tasted at the time; they're still a solid brewery!)

If you're interested in seeing Whistler (briefly) and a beautiful scenic drive it's certainly a very nice route (sit on left side way up, right on way down if you can swing it) but I do find the price heckuva high compared to a day's car rental to do the same...

Here's what I would do....

• debark and drop off luggage at CDS at cruise terminal. That CDS luggage line can be very long as it's a popular service (especially on a 3 ship day)
  • go sightseeing for the next 7 to 8 hours.... Dim Sum? Capilano? Vandusen? Stanley Park?
  • 3pm, make you way back to CDS luggage to grab your stuff before they close at 4pm
  • 4pm catch subway or taxi to airport
  • 4:45pm arrive at airport for your 3 hrs of recommended check-in, customs, and security
  • 7:45pm wheels up with dreams on returning to check out the many other activities you did not have time for.

How much would a one-day car rental cost? Throw the bags in the back, drive up to Squamish via the Sea-to-Sky Hwy (or even all the way to Whistler if you get a really early start.) Or visit various places in Vancouver - Spanish Banks, Lynn Canyon, Steveston, have dim sum in Richmond, hit the Punjabi market... then end up at the airport when you choose.

How much would a one-day car rental cost? Throw the bags in the back, drive up to Squamish via the Sea-to-Sky Hwy (or even all the way to Whistler if you get a really early start.) Or visit various places in Vancouver - Spanish Banks, Lynn Canyon, Steveston, have dim sum in Richmond, hit the Punjabi market... then end up at the airport when you choose.

A subcompact, one-way pier to airport, including taxes, fees and insurance, would start at about $80 US and go up from there, depending on rental company. Figure in that the current price of gas in Vancouver is about $1.40 CDN...of course it could go up by July...but figure that's about $4.50+ US per gallon...So, figure with any reasonable amount of sightseeing in that several hour day, budget about $30 for gas...So, we're up to about $110 budget for the day. After that, there would be admission charges or at least parking fees to some attractions (a Google search shows admission to Capilano Bridge Park at $43 CDN for an adult...)

So, easily conceivable that renting a car and doing our own thing would run us around $200 US anyway...or at least close to it...Yes, we would control our own time and do things at our own pace...but we would also add in the hassle of picking up the rental car, filling it with gas and checking it back in as well as dealing with shuttles to the rental facility...So, measuring that up against a relatively hassle-free guided tour where they pick us up at the pier and drop us off at the airport?

A subcompact, one-way pier to airport, including taxes, fees and insurance, would start at about $80 US and go up from there, depending on rental company. Figure in that the current price of gas in Vancouver is about $1.40 CDN...of course it could go up by July...but figure that's about $4.50+ US per gallon...So, figure with any reasonable amount of sightseeing in that several hour day, budget about $30 for gas...So, we're up to about $110 budget for the day. After that, there would be admission charges or at least parking fees to some attractions (a Google search shows admission to Capilano Bridge Park at $43 CDN for an adult...)

So, easily conceivable that renting a car and doing our own thing would run us around $200 US anyway...or at least close to it...Yes, we would control our own time and do things at our own pace...but we would also add in the hassle of picking up the rental car, filling it with gas and checking it back in as well as dealing with shuttles to the rental facility...So, measuring that up against a relatively hassle-free guided tour where they pick us up at the pier and drop us off at the airport?

That's why I suggested Lynn Canyon instead of Capilano - the suspension bridge there is free (and IMO just as fun) and there are lots of free or cheap activities around town - like I mentioned - Spanish Banks beach, Granville Island or the Punjabi market, Queen Elizabeth Park gardens (not Butchart, but close to it, and free) - fish and chips in Steveston or dim sum in Richmond...

Sure, it might be a bit more hassle than the tour. Up to you.

So, easily conceivable that renting a car and doing our own thing would run us around $200 US anyway...or at least close to it...

NB: that the tour is NOT the same as the one I took; reading what's included now you do actually have two entry-fee locations, Sea to Sky Gondola and Britannia Mining Museum (total $72pp+5% tax, so not bad value on a $125 tour). I've never used the former, but the latter is an excellent site. Doesn't go quite as far as Squamish based on the detailed itinerary - you're looking at ~120km total driving, so gas cost will be more like CAD$15 than US$30 unless you rent a gas-guzzler. Also, compare rental rates returning to downtown as it might be enough cheaper to pay for a cab, let alone SkyTrain, to YVR after. Not sure if you're a Costco member, but if so definitely check their car rental rates for your date.

Personally I'd look on a car rental going to the same places as significantly better than the tour for two reasons - earlier start (you could be in the car and rolling by 8am if you're first off the ship, up to two hours extra touring time) and more flexibility of timing. Add in that you can also do different and/or extra stuff, and not be forced to eat lunch at the top of a mountain (kaching!) and even if it works out to the same price, the car rental option looks good to me...

• 1 month later...

We did the land and sea tour called city highlights in Vancouver. They picked us up from the terminal and loaded our luggage before we left on the tour at 10:00 am. We were staying the night so they took us to our hotel when finished. Loved the tour and the day.

We left on the amtrack the next morning to Seattle. Our flight was on southwest both ways. Our embark was in Seattle. Debark was in Vancouver. Really liked this as we were able to see two new cities. The tour was $150 for both of us.

Circling back here...

I started communicating with Landsea Tours and they thought my 7:45 flight would be cutting it close with the 7 hour Sea to Sky tour.

Then, WestJet changed our flight time to 8:05 pm...so we booked the tour...

Oh...and, Karen, I didn’t intend to slight Vancouver. I love Vancouver...but love it more when I have some sort of appreciable time there. Having to fly out same day and dealing more with logistics than with enjoyment is the “waste” part—in that I’m just playing with time until getting to the airport...

• 2 months later...

I did the LandSea tour that included Grouse Mtn and Capilano several years ago. Great tour. We were at the airport around 6pm.

I’m doing the Sea to Sky tour in two weeks, and we have to be at the meeting point at 9:30. Should I plan to be one of the first off the ship (Coral Princess) docking at 7:30?

Thx.

We had the same meeting time and did self assist. Got there in plenty of time. Had to wait quite some time. They were a little late getting there.

[2quote=Suzanne123;56150719]I did the LandSea tour that included Grouse Mtn and Capilano several years ago. Great tour. We were at the airport around 6pm.

I’m doing the Sea to Sky tour in two weeks, and we have to be at the meeting point at 9:30. Should I plan to be one of the first off the ship (Coral Princess) docking at 7:30?

Thx.

Number of car rental counters in the downtown core within one block of the cruise ship terminal.

Vancouver airport has a PetroCanada station on the left just as you arrive at the terminal. Care drop off is the parkade just across the driveway from the terminal.

Isn’t is just 10 miles from the port to the airport? I understand your gonna take the scenic route, but presumably you actual gonna stop and see sights when you sight see. So maybe you’ll drive 40 miles and consume 2 to 3 gallons. So 12 bucks on gas, but since we don’t want the hassle of refilling we.ll pay the 30% markup to the rental company and call it $20.

It certainly is possible that the tour operator will get a better admission price to sites then you will, but the cost of gas and the hassle of refill should not be a consideration in this equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 litre of gas now is $1.61.9 Highest in N. America we are told!!!

Our traffic is a mess! So, give time for construction Everywhere!! If travelling to the US you clear Customs/Immigration here and need time for that and security clearance. 2 hr I would say is wise to arrive before flight.

Otherwise if Domestic 1 hr for sure, security can get backed up.

Take cab from YVR on a nice day to Steveston, Richmond, is a fun thing to do. Close by the airport too, so no traffic worries of missing your flight. Very quaint area with a dyke walk. Fish and Chips on the wharf etc.