Tipping Question/Advice?

We are cruising Royal Caribbean in Aug. we are taking our 2 kids for their 1st cruise. 11 year old DS and 22 month old DD. My tipping question is should I give the full recommended $101.50 for the week in tips for my 22 month old DD. Seems like she will not really benefit from most of the people that you tip for your cruise. I plan to tip the room steward for her because he/she will be making her bed entertaining her with folded towels. I just can't see the other people that you normally tip providing a service to her. Thoughts or experiences appreciated. Thanks.

I would still pay the full amount. I'm not sure why you feel she won't benefit from staff services as much as you will. She will still eat the provided food - although she likely won't place the order herself ;) - and will possibly leave a bigger mess to clean up than your son (my kids dropped more on the floor at 2 than at 11).

Maybe I'm missing something. Can you explain which services she won't receive?

Thanks for the info/tips. This will be our 1st time cruising with one so young. Last cruise we were on our DS was already 7 so it was a different story. I guess I was just thinking that the 22 month old would not really be that much work seeing as how my wife and I will be taking care of her and for the most part picking up after her. This is just a first for us and I was looking for advice on what to expect. We had to save to go on the cruise so I am looking to save money anywhere I can. Looks like I will tip for her as well. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the info/tips. This will be our 1st time cruising with one so young. Last cruise we were on our DS was already 7 so it was a different story. I guess I was just thinking that the 22 month old would not really be that much work seeing as how my wife and I will be taking care of her and for the most part picking up after her. This is just a first for us and I was looking for advice on what to expect. We had to save to go on the cruise so I am looking to save money anywhere I can. Looks like I will tip for her as well. Thanks for the help.

I'm glad we were able to help. Here are a few saving tips I have seen:

• pack your own medicines - especially children's - to avoid the inflated cost on board (if they even have what you need)
  • skip the specialty restaurants, spa, and other up-charge venues (unless gifted) or any other a la carte items; there is plenty to eat/drink/do that is included in your fare
  • if you do opt to splurge, watch for drink specials or arcade 'power hours' for reduced rates
  • if a drinks package isn't included in your fare, just pay as you go - with two young children you probably won't be drinking a ton and a package likely won't save you any money
  • beware that drinks will likely have a gratuity added before you get the slip to sign, you do not need to add an additional tip if that is the case
  • take your own pictures, or have a pre-set limit and only get them if you really like it (ship pictures are often $20 or more per picture)
  • if you have any on board credit that can be used towards gratuities as well (if you didn't pre-pay)

I think there is a family board as well, that can probably give you good advice too. Enjoy your cruise!

You will be surprised at how much they do for a family with a small child. Each "soul" aboard should extend a tip....as everyone, even babies, (some say ESPECIALLY babies!) created lots of extra work for your cabin attendant!

some cruise lines have different gratuity rate for children, but for RCL The automatic gratuity is $14.50 USD, or $17.50 USD for suite guests of all ages. so, take advantage of services offer, kids club and baby sitting services. If you don't think they did enough to satisfy you, you can always contest at the Service Desk before settling your bill.