Examples of Culinary and Beverage Events on a VO Cruise

dln929

I thought this might be of interest so I'll share. I saved all the Viking Dailies from our recent Trade Routes of the Middle Ages cruise. On the first day's Daily there was an insert that I never bothered looking at until today. My bad! It was tucked inside the shore excursion price list and it was a single sheet listing all the culinary and beverage events happening on our cruise. Here are some of the offerings:

--cooking classes featuring Greek, Italian, Californian, French, and Norwegian cuisines. All classes were held at either 9 or 10 am, running around 3 hours and costing $59.

--The Kitchen Table at 8:30 am, 5 hours long and including dinner at The Kitchen Table. $249.

-Wine tasting, 2 pm, 1 hour $25

-Armagnac tasting, 8 pm, 1 hour $35

-World wine tour, 2 pm, 1 hour $25

-Sparkling and Champagne tasting, 2 pm, 1 hour $35

-Martini tasting, 6 pm, 1 hour, $25

-Premium wine tasting, 2 pm, 1 hour, $59

-Whiskey tasting, 8 pm, 1 hour, $20

-Hands on mixology, 2 pm, 1 hour, $20

-Taste of Italy wine tasting, 2 pm, 1 hour, $25

I have no idea if these events are bookable before boarding, or whether they're offered on every cruise. I just know that from now on I'll check the Dailies a little more carefully!!! ;p

I should add that one event--a freebie--that we did attend was the cooking demonstration. Actually there were two of them on our 14 night cruise and they were both held in the theatre and were very entertaining! Plus there were samples at the end for all to try. Always a good thing.

Edited by dln929
spelling

Hmmmmm. Thought there were no added extras to pay on board. That was one of the things that attracted us to VO

Viking has always charged for drinks. Even if you have the Silver Spirits package it only covers drinks up to a certain price. after that you are charged. You can upgrade wine package in Chef's Table but it is an up sale, not gratis. The Kitchen Table experience has been available and it has always been like a fee excursion. I imagine the cooking classes fall in the same category. Excursions are included but not every excursion. Beer and wine are include but only during meal times. If you choose to do these other options then they are on your tab as they are not part of the included package. Much like services in the spa. Nothing is new here.

We have the silver spirits package. No problem paying for drinks. It's clear that there are excursions which can be paid for but not that there are activities on board with extra charges. Why not just mention them along with the excursions?

We have the silver spirits package. No problem paying for drinks. It's clear that there are excursions which can be paid for but not that there are activities on board with extra charges. Why not just mention them along with the excursions?
What's the problem with offering events that come with a fee? You're under no obligation to partake if it doesn't interest you. Lots of people have OBC and this could be a good way to use it up.

As to not mentioning it, there could be any number of reasons not to put it on the website. It's not like every single event that goes on onboard can be found online in advance of the cruise. That's what the Viking Daily is for. [emoji37]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

I saw that flyer when we were on the Trade Routes within April and signed up for a couple extras.

We participated in one of the wines tastings $25/person on a sea day.

I also did the Norwegian cooking class on our final sea day for $59. Recipes and an apron were ours to keep.

Other activities that were only offered on board were tours of the galley and tours of the bridge. We asked about these at guest services. No fee.

--The Kitchen Table at 8:30 am, 5 hours long and including dinner at The Kitchen Table. $249.

[snip]

I have no idea if these events are bookable before boarding, or whether they're offered on every cruise.

The Kitchen Table is considered a shore excursion and if it is offered on your particular cruise, it will be available for advanced booking on MVJ with the rest of the shorex. It is not available on all itineraries or on all sailings of a particular itinerary or even each time Viking calls in a particular port.

What's the problem with offering events that come with a fee? You're under no obligation to partake if it doesn't interest you. Lots of people have OBC and this could be a good way to use it up.

All the extra fees are are what drove us away from Celebrity, Royal, Princess, HAL, NCL. They went from pretty much all included to everything was extra. People call it choices I find it extremely annoying. Hopefully Viking does not follow otherwise we will be gone.

All the extra fees are are what drove us away from Celebrity, Royal, Princess, HAL, NCL. They went from pretty much all included to everything was extra. People call it choices I find it extremely annoying. Hopefully Viking does not follow otherwise we will be gone.

Agreed. Viking should also add the tips into the fare to eliminate one more end of cruise charge. Since tips are optional and guests may decline, the crew's income is at the whim of those who oppose tipping for whatever reason.

Counter argument is that this could lead to bad service, but excellent cruise lines like Uniworld, Silversea include tips in the fare price and do not suffer from poor guest service.

We very much enjoy wine tastings, etc as a good way to pass the time on sea days and we don’t mind at all paying for them. If they were “free” (everything has a cost), then they’d be massive Happy Hours and Viking would become another Carnival.

There is no right answer here. If you don’t want to participate, just say no.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We very much enjoy wine tastings, etc as a good way to pass the time on sea days and we don’t mind at all paying for them. If they were “free” (everything has a cost), then they’d be massive Happy Hours and Viking would become another Carnival.

Not to mention all the people who complain that since they don't drink, they are subsidizing the fares of those who do – imagine how much more they would howl if they also had to 'subsidize' wine tastings and cooking classes. IMHO Viking has set the right balance [although since on our upcoming British Isles Explorer cruises we are taking zero 'included' excursions, I could argue for dropping that 'feature' ;)]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is one way of adding revenue, placating those who don't wish to subsidize others, keeping the numbers low enough to eliminate those "Happy Hours". If these were free there would probably be a pecking order (based on cruise fare) for signing up. That in itself is a significant charge when you consider the rooms are alike within categories.

One question to those who have tried these extras. Are they worth the extra cost? If they are great, if not, participation will fall off. I don't think $25 for wine tasting is bad IF they are offering information about, and tastes of really good wine. If they are offering a couple pours of Red, White or Pink then .......you get my drift.

I find the included tours on Viking Ocean not that compelling. River included tours because of easier access tend to be better. We take lots of Optional tours which on Ocean and to be pricier.

Included tours where you can take the shuttle back to the ship on your own timeframe work best.

It is one way of adding revenue, placating those who don't wish to subsidize others, keeping the numbers low enough to eliminate those "Happy Hours". If these were free there would probably be a pecking order (based on cruise fare) for signing up. That in itself is a significant charge when you consider the rooms are alike within categories.

One question to those who have tried these extras. Are they worth the extra cost? If they are great, if not, participation will fall off. I don't think $25 for wine tasting is bad IF they are offering information about, and tastes of really good wine. If they are offering a couple pours of Red, White or Pink then .......you get my drift.

The wine tasting we took part in last January on the Sky was educational (we had sheets to complete for each wine too!) and covered all the types of wine one might care about from the light to the full bodied. It wasn't just wine either - the wine was paired with various cheeses, breads, and fruit. My husband and I thought it was money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wine tastings and cooking classes sound like fun to me! I think the prices are reasonable. I am willing to give them a try. If they turn out to be something we enjoy, we may participate in more. If not, the pricing is not out of line IMHO and we will be fine - either way.

All the ‘included’ offerings do come with a price for all. For some the wine/beer included feels wrong because they do not drink. For some of us the included excursions feel wrong because we/they do not take them. Free laundry works for those who use it, and not for those who prefer to have theirs sent out....etc. If Viking reduces the pricing by eliminating these, then we are all back to the nickel and diming of most others.

wine tastings and cooking classes sound like fun to me! I think the prices are reasonable. I am willing to give them a try. If they turn out to be something we enjoy, we may participate in more. If not, the pricing is not out of line imho and we will be fine - either way.

All the ‘included’ offerings do come with a price for all. For some the wine/beer included feels wrong because they do not drink. For some of us the included excursions feel wrong because we/they do not take them. Free laundry works for those who use it, and not for those who prefer to have theirs sent out....etc. If viking reduces the pricing by eliminating these, then we are all back to the nickel and diming of most others.

(y)