Dear Ancient Mariners: Our Statendam Has A New Name

Our beloved Statendam, the first of the "S" class HAL ships, has been sold out of the P&O Australia fleet already and is now the Vasco De Gama. Cruise and Maritime Voyages appears to be the new owner, who proudly state she is in excellent condition after a multi-million dollar/pound renovation was completed in 2016. They are advertising her first "Grand" cruise from Singapore to London (Southampton?), a 44 day for $3999 inside April 2019. I believe Statendam did a world cruise for HAL not long after she was built, or was that the previous Statendam??? Calling all ancient Mariners: Please check this out.

We were in port with the former Noordam III in Malaga just last month. She was built in 1984, ten years older than Statendam, and at least from the outside, looked very good.

An Australian friend sent me a forwarded e-mail from C & MV Australia about this news. (His wife and he sailed with me and others on Statendam's delivery voyage to P & O Australia in Singapore.)

Investigating booking a cruise on cruise lines like P&O Australia and C&MV, I have found it impossible to book through a North American travel agent. Such a booking has to be done either directly through the cruise line or through an Australian travel agent.

Vasco da Gama's journey is attractive and one that I will have to consider since I have no 2019 plans so far.

Thank you. I wonder if it was well received back then.

The world cruise regulars were up in arms. How dare they use that new class ship. What happened to tradition, the old Rotterdam was what world cruise should be. I did a segment of the 94 and every even as far into the cruise as Singapore some of the ancient mariners were still complaining.

The world cruise regulars were up in arms. How dare they use that new class ship. What happened to tradition, the old Rotterdam was what world cruise should be. I did a segment of the 94 and every even as far into the cruise as Singapore some of the ancient mariners were still complaining.

Interesting. The Rotterdam V (1959) certainly had a loyal following. The Statendam (1983) as well as the other 3 "S" class ships developed their own loyal cruisers.

Do you remember your personal feelings sailing aboard her back in 94?

I was impressed with the wrap around Crow's Nest, the mid ship pool with retractable cover, the two story dining room with ocean views.

Pacific Eden ex Statendam is still being operated by P&O Aust. until she arrives in Singapore in April 2019.

Final voyage from Adelaide on 16th March via Fremantle WA.

The maiden voyage of Vasco da Gama for CMV departs Singapore on 23rd April - 44 days to London Tilbury & 46 days to Amsterdam. There are only a small amount of cabins still available. Being sold direct by CMV as a single price with 2nd passenger free.

She will operate out of Germany over the northern summer & start her inaugural southbound cruise - 53 days to Sydney on 9th Oct. 2019 via Panama.

Previously CMV bought the Pacific Pearl from P&O Aust. - it was another ex Carnival Corp. ship.

Maybe other HAL vessels will go the same way as Statendam.

Interesting. The Rotterdam V (1959) certainly had a loyal following. The Statendam (1983) as well as the other 3 "S" class ships developed their own loyal cruisers.

Do you remember your personal feelings sailing aboard her back in 94?

I was impressed with the wrap around Crow's Nest, the mid ship pool with retractable cover, the two story dining room with ocean views.

This was my 2 nd trip. I did the 1st cruise. A 35days E u European capitals trip. I was excited to do my. 1st world cruise even though it was just a segment. I thought the ship as beautiful . I loved the cabins they were spacious. The crows nest views and the , surprise w was the escalator from in front. Of the front desk down one deck.

Pacific Eden ex Statendam is still being operated by P&O Aust. until she arrives in Singapore in April 2019.

Final voyage from Adelaide on 16th March via Fremantle WA.

The maiden voyage of Vasco da Gama for CMV departs Singapore on 23rd April - 44 days to London Tilbury & 46 days to Amsterdam. There are only a small amount of cabins still available. Being sold direct by CMV as a single price with 2nd passenger free.

She will operate out of Germany over the northern summer & start her inaugural southbound cruise - 53 days to Sydney on 9th Oct. 2019 via Panama.

Previously CMV bought the Pacific Pearl from P&O Aust. - it was another ex Carnival Corp. ship.

Maybe other HAL vessels will go the same way as Statendam.

With the 'new' (not so great ) Hal direction , she would be an attractive alternative, always a great ship...

This was my 2 nd trip. I did the 1st cruise. A 35days E u European capitals trip. I was excited to do my. 1st world cruise even though it was just a segment. I thought the ship as beautiful . I loved the cabins they were spacious. The crows nest views and the , surprise w was the escalator from in front. Of the front desk down one deck.

Interesting.

Wondering what CMV paid for her, and for that matter, whom did they actually buy her from. I remember when Statendam and Ryndam left the HAL fleet, it was worded that they were "transferred" to P&O Australia. Carnival (The umbrella company that owns so many of the cruise lines) may actually have the final say in where the ships go.

CMV would have purchased Pacific Eden from the current owners Carnival Corp.

I think P&O were happy with her & she has operated well once the new crew settled in.

Sailed on her nearly a year after bringing her across from Seattle on the final voyage.

The modernisation of most of the public area & buffet were well done.

Not so good the dining room that is only on a single deck & the two smaller ones that were made on the other deck.

CMV plan to operate Vasco da Gama in the Australia summer with two repositioning voyages each year.

They have several ships on charter that they may not continue with - so ex Carnival ships may be a good replacement.

They now have one old Carnival, Princess & now a HAL vessel in there fleet.

There is a CMV booking site in USA.

Anyone that sailed in Rotterdam v especially pre Carnival days knows the difference between an OceanLiner and a cruise ship. As far as sailing the oceans Rotterdam V was built to transverse the Atlantic Ocean. Hitting rough seas in a S Class ship was entirely a different experience. As far as the product itself HAL WAS wonderful..

1st class. Unfortunately it didny have the following necessary to keep it afloat so to speak. After Carnival Corp took over quality was reduced in every area. My first cruise was back in 1975...I love the ocean & oceanliners. I miss the old HAL, CUNARD, ITALIAN LINE, COSTA, SITMAR. The quality of the oceanliner has been replaced by these floating malls.

CMV would have purchased Pacific Eden from the current owners Carnival Corp.

I think P&O were happy with her & she has operated well once the new crew settled in.

Sailed on her nearly a year after bringing her across from Seattle on the final voyage.

The modernisation of most of the public area & buffet were well done.

Not so good the dining room that is only on a single deck & the two smaller ones that were made on the other deck.

CMV plan to operate Vasco da Gama in the Australia summer with two repositioning voyages each year.

They have several ships on charter that they may not continue with - so ex Carnival ships may be a good replacement.

They now have one old Carnival, Princess & now a HAL vessel in there fleet.

There is a CMV booking site in USA.

Thanks for this info.

CMV does have some interesting itineraries. I was surprised they are still running the Marco Polo.

One of our favorite ships was one that we sailed on several times called the SS Seawind Crown. She sailed out of Aruba and a high percentage of the passengers were Spanish. It was an older ship and carried around 600 people. The reason that I mention it here is because the original name of that ship was the Vasco Da Gama. I have a tea pot that I was able to purchase that was part of the ships original china and has the name on it.

One of our favorite ships was one that we sailed on several times called the SS Seawind Crown. She sailed out of Aruba and a high percentage of the passengers were Spanish. It was an older ship and carried around 600 people. The reason that I mention it here is because the original name of that ship was the Vasco Da Gama. I have a tea pot that I was able to purchase that was part of the ships original china and has the name on it.

Your tea pot may have some value to those who collect oceanliner memorabilia.

We sailed on the last voyage of the Statendam from Seattle Singapore where it was renovated into the Pacific Eden. It was a terrific cruise and to honor it, we're booked on the first voyage of the Nieuw Statendam.

We sailed on the last voyage of the Statendam from Seattle Singapore where it was renovated into the Pacific Eden. It was a terrific cruise and to honor it, we're booked on the first voyage of the Nieuw Statendam.

I sailed with you on Statendam and have booked the first two 7 day cruises after her New Year's Cruise on the Nieuw Statendam much for the same reason.