Cruising with Parkinson's on Britannia

SquishTheWhale

I've just booked a Fjords family cruise on Britannia for next year, to celebrate my mum's 60th. Last year she was diagnosed with Parkinson's, which is affecting her mobility in one of her legs. She manages OK but is slower than she used to be and tires standing up easily. She also struggles sitting in one position for too long unless she can elevate her leg.

I was wondering if theres anyone out there with experience of cruising with Parkinsons, maybe specific to P&O or the Fjords? Is there anything I should be doing in advance or while on board to make her life easier? She'd never cruised before so she doesn't really know if there's anything she'll struggle with. For instance I'm concerned that one port is a possible tender- I'm not sure how she'd cope standing in long lines. Will P&O allow her priority tendering if I notify them of her disability or is that not done?

Any experience would be gratefully recieved. I desperately want this cruise to be a positive experience for her!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Be sure to tell P&O that your mum has some mobility problems so if there is an emergency they will know she may need help. Also they can assist with embarking and disembarking. When you get to the terminal you will see people waiting to help you all board. They have wheelchairs and will assist with checking in and boarding.

Once on board I would be thinking about minimizing the time she has to spend walking or standing around unnecessarily. That way she can save her energy for all the good stuff!

Britannia is a big ship so you can spend a lot of energy just walking from on venue to another. Therefore I would take a folding manual wheelchair to whizz your mum from place to place then park up outside and she can run in without a care in the world. It is also really useful on excursions and going ashore. If you do not want to take your own you can hire one from mobility at sea and it will be waiting in your cabin.

Although I do not have Parkinson’s I have had recent health problems and this has worked very well for me. I have found that cruising is simply the best way to holiday with a disability and I always feel so well when I am on board. I am sure your mum will have a fantastic time.

Be sure to tell P&O that your mum has some mobility problems so if there is an emergency they will know she may need help. Also they can assist with embarking and disembarking. When you get to the terminal you will see people waiting to help you all board. They have wheelchairs and will assist with checking in and boarding.

Once on board I would be thinking about minimizing the time she has to spend walking or standing around unnecessarily. That way she can save her energy for all the good stuff!

Britannia is a big ship so you can spend a lot of energy just walking from on venue to another. Therefore I would take a folding manual wheelchair to whizz your mum from place to place then park up outside and she can run in without a care in the world. It is also really useful on excursions and going ashore. If you do not want to take your own you can hire one from mobility at sea and it will be waiting in your cabin.

Although I do not have Parkinson’s I have had recent health problems and this has worked very well for me. I have found that cruising is simply the best way to holiday with a disability and I always feel so well when I am on board. I am sure your mum will have a fantastic time.

Thank you for all the tips! Luckily she is not at the stage yet where she needs a wheelchair- I see why you're suggesting it to preserve her energy, but I think she'd be horrified! She always enjoyed walking for hours on end and she can still do an hour or two but is much slower and needs to rest more than she did.

Good point about assistance being on hand in case of an emergency, I didnt even think about that. She will have family to assist her but I'd want to make sure she was OK if we weren't at hand. Think I'll give P&O a ring.

It will also be worth asking about the tendering situation as well. On our last 2 cruises with P&O passengers had to show that they could stride a certain length before being allowed to tender.

It will also be worth asking about the tendering situation as well. On our last 2 cruises with P&O passengers had to show that they could stride a certain length before being allowed to tender.
I just read about that on the disability section on the website. I will get her to try it out, but think she will be OK if she leads with her good leg.