Boston help, please.

nanners

My husband and I will be sailing out of Boston for the first time next May. We will be flying.

The hotel prices are outrageous! What area do I need to look at when looking for a hotel? Do I look in the airport area or the cruise port area? The cheaper the better!!! (I do want clean, though.)

Are taxi prices more expensive, too? I assume they have Uber? Do any of the hotels have shuttles to/from airport/cruise port?

My husband and I will be sailing out of Boston for the first time next May. We will be flying.

The hotel prices are outrageous! What area do I need to look at when looking for a hotel? Do I look in the airport area or the cruise port area? The cheaper the better!!! (I do want clean, though.)

Are taxi prices more expensive, too? I assume they have Uber? Do any of the hotels have shuttles to/from airport/cruise port?

What is the exact date you need a hotel? Two people. Bed configuration? Sightseeing plans, if any? What is your realistic hotel budget?

Boston hotels are very expensive - no really cheap hotels. It can be less expensive NE of the airport or in Dorchester or Quincy, but these are basically 2.5* hotels. Some of these hotels do offer both airport and Cruiseport shuttles, but they are what they are - lower end hotels like Best Western, Ramada, and Comfort Inn located in an urban area further from central Boston. In the right area Hotwire can offer some good deals as you get closer to your date.

May is graduation month for most of the Boston area colleges,

Let's start with the date you need a hotel. My recommendation is to book a cancellable placeholder hotel now and watch Hotwire for the Seaport District.

Uber and Lyft are available and are good in Boston. If you can manage your luggage, you can actually get to the Seaport District, Cruiseport, and other areas for free on public transit from Logan Airport.

Thanks for your response. I didn't even think of the colleges, I guess that is why the prices are so high. We would be flying in on May 2, Thursday, cruise out on May 3, Friday.

I looked at the La Quinta in Somerville, $188, shuttle to/from the airport, not to cruise port. I called the hotel and was told they are about 25 minutes from the cruise port.

Do you know anything about this hotel? Or can I do better?

We don't really have plans for sight seeing. It would be myself and husband.

Edited by nanners
Add information.

Thanks for your response. I didn't even think of the colleges, I guess that is why the prices are so high. We would be flying in on May 2, Thursday, cruise out on May 3, Friday.

I looked at the La Quinta in Somerville, $188, shuttle to/from the airport, not to cruise port. I called the hotel and was told they are about 25 minutes from the cruise port.

Do you know anything about this hotel? Or can I do better?

We don't really have plans for sight seeing. It would be myself and husband.

I think the LaQuinta would be fine. Reasonable reviews. Good price.

I would book a cancellable room. I would monitor Hotwire for the Seaport District only over the next months and grab any room that fits your budget. The hotels in the Seaport District are all 3* and up and are all acceptable to book without knowing the name. This will be a much nicer area to stay in precruise and worth paying a bit more money to do so. What I've seen happening on Hotwire is that the hotels in this area hold out for a while and then job their unsold rooms out to discounters. For May graduations the Seaport would not be a preferred destination for parents.

You will pay at least $25-35 for a taxi from the La Quinta to the port. If you stay in the Seaport area, the fare should be about $10. Free public transit on the Silverline from Logan Airport to the Seaport area is an option if you can manage your luggage and lift it up one step. Details can be provided.