Walking from Comfort Inn- Midtown West to pier 88?

TravelDiva88

We are staying at the comfort inn Midtown West (548 West 48th Street, New York, NY, US, 10036) and cruising on the Breakaway which sails from pier 88.

As I look at the map, it appears that pier 88 is a straight shot on 48th from our hotel, but is this walkable/safe?

Is there an entrance to pier 88 near the intersection of 48th and 12th?

We are staying at the comfort inn Midtown West (548 West 48th Street, New York, NY, US, 10036) and cruising on the Breakaway which sails from pier 88.

As I look at the map, it appears that pier 88 is a straight shot on 48th from our hotel, but is this walkable/safe?

Is there an entrance to pier 88 near the intersection of 48th and 12th?

There is no point in walking. The blocks are quite long going west and you'll have to haul your luggage across town and then across the west side highway. At the cruise pier there are large security gates and you might have to walk up to 50th or 55th to find one that is open.

You'll then have to take one of the big elevators at street level to get to the upper level where the luggage porters will check your big cases and then proceed to check-in in the cruise terminal.

A cab ride will take you three minutes and cost around five dollars maybe six with a tip. Sure you could save five or six bucks but, what's the point you're on vacation enjoy yourselves. The cab will take you right up the ramp to port side check-in then you'll proceed inside with your documents for boarding.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking
  • Like 1

I completely disagree with the previous poster. I'll be staying at the same hotel for one night between two separate NCL cruises I'll be taking in consecutive weeks. The distance is quite short...under 1/4 of a mile, there is a traffic light and crosswalk at 48th St. and 12th Ave., and if your cruise is leaving from Pier 88 (as 99.99% of NCL cruises do), the gate at 48th St. will be open .

It's an easy walk for anyone without serious mobility issues.

I live only about an hour from the cruise terminal, but we decided to stay overnight in Manhattan between cruises rather than driving home and back again the next morning and specifically chose this hotel because it was so convenient to the pier.

Edited by njhorseman

I completely disagree with the previous poster. I'll be staying at the same hotel for one night between two separate NCL cruises I'll be taking in consecutive weeks. The distance is quite short...under 1/4 of a mile, there is a traffic light and crosswalk at 48th St. and 12th Ave., and if your cruise is leaving from Pier 88 (as 99.99% of NCL cruises do), the gate at 48th St. will be open .

Thank you! I wasn't sure if there was a gate at 48th or not. We're eyeing the Vibe passes, which necessitates an early arrival. As we travel light (one carry-on sized roller + backpack each) an under 1/4 mile walk should be fine- we'll certainly have longer walks than that once we reach Bermuda.

My only concern was my 65 year old mother and her safety- but seeing as how she went on safari in Africa earlier this year, I should probably stop thinking of her as a little old lady and give her some credit.

ETA: Just "went for the walk" with google street view- doesn't look like a bad walk at all!

Edited by TravelDiva88

Thank you! I wasn't sure if there was a gate at 48th or not. We're eyeing the Vibe passes, which necessitates an early arrival. As we travel light (one carry-on sized roller + backpack each) an under 1/4 mile walk should be fine- we'll certainly have longer walks than that once we reach Bermuda.

My only concern was my 65 year old mother and her safety- but seeing as how she went on safari in Africa earlier this year, I should probably stop thinking of her as a little old lady and give her some credit.

My wife and I are slightly older than your mother...and believe me we don't think of ourselves as "elderly" in any way. No little old lady or little old man here. ;)

Just don't expect the walk to be very scenic. There are a lot of auto dealerships, car rental agencies and other commercial/industrial operations in the neighborhood.

Edited by njhorseman

548 West 48th Street is just a few doors from the corner of 11th Avenue--only one block from the entrance to Pier 88 at 12th Avenue & West 48th St. If the ship is berthed at Pier 88, the gate there should be open.

The walk may not be scenic (until you get to the point where you can see your ship ahead of you), but it is quite short and safe. Stay on the sidewalk on the south side of West 48th Street; this will bring you right to the crosswalk across 12th Avenue and directly to the entrance to Pier 88.

The Google street view shows exactly what you'll encounter along the way. (I just tried it myself.;)) Though we can't guarantee what the weather will be like on the day of your departure.:D

For what it's worth, DW & I walk to the pier from the subway at 8th Ave & 50th Street, a somewhat longer walk than you will have. (Though we haven't done this with luggage--just for occasional ship visits.)

Unless the weather is inclement or you have luggage that you have to "lug" because it's not on wheels, you should have no problem walking. Mind the walk lights and you should have no problems at all. Once you get down to the terminal, it will be pretty easy to see at which corner you will need to cross.

You'll then have to take one of the big elevators at street level to get to the upper level where the luggage porters will check your big cases and then proceed to check-in in the cruise terminal.

Sorry have to agree with Horseman and disagree with the King (is this a Fantasy novel). Quoted statement is incorrect, the porters take your luggage at street level. They have for everyone of my cruises.

I've walked from 50th and 8th (C/E subway stop) without problems which I will be doing next Thursday going on the Glory pulling by suitcase.

Weekends I usually take the M42 bus and walk up 12th Ave to the pier since I can't get to the 8th Ave subway easily.

FWIW

I've walked from 50th and 8th (C/E subway stop) without problems which I will be doing next Thursday going on the Glory pulling by suitcase.

My wife and I did the same from 7th and 49th (N subway)! All the way down 49th - just 15-20 minutes walk (we're in mid 50th).

The only problem - we joined the line on street level for crew members. :) But porters took care of us taking the luggage and showing the elevator.

I just wonder, when you out of your hotel doors on that morning of your cruise, will you see your ship's funnel?

This is the entrance: goo . gl / maps / Cp7Nj (remove spaces)

Edited by vga50

I also have walked it many times. Pretty ugly areas, after you pass 10 Ave but I have never felt unsafe, even in the evening. BUT, it certainly is not for everyone. I've had no issue walking from Port Authority either. From Grand Central, I take the 42 bus and then walk from the 12 Ave stop. So a few options. There is also the 50th Street bus but it doesn't run too often, walking is usually faster.

• 5 years later...
Bumping this up....wondering about if walk from Comfort In to cruise port is still doable?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Sure, it's doable but, why schlepp your luggage? A cab will cost $7. Live a little you're on vacation. I would not suggest walking that area at night, it's deserted.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Sure, it's doable but, why schlepp your luggage? A cab will cost $7. Live a little you're on vacation. I would not suggest walking that area at night, it's deserted.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Going to/from the ship won't be at night.

For everything else, this is a quiet area at night like you say. I'd only use this hotel if I were arriving in NYC late the previous night and only using it for a place to sleep. It's inconvenient for seeing most of Manhattan

May be an old thread but the discussion still relevant 5 years later. There are 3 hotels in a row there in perfect place for a pleasant short walk to the port. Just down the sidewalk on the same side as the hotel, cross 12th ave and drop your luggage!

Or reverse - out the door, cross 12th and walk a little over one long block. Safe and easy. I would call a cab only if it is pouring. A cab will think you are crazy when they pull up - he will point at the ship, looming right there in view, and say "are you sure?"

Here is the crossing at 12th ave to the pier.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7654006,-73.997346,3a,75y,293.26h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfdi03AqFA0tZnMMJiV-vAw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Here is the view from the comfort inn.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7643507,-73.9948647,3a,75y,291.66h,81.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ7WGWnIUssk8xIulPmmVwg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

You can see the Pier building. 10 minute walk with luggage.

• 2 months later...

Re walking: If your ship does leave at Pier 88 (e.g, NCL) and the 48th street entrance is open, do you still have to walk down to a main/common entrance to check in (and if so, what cross street would that be)?  Or is something set up right by Pier 88?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, CrGuy said:

Re walking: If your ship does leave at Pier 88 (e.g, NCL) and the 48th street entrance is open, do you still have to walk down to a main/common entrance to check in (and if so, what cross street would that be)?  Or is something set up right by Pier 88?  Thanks!

Each pier has its own pedestrian entrance and check in facilities. If your ship is docked at Pier 88 and you're a pedestrian you enter Pier 88 at 48th St. and check in there. If your ship is docked at Pier 90 you enter Pier 90 at 50th St. and check in there.

If you're driving there is only one motor vehicle entrance, at 55th St. and 12th Ave....but you would eventually drive from that entrance to your own ship's pier.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Shidah said:

So for those familiar with the area, what is the closest hotel to NCL’s pier?

Ink 48, Comfort Inn, and Holiday Inn Express - all on or near W 48th St.  But why are you asking?  This area is out of the way. The general advice is that the midtown west area between 5th and 8th Ave and 42nd to 57th Sts is a much more interesting and appealing area to stay in.