Bummer about the deposit....

Shippy

I was all set this morning to hold a suite on the Norwegian Star for next March.

Turns out there is a $!500.00 NON refundable deposit.

I know other cruiselines are now implementing non refundable deposits on suites but not aware of any this high.

As I am 70 years old....you can see why I would hesitate at this amount....bummer !

I was all set this morning to hold a suite on the Norwegian Star for next March.

Turns out there is a $!500.00 NON refundable deposit.

I know other cruiselines are now implementing non refundable deposits on suites but not aware of any this high.

As I am 70 years old....you can see why I would hesitate at this amount....bummer !

Not sure I’m tracking why being 70 is a factor

I am assuming due to his age he has an increased risk for a medical condition to come up that might prevent him from cruising and losing the deposit.

OMG.....I'm 69, a cancer conqueror....and my oncologist told me that unless I get hit by a car (or something else unexpected)....I'll live to 118.

OP...it your really want to go, get insurance and if something bad happens, your insurance should cover it.

We haven't encountered any non-refundable deposit on NCL (not yet, anyway), unless we booked after final payment was due, in which case it wasn't really a "deposit".

So far, we've only been on one cruise line that had non-refundable deposits (part or all) and also a land-only private tour.

We always get travel insurance, so any need to cancel would be covered anyway.

GC

NCL's deposits have always been refundable, are you booking through a TA or direct through NCL? I suggest you call again and check. I booked a cruise on Thursday & the deposit is refundable.

I did check...apparently this policy applies to suites....

and to make matters worse... Norwegian is throwing in a 'free' beverage package. My husband was thrilled until he read the fine print.....we would be responsible for a 20% gratuity, EACH, DAILY. That is over $17. a day each. I do not drink but would be charged that anyway.

Like the old saying goes...if it looks to good to be true...and this did in the beginning.

You should be able to choose something other than the beverage package as a perk. We never take the beverage package, because we don’t drink enough to make it worthwhile.

If the suites get all the perks, check if there is a rate with no perks to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

and to make matters worse... Norwegian is throwing in a 'free' beverage package. My husband was thrilled until he read the fine print.....we would be responsible for a 20% gratuity, EACH, DAILY. That is over $17. a day each. I do not drink but would be charged that anyway.

Like the old saying goes...if it looks to good to be true...and this did in the beginning.

When did NCL change to non-refundable deposits for Suites?

That certainly wasn't the case in the past, and it wasn't the case very recently, either.

As for the "beverage package", we don't drink enough to justify those tips (and we mostly prefer nice bottles of wine with dinner, which are never included anyway).

So we've just declined the beverage package. Very easy.

Then we don't get billed for the "tips" on that "package".

GC

I have searched high and low to verify what OP is stating abotu the deposit and cannot find that information anywhere. All the materials that I can find say that >120 before sailing the deposit is fully refundable. I wonder if OP is working with a TA, and that is the TA fee?

Could you please let us know where you have found this information?

Too many of us are still finding that the regular deposits for NCL suites *are* refundable until final payment.

Are you *sure* you aren't referring to final payment, which has never been refundable for any level of accommodation on NCL?

GC

We have booked three cruises with NCL (all suites) and not once was the deposit nonrefundable.

NCL cancellation policy:

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

I don't know if the OP is from a different country with a separate cancellation policy, or if they are booking with a TA that imposes additional cancellation penalties over and above what NCL does, but barring one of those scenarios NCL suite deposits are refundable up to the point noted in the cancellation policy.

As for the beverage policy (again, assuming US booking) NCL definitely gives suite passengers the option of opting out of both the beverage package and the specialty dining package, negating the extra gratuity being charged.

OP where are you from (Country) and who are you booking with? Directly with NCL or a Travel Agent? I know in the UK the deposit is non-refundable, not sure about everyone else across the pond but if you book in the US your deposit is refundable up until 120 days before you cruise. After that your refund percentage goes down as the cruise gets closer.

In the UK we have a fully inclusive package that includes UBP, all gratuities, 2 bottles of water a day and 60 mins internet. $650 onboard credit when booking a Suite too in the current offer.
We booked just before Premium All Inclusive was announced with the UBP as our free perk and it was great value as drink gratuities were included. In the UK they can't advertise something as FREE and then charge you for using it. Consumer law.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

In the UK we have a fully inclusive package that includes UBP, all gratuities, 2 bottles of water a day and 60 mins internet. $650 onboard credit when booking a Suite too in the current offer.

Geez, maybe my next cruise should check and see if I can book from a UK site lol