Maasdam South Pacific Crossing Video highlights Feb. 2018

Bellair

Youtube Link:

South Pacific Cruise 2018 on Holland America's MS Maasdam from New Zealand-San Diego 25 nights

visiting the Bay of Islands-Tonga-Cook Islands-Papeete Tahiti - Moorea - Bora Bora - Honolulu Hawaii

with a critical medical Helicopter passenger evacuation at Mau, 18 hours out of our way!

The best video I have ever seen of an entire cruise (all in 20 minutes). Loved how you used the sound effects. Each segment was so lovingly selected for just the right essence.

And the Academy Award for best travel documentary .....goes to you, Bellair! Thank you for sharing this. Do tell, how many miles of "tape" was left on the cutting room floor to have extracted just the right shots to make this such a perfect production?

Thank you for the link to your super video.

Did you hear any update of the ill passenger?

Thank you Erewon,

Sorry we did not get an update even though it was asked to the Captain during a coffee interview, but HAL policy won't provide any info. His wife sailed onto San Diego & had full support from the team on board though.

Regards from Melbourne

The best video I have ever seen of an entire cruise (all in 20 minutes). Loved how you used the sound effects. Each segment was so lovingly selected for just the right essence.

And the Academy Award for best travel documentary .....goes to you, Bellair! Thank you for sharing this. Do tell, how many miles of "tape" was left on the cutting room floor to have extracted just the right shots to make this such a perfect production?

You are too kind Olssalt. I have a video production business to which I am winding down. The edits were made during sea days...and there were many. So all I had to do is to post edit in my studio after the day back from a long 16 hr flight.

I also used a DJI Osmo steady cam gimbal to get most of the smooth shots.

Regards & thank you so much for your kind comments.

Bellair-Melbourne AU

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful video. It brought back great memories of our cruise through the South Pacific last year on the Maasdam. The singing in Bora Bora was just beautiful. That was our favourite place of the entire cruise. I will add the link to my desktop and whenever anyone asks how our cruise was, I will show them your video! We love the Maasdam and have another cruise booked on her in June.

Thanks for sharing. Great video.

We will be sailing a similar cruise on the Maasdam in April 2019. From Auckland to San Francisco.

Do you recall hearing any talk on-board when the Maasdam will under go renovations to accommodate Zodiac boats and dry dock?

Thanks again.

Many thanks for your comments,

The ship, I believe, goes in August for a Dry Dock and adding around 6 Zodiacs stored on the forward deck area (If I remember the Captains Coffee chat discussion) Each Zodiac will have a designated guide for that group (re expensive excursion)

Regards

Bellair

The ship, I believe, goes in August for a Dry Dock and adding around 6 Zodiacs stored on the forward deck area (If I remember the Captains Coffee chat discussion) Each Zodiac will have a designated guide for that group (re expensive excursion)

Regards

Bellair

Thanks for your reply.

Thank you Erewon,

Sorry we did not get an update even though it was asked to the Captain during a coffee interview, but HAL policy won't provide any info. His wife sailed onto San Diego & had full support from the team on board though.

Regards from Melbourne

Thanks for your reply.

It's pleasing to know that the staff supported his wife.

Regards

Bellair

Just read about the Maasdam's upcoming KonTiki crusie - what a terrific itinerary. Sept 2018 - FLL - Papaetee.

Looks like they are turning the Maasdam a very special route ship with these additions. Zodiacs no less. What a wonderful way for her to enjoy her last and lingering days with HAL, creating even more special memories for those lucky enough to join her. She was our first HAL ship and that was almost 500 HAL days ago. We got hooked.

Just read about the Maasdam's upcoming KonTiki crusie - what a terrific itinerary. Sept 2018 - FLL - Papaetee.

Looks like they are turning the Maasdam a very special route ship with these additions. Zodiacs no less. What a wonderful way for her to enjoy her last and lingering days with HAL, creating even more special memories for those lucky enough to join her. She was our first HAL ship and that was almost 500 HAL days ago. We got hooked.

You are so right.

We booked the South Pacific WW2 Cruise, a similar one we did in 2007 on the Statendam ( the best cruise view parts 1 & 2 on youtube channel 'bellairintl') HAL said they would not do this type again as they ran out of supplies in remote ports, but here it is in August 28, 2019. Japan to Sydney.

Another is their Maasdam to Male in the Maldives & Sri Lanka. Great Itineraries.

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful video. It brought back great memories of our cruise through the South Pacific last year on the Maasdam. The singing in Bora Bora was just beautiful. That was our favourite place of the entire cruise. I will add the link to my desktop and whenever anyone asks how our cruise was, I will show them your video! We love the Maasdam and have another cruise booked on her in June.

The Church singing was pure chance and it was a bonus being in Bora Bora on a Sunday Daisybertie. Sooo wonderful was the singing!

You are so right.

We booked the South Pacific WW2 Cruise, a similar one we did in 2007 on the Statendam ( the best cruise view parts 1 & 2 on youtube channel 'bellairintl') HAL said they would not do this type again as they ran out of supplies in remote ports, but here it is in August 28, 2019. Japan to Sydney.

Another is their Maasdam to Male in the Maldives & Sri Lanka. Great Itineraries.

This thread got me poking around looking for Maasdam cruises in this new adventure-cruising mode, which is when we just found her upcoming KonTiki cruise this Setptember - so we just signed up last night. What a unique itinerary that will be - FLL to Papeete via Easter Island. Plus we can not make up for some of the South American ports we missed seeing in depth because we took the HAL side trip to Machu Picchu on our last trip down that way.

What a great Itinerary you have booked!

I do hope they can get you onto Easter Island as it is like our Cook Island stop....very touch & go with most cruises using the Tenders in big swells.

I am sure you will be fine.

Well done.

What a great Itinerary you have booked!

I do hope they can get you onto Easter Island as it is like our Cook Island stop....very touch & go with most cruises using the Tenders in big swells.

I am sure you will be fine.

Well done.

Thanks for the warning. Mixed blessing - if the seas are rough, then maybe this means we will be getting an El Nino up our way in Southern California? :confused: I wonder how the Zodiacs will be used on this itinerary - or if at all. I did notice many of the stops had wheelchair access warning.

Thanks for sharing your video with us. Maasdam was my second HAL cruise and I can still here the Captain's noon message where he always referred to her as the "Beautiful Maasdam".

I am happy that the company is putting some money back into her so that she will be around for those exotic cruises.

I enquired about both and the Zodiacs will be specifically used on these new remote cruises....at a price as each has a designated pro guide (part of the package if you book these) The wheelchair symbol on each ports shown is purely for guidance only as my wife need a chair at present to get around but can handle the stairs ok, so they said this was fine and should be no problem

Thanks for sharing your video with us. Maasdam was my second HAL cruise and I can still here the Captain's noon message where he always referred to her as the "Beautiful Maasdam".

I am happy that the company is putting some money back into her so that she will be around for those exotic cruises.

She is ‘ the beautiful’ Maasdam’ indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums