Where is the Emerald Seas?

• 7 months later...

What a great site to find all the history of our honeymoon cruise. July 1973, we drove to Miami from Kansas City and really had no idea of a cruise. Walked up and asked what was the least expensive cabin, $135 for 3 nights. I'll take it! How funny to find the watertight door and "bunk beds!!"

It was still heaven, how well furnished and decorated. Fanciest "hotel" I'd seen. Trip to Nassau was like a dream, Paradise Island untouched. I've been hooked on cruises ever since. Shipmate "Christie" RIP (1/30/2001)

Went on my Honey moon in 1986 on this boat..Our first and only Cruise.. Marriage didn't last..I was in the talent show and laid down a killer drum solo with the house band..I won the contest..Had a blast..great times..

• 3 months later...
A relative of mine used to perform on that ship. He has loads of info on it and is putting it in part of a book coming out. Hope this helps/quote]

I'd be interested if you could share his name. My first cruise was in the mid-70s with my dad on the Emerald Seas. We saw one performer (vocalist with band). A was all of 10 years old, so all I remember (other than the green leisure suit I wore -- heh), was this nice singer who sang "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" and gave me a free copy of his record when I stopped by the theater space later to play with the lighting while nobody was looking. He caught me :-)

• 4 months later...
We sailed on the Emerald Seas in the early 80's when it was owned by Eastern Steamship Co. I know that the ship went to Admiral, but where is it now? We have lots of great memories of that ship.

Katie

We sailed on that too! My parents were early cruisers and sometimes we went with them. SS Emerald Seas - Greek crew that was wwaaaaayyyy to interested in 13/14yo girls (or at least me). We were 2 of maybe 5 kids on the whole ship. Wow have things changed

• 1 month later...
I was on the Emerald Seas in 1976 for my Senior trip. Fun times!!! :D It's great seeing the pictures of her on here. I was wondering what had happened to her. I remember when we were docked at Nassau, we just walked over to the Flavia, walked right inside and took a tour, no security, no problem!! :)

My Senior Cruise was on the Flavia in 1975. My first wife was on the Emerald of the Seas the next year. But only because she didn't just hear about the wild parties, we raved about the FOOD! Alas, a different ship. Those Italians could cook! It was weird to hear American rock played by an Italian band, especially the song We're An American Band by Grand Funk Railroad. Some of my friends jumped off the ship while we were docked in Nassau and got all scraped up climbing up the pier. I took them towels and their IDs. We rented mopeds and rode all around Nassau and got soooo sunburned! We had an excursion including lunch on a beach. Several of us who were on the swim team decided to swim to a small island offshore. When we got there the shallows were full of sea urchins which we could see perfectly because of the crystal clear water. Rather than get impaled we turned around and swam back. Yes, good times!

• Like 1

My Senior Cruise was on the Flavia in 1975. My first wife was on the Emerald of the Seas the next year. But only because she didn't just hear about the wild parties, we raved about the FOOD! Alas, a different ship. Those Italians could cook! It was weird to hear American rock played by an Italian band, especially the song We're An American Band by Grand Funk Railroad. Some of my friends jumped off the ship while we were docked in Nassau and got all scraped up climbing up the pier. I took them towels and their IDs. We rented mopeds and rode all around Nassau and got soooo sunburned! We had an excursion including lunch on a beach. Several of us who were on the swim team decided to swim to a small island offshore. When we got there the shallows were full of sea urchins which we could see perfectly because of the crystal clear water. Rather than get impaled we turned around and swam back. Yes, good times!

:'):'):') We rented mopeds about a year before in port from the same ship except (1) it was on paradise island, (2) I was 13, and (3) I had no clue how to ride a moped. But I was girl with an independent streak and not enough fear! :D:')

Lynn

• 1 year later...

In 1973, they advertised in the Sunday newspaper $97.50 for a 3-night cruise, my parents allowed me to go with my best friend's crazy Mom, they made me do extra yard work to pay for it. Friend's Mom paid for a nicer cabin on the sun deck, not to be in "steerage" as she called it. It was a very impressive ship, with crushed velvet footstools, plush carpet and flocked wallpaper. My friend and I were all over the ship while his Mom was drunk in our stateroom most of the time. We played the slots, watched The Doberman Gang movie in the cinema, and I ordered myself a Grasshopper from a bar that was set up on an outside deck, the only drink that sounded good to me at 13 years old. Rules have changed but back then when you were in international waters, they would serve a minor. I remember how impressive the dining room was to have the same two waiters who gave us so much attention and the food was very fancy and good. I haven't cruised since but I chose Rhapsody of the Seas transatlantic for my 60th birthday because it seems like the closest thing to Emerald Seas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My First  ocean cruise was with my wife on the Emerald Seas in the early 70’s and I just returned from my Second ocean cruise with friends on the Wind Surf. Decided after the first cruise that cruising was for honeymooners and “old” people. Now I am one. Loved the sailing ship, now thinking about another small ship cruise. 

• 2 years later...

My husband and I were 2 of the 4 first watersports directors when the Emerald Seas did it's maiden voyages to Little Stirrup Cay in 1983. We would spend 2 months on the ship, promoting the snorkeling program, wind surfing and sail fish. Then we'd move the the island for 2 months and live a very spartan lifestyle on Little Stirrup Cay. There was no hot water (or fresh water as the reverse osmosis system never worked!) and only 9 people lived there. The ship stopped twice a week and then the island was flooded with passengers having fun, eating, snorkeling etc. The Emerald Seas was the first ship we worked on and what a wonderful experience it was! Lovely ship and a wonderful crew. The months we were on board we also did cruise staff duties like bingo etc. Gino Conte was the Cruise Director, Jodi Rapchuck his assistant. The ship ran under Captain Daniel Zenicasalaya. So many good memories of that time. 

• Thanks 1

I only have a couple of souvenirs from the SS Emerald Seas, a nice glass dish, a thermometer and a postcard of one of the cabins. Such retro and interesting colors they picked for the cabins. 

ss_emerald_seas_thermometer_by_wildelf34_dck6aif-fullview.jpg

eastern_steamship_lines_dish_by_wildelf34_d9vofvk-fullview.jpg

ss_emerald_seas_cabin_postcard_by_wildelf34_d95bj8v-fullview.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I went on the old Bahama Star before the Emerald Seas replaced her.  My cabin attendant was Francis from Jamaica. We later went on the Emerald Seas about 15 times in the mid and late 70s. We organized college group trips from E Kentucky University for spring break.  Our last trip we had over 100 people.  By this time Francis had been promoted to a ships officer as head of housekeeping. We had a Greek waiter named Tasos that became a good friend over the years.  We have videos jumping from the ship in Nassau from the pool deck and higher up by the lifeboats.  Does anyone remember our crazy groups and antics.  I would love to have any info on Francis and Tasos. 

Edited by Desertross