Picking up my parents from Maasdam cruise in Boston, what is latest they can stay on?

cdoobiest

Hi everyone, I live in Boston and my parents are taking Holland Maasdam for first time.

They are leaving May 12 and arriving May 19 on Canada/New England Cruise. They are Canadian. Looks like boat arrive Boston 7am. I was thinking of picking them up at cruise terminal around 10-11am. Is that too late for Holland?

Also, looks like they embark at 5pm. Would 2-3pm drop off work for cruise. I am used to Caribbean cruises out of Florida so just want to make sure I get times right for them.

Thanks

Figure the last of the passengers will be off the ship at around 9:30, give or take a few minutes. By then the "final call" for everyone to be off their -dam ship will be broadcast.

Ten or eleven o'clock is much too late, as the cabins need to be cleaned, the ship zeroed down, and new passengers allowed to start boarding around 11:30. That's a short space of time as it is.

If their sail-away is at 5:00, the muster drill will be about 4:00, or 4:15, so they must be aboard before then.

They should be able to check in starting at 11:00, with boarding at 11:30. They will want to unpack, learn their way around the ship if they don't know the ship already, have lunch, and perhaps deal with a few business odds & ends, like making salon/spa appointments, specialty dinner reservations, check on shore excursions.

Truly, boarding day is full as it is, so delaying until late in the afternoon is not the best use of time, IMO.

We are also on this cruise ( May 12-19). Our last port before Boston is Bar Harbor. Will we clear US customs at Bar Harbor and be free to just exit the ship in Boston?

You will clear Immigration in Bar Harbor, and Customs in Boston when heading south. Clearing Customs should be quick & easy. You may not even break stride.

You will clear Immigration in Bar Harbor, and Customs in Boston when heading south. Clearing Customs should be quick & easy. You may not even break stride.
We almost always cleared customs and immigration in Boston , at the end of our cruises, but for rare exceptions. of Our very large number of such cruises, I only recalll clearing in Bar Harbor twice. ALMost always, Boston The grass is gree n HAL ship hulls are blue. :rolleyes:

You cannot clear Customs without all the items you will take off the ship. We took our lu at the end ofgage off, ovbiously, in Boston. at the end of our cruise,,,Motgreal to Boston , cruise over.

\We ceratinly d id not take our luggage off for our port day in Bar Harbor.

Immigration and cu toms at the end of cruise in Boston is almost alway s done as One procedure.

Edited by sail7seas

Sorry 7, Ruth is correct. Immigration has nothing to do with luggage.

Sorry..... If you are correcting me, kindly read wat wrote so the correction won't need correction. :D

I said Customs and the requirement to have your luggage to clear customs.

And said in Boston Immigration and Customs flow as one procedure.

My Post #9 in this thread. ;

We almost always cleared customs and immigration in Boston , at the end of our cruises, but for rare exceptions. of Our very large number of such cruises, I only recalll clearing in Bar Harbor twice. ALMost always, Boston The grass is gree n HAL ship hulls are blue. :rolleyes:

You cannot clear Customs without all the items you will take off the ship. We took our lu at the end ofgage off, ovbiously, in Boston. at the end of our cruise,,,Motgreal to Boston , cruise over.

\We ceratinly d id not take our luggage off for our port day in Bar Harbor.

Immigration and cu toms at the end of cruise in Boston is almost alway s done as One procedure.

[/qiote]

Post # 9 above.

Grass is green............... HAL hulls are blue.

Edited by sail7seas

I've only done Boston to Montreal, so I can't comment first hand on the Bar Harbor and Boston immigration and customs process. Nevertheless, thinking about Western Caribbean cruises that stop in Key West before finishing at Port Everglades, we've cleared immigration in Key West (first US port) and customs at PE (disembarkation with possessions). Pretty sure it would the same with a Canada/New England cruise, clearing immigration in Bar Harbor and customs in Boston, but as I said, I can't speak from personal experience.

I have sailed Bos ton to Montreal and stayed aboard for the return cruise to Boston a great many times. . As I stated, fa r MOre often than not we cleared Immigration in Boston as one fluid pro cedure combined with customs. . I speak from a great deal of personal experience. A very large number of b-to-b's on this itinerary.