Mt Rainier vs Olympic National Park plus Seattle questions

Our family will be cruising out of Seattle this August and we've given ourselves 2 full days before the cruise to go sightseeing in the area. One day we plan on seeing downtown Seattle, the waterfront, Seattle Center and the Space Needle and the second day we're deciding between Mt Rainier vs Olympic National Parks.

More people I've talked to have said Mt. Rainier has better scenery and is closer to our hotel (by the airport) and also that when we're on board the ship we'll be sailing by Olympic anyway but others claims Olympic is more worth seeing. So far we plan on renting a car to see either one but are there good tours that pick people up from the airport area that goes to either national park?

Typically what kind of wait is there for the Space Needle? Is it a place like the Washington Monument or the Gateway Arch where you may have to wait an hour to get in if you don't already have tickets? How far ahead should we buy tickets, and what about dinner reservations in the restaurant? We are deciding between eating dinner in the Space Needle or going to Ivar's.

Do the fishmongers in Pike Place Market constantly perform their "show" the entire time the market is open or is it just at certain times of the day?

Lastly, what's the consensus on tipping in Washington State now given the new $15 minimum wage that servers make? I've also heard differing things ranging from how 10% is now a good tip in Washington and Oregon vs how tipping standards are still the same as back home?

Both national parks are about 2 hours from Seattle, with the Olympics being slightly farther. If you are staying by SeaTac then you are closer to Mt. Rainier.

In my opinion, tipping is a reward for good service, therefore I would not change my tipping habits just because the servers are suddenly being given a minimum wage increase. The one has nothing to do with the other, and they should be getting a living wage anyway, which most servers do not. Therefore I will still tip at 20%

Our family will be cruising out of Seattle this August and we've given ourselves 2 full days before the cruise to go sightseeing in the area. One day we plan on seeing downtown Seattle, the waterfront, Seattle Center and the Space Needle and the second day we're deciding between Mt Rainier vs Olympic National Parks.

More people I've talked to have said Mt. Rainier has better scenery and is closer to our hotel (by the airport) and also that when we're on board the ship we'll be sailing by Olympic anyway but others claims Olympic is more worth seeing. So far we plan on renting a car to see either one but are there good tours that pick people up from the airport area that goes to either national park?

Typically what kind of wait is there for the Space Needle? Is it a place like the Washington Monument or the Gateway Arch where you may have to wait an hour to get in if you don't already have tickets? How far ahead should we buy tickets, and what about dinner reservations in the restaurant? We are deciding between eating dinner in the Space Needle or going to Ivar's.

Do the fishmongers in Pike Place Market constantly perform their "show" the entire time the market is open or is it just at certain times of the day?

Lastly, what's the consensus on tipping in Washington State now given the new $15 minimum wage that servers make? I've also heard differing things ranging from how 10% is now a good tip in Washington and Oregon vs how tipping standards are still the same as back home?

The Olympic National Park is a little farther but I prefer hiking through the Hoh Rain Forest to walking around the Mt Rainier visitor center. I disagree that Mt Rainier has better scenery.

I am not sure the Space Needle Restaurant will be open yet in August, If it is then it is a great way to skip the line and get a "free" ride up the elevator. If not and you have a car I suggest a window reservation (make it now) at Palisade over Ivar's (and nothing against Ivar's).

The Fishmongers pretty much throw fish the entire time during the summer. You can throw or catch if you ask nicely (and maybe buy something).

Tipping it still the same unless the restaurant states otherwise (a couple have done away with tips).

The closest visitor destination in Olympic National Park to Seattle, requires nearly four hours to reach, including a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island. Other areas worth seeing, such as the rain forest valleys on the west coast, or the Pacific beaches, are roughly 4 1/2 hours. Seeing Olympic NP in one day is basically impossible; most people will tell you you really need three full days to do the park justice. (The main park features are on the periphery; the interior of the park is roadless wilderness, so you have to drive around the perimeter, on not-very-scenic roads.)

From Seattle to the Paradise visitor center on Mt. Rainier takes around 2 1/2 hours (maybe 15 minutes less from the airport) plus time lining up at the park entrance. On summer weekends things can be very crowded, too, with full parking lots. That's not to discourage visiting; you'll probably be there for the wildflowers, and the Stevens Canyon Road (which you'd take leaving the Paradise area) is nothing short of stunning.

20120903_677s.jpg

Other things...

The Space Needle restaurant is closed for renovations and won't be open by August. Will this be on a weekend? If so, the wait for the Space Needle can be quite long for walk-ups. Honestly, there are so many places in Seattle with free views that - just my opinion - you could use the money (a lot of it) someplace else, with better results.

If by any chance this is the first weekend in August, be aware of Seafair, a local midsummer festival which on the weekend - Aug. 3 - 5 - features hydroplane races on Lake Washington east of the city, as well as an air show featuring the Blue Angels. https://www.seafair.com/events/2018/seafair-weekend-festival . This can impact traffic in town, particularly the I-90 bridge over Lake Washington, which is closed during the air show.

The fish flingers at the Pike market start throwing the poor things around early. (They use just one or two during the course of the day because all the throwing and catching bruises the fish so badly that it's unsellable.) The standard suggestion for visiting Pike Place in the summer is to be there as early as humanly possible, and try to be gone by 10 or 10:30, after which the crowds become simply horrid.

Nothing has changed on the tipping front; 15 - 20% is still the norm.

Back to the excursion topic. Y'know, you're going to be seeing a lot of mountain scenery on your trip, so I wonder if a lower-key day of touring might not be worth considering. Here's a possibility to consider - (map) - https://goo.gl/maps/ZLENa1RVKQw

This would involve a loop that includes Point Defiance in Tacoma (you could also visit the Museum of Glass and Chihuly Bridge of Glass in Tacoma) then a short ferry ride to the south end of beautiful and very rural Vashon Island. Drive up Vashon (fruit stands, farmers markets) to Maury Island (attached by an isthmus) and visit the very picturesque Point Robinson lighthouse, with (hopefully) its stunning views of Mt. Rainier, then continue north up Vashon to the ferry to the Fauntleroy ferry dock in West Seattle.

From Fauntleroy, drive up the coast to Alki Point and Alki ("al-kai") Beach, with its miniature Statue of Liberty and views of the Olympic mountains and passing ferries. There are numerous cafes and restaurants facing the beach, or you can continue around Duwamish Head to Harbor Avenue, with its stunning views of the city skyline across Elliott Bay. (This could easily be a free alternative to the Space Needle in terms of views.) If you want an excellent seafood meal, you could stop at Salty's, with arguably the best view from any restaurant in Seattle. Or if Salty's is a bit too expensive, stop at Marination Ma Kai, a very fun Korean/Hawaiian place (with wonderful outdoor terrace) for kalbi sliders or Spam musubi, and maybe a killer Mai Tai, with the same amazing view of the city. Then back to the airport to drop the car. This is a relaxing and very scenic day, highly recommended.

Point Robinson lighthouse

vashon-light-1.jpg

Mt. Rainier from Point Robinson

Rainier-from-Vashon-1.jpg

Views from Alki Beach

P1000154s2.jpg

P1000142s.jpg

View from Harbor Avenue (Marination Ma Kai, Salty's)

P1000161s.jpg

Thanks for the reply and the amazing pictures! We'll be in Seattle on a Tuesday - Thursday, probably doing the city on Wednesday and Mt. Rainier on Thursday and board the ship on Friday. Our flights land in the evening on Tuesday so we're just going to go to the hotel by the airport and relax.

How much of the Olympic NP shoreline would be visible on a ship sailing out of Puget Sound?

A Thursday at Mt. Rainier is a good time to go up there. I recommend you get an early start, traffic can be horrendous in the Seattle area, you want to go up to Paradise https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/paradise.htm As you cruise out of Puget Sound and into the Strait of Juan de Fuca about all you'll be able to see of Olympic NP will be the Olympic mountains.

Thanks for the reply and the amazing pictures! We'll be in Seattle on a Tuesday - Thursday, probably doing the city on Wednesday and Mt. Rainier on Thursday and board the ship on Friday. Our flights land in the evening on Tuesday so we're just going to go to the hotel by the airport and relax.

How much of the Olympic NP shoreline would be visible on a ship sailing out of Puget Sound?

You won't see much...you really need to drive/hike through it. The Olympic National Park visitor center is actually only 2 1/2 hours from SEA (you go south through Tacoma) and the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center is another 30 minutes from there (the Hoh visitor center is quite a bit farther taking that route...it is 4 hours from SEA going direct). We have done them as day trips but it makes for a long day (although not really that much longer than Mt Rainier)...here is what the park service suggests for a few hours, an entire day, and more than one day.

To the OP - a year ago we did pretty much the same trip you are looking at. We flew into SEA and rented a Hertz car and spent the first and second nights at a hotel in Puyallup. Next day we drove to and all around Mt. Rainer, ending up back in Puyallup. The next day we drove into Seattle, dropped our luggage at Hyatt Place near the Space Needle and then the car at the nearby Marriott Courtyard.

Then we walked to the Space Needle, toured the area, and took the monorail ($1) to Westlake Center. Toured the downtown area and Pikes Market. Called Hyatt Place and they sent their shuttle van to pick us up (for free near Pikes). The next morning you can taxi to the pier.

Yes we plan on taking the Seattle Express shuttle and chose the Comfort Suites by the airport because it provides transportation from the airport and Seattle Express also stops there and we can pick up a rental car from the airport.

We are probably going to look into buying Space Needle tickets in advance. I've also heard the Columbia Center mentinoed as having a higher observation deck but we are more fascinated by the Space Needle because of its unique architecture.

Any good tours to Mt Rainier or Olympic that would help bypass the lines? If we drive a rental my dad does have the senior pass that gets the entire car in for free.

We are probably going to look into buying Space Needle tickets in advance. I've also heard the Columbia Center mentinoed as having a higher observation deck but we are more fascinated by the Space Needle because of its unique architecture.

Any good tours to Mt Rainier or Olympic that would help bypass the lines? If we drive a rental my dad does have the senior pass that gets the entire car in for free.

We did the Columbia Center and felt that the views were fantastic! Mt. Rainier - I do not remember any tours, we just drove around the mountain and stopped at the visitor center (there are two main ones by the way). We also used the Senior Pass and it saved us a ton!

Just a caution from a resident of Washington,..If you are driving anywhere ,you will want to time your departures and arrivals to avoid rush hour, if possible. Traffic is truly awful here. Olympics are prettier but Ranier will be easier for you to get to..and you'll kick yourself if you miss it..:).And it is also so beautiful it hurts

I couldn’t agree more with dee2673. Traffic in the Seattle/Tacoma area is absolutely the worse and it’s getting worse every year. Weekends aren’t too bad, but week days are the worse. If you’re driving to Mt. Rainier go early, pick up a picnic lunch and take your time. It’s a lovey drive around the mountain, stopping at Paradise visitor center and at Sunrise visitor center, if the weather is nice.

I couldn’t agree more with dee2673. Traffic in the Seattle/Tacoma area is absolutely the worse and it’s getting worse every year. Weekends aren’t too bad, but week days are the worse. If you’re driving to Mt. Rainier go early, pick up a picnic lunch and take your time. It’s a lovey drive around the mountain, stopping at Paradise visitor center and at Sunrise visitor center, if the weather is nice.

We left our hotel in Puyallup (south of airport a bit) at 9 AM and did not get to the Space Needle until 11 AM. We had figured that by that time rush hour would be over - what a traffic mess. We talked to a clerk in our hotel who does this route everyday and she said that our experience is the norm. SO, allow yourself plenty of time and patience.

• 5 weeks later...

We spent time before and after a cruise from Seattle a few years ago. The views from the Columbia Center were amazing, no queues to get in either. Maybe consider taking a look at the Space Needle from the ground, and then enjoy the view down onto it from the Columbia Center?

None of it. The park is inland. Check Google Maps. Not to say that the shoreline you will see is not beautiful, but it isn't part of Olympic NP.