Restaurants in the Wharf Area

suekel

Looking for restaurants in the wharf area that are good, won't break the bank and sufficient for a husband who hates fish. Staying at the Courtyard by Marriott so within walking distance.

Thanks

Boudin is good and an experience and won't break the bank. It's touristy and slightly overpriced but what isn't down there? If you have kids they will enjoy watching the bakers and my kids always loved it when I would bring home turtles.

Oh sorry I thought the Wharf would be sufficient. Fisherman's Wharf, therefore San Francisco. I don't do the west coast often, are there other famous wharf's?

Yep, every seaport town here on the west coast has a wharf area, Monterey, Seattle, San Francisco, San Pedro:Long Beach, lots of seafood restaurants. SF is extremely pricey. We can’t get out of there for less than a small fortune when we take our company over there.

One place That has been consistently good over the years is actually located on Pier 39, very touristy area on fisherman‘s wharf, it is called Pier Market, and everyone that we’ve ever taken there has loved the food. It’s more reasonable than many restaurants over there and you can dress casually and they have things on the menu that are not seafood. They have clam chowder in a sourdough bowl which is cheaper than at Boudin, or at least when we ate there a couple years ago it was cheaper and you sit down and they serve yyou unlike Boudin where you have to order your food and scramble to try to find a table, and it is always crowded beyond belief. Don’t get me wrong, I love

Boudin and I love to buy my sourdough bread there, but I was really surprised that their clam chowder was about 50% more than at pier market.

https://piermarket.com

Our personal favorite is Scoma‘s SCOMA‘s, and old San Francisco favorite and they do have an emphasis on seafood but once again there are other things on the menu that you can get as well and they do not take reservations.

I don’t know where the courtyard Marriott is located but you can always take Uber or a cable car to get to the wharf.

1f8eb679a4c3a4bf71b376e731ed3f37.jpg

dbe5da357d953e2e4ef1edba3b5842f2.jpg

This assumes you are at the Beach Street area Courtyard by Mariott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Yep, every seaport town here on the west coast has a wharf area, Monterey, Seattle, San Francisco, San Pedro:Long Beach, lots of seafood restaurants. SF is extremely pricey. We can’t get out of there for less than a small fortune when we take our company over there.

One place That has been consistently good over the years is actually located on Pier 39, very touristy area on fisherman‘s wharf, it is called Pier Market, and everyone that we’ve ever taken there has loved the food. It’s more reasonable than many restaurants over there and you can dress casually and they have things on the menu that are not seafood. They have clam chowder in a sourdough bowl which is cheaper than at Boudin, or at least when we ate there a couple years ago it was cheaper and you sit down and they serve yyou unlike Boudin where you have to order your food and scramble to try to find a table, and it is always crowded beyond belief. Don’t get me wrong, I love

Boudin and I love to buy my sourdough bread there, but I was really surprised that their clam chowder was about 50% more than at pier market.

https://piermarket.com

Our personal favorite is Scoma‘s SCOMA‘s, and old San Francisco favorite and they do have an emphasis on seafood but once again there are other things on the menu that you can get as well and they do not take reservations.

I don’t know where the courtyard Marriott is located but you can always take Uber or a cable car to get to the wharf.

Boudin (at least as of couple of years ago) also has a sit down restaurant...but yeah there is a little bit of a touristy premium but not too bad.

I like Scoma's, but it is seafood centric. I think it has one steak on the menu.

Look at McCormick's & Kuleto's and maybe the House of Prime Rib, which is just over a mile away.

House of Prime Rib is a fantastic suggestion!!! Love that place.

I have to agree with 4cats4me about Pier Market. Have eaten there several times and have always had a good meal. You can google them and see their menu. Plenty of things for someone who doesn't like seafood. A plus for me is walking down the pier afterwards to watch the sea lions.

We love Scomas and because we love Dungeness Crab so much, will pay for the sandwich. My DH is from the area but this is my cruise because I am from N.J. I will consider the meal a bargain compared to an overpriced excursion.

Is there any transportation between the pier and restaurant? My husband has problems walking distances. Do they always dock at the same pier? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We love Scomas and because we love Dungeness Crab so much, will pay for the sandwich. My DH is from the area but this is my cruise because I am from N.J. I will consider the meal a bargain compared to an overpriced excursion.

Is there any transportation between the pier and restaurant? My husband has problems walking distances. Do they always dock at the same pier? Thanks.

You should Uber or taxi. There are little horse drawn carriages, too. Have no idea how much they cost.

There's the F Line streetcar line running through Fisherman's Wharf down the Embarcadero and it has a stop in front of the Pier 27 cruise terminal.

The F Line consists of older or vintage electric street/trolley cars.

Looking for restaurants in the wharf area that are good, won't break the bank and sufficient for a husband who hates fish. Staying at the Courtyard by Marriott so within walking distance. Thanks

San Francisco's only In 'n Out Burger is just around the corner from your hotel. Send your husband there.

http://locations.in-n-out.com/154

For yourself, order a cup of chowder and a Dungeness crab cocktail from one of the nearby sidewalk seafood stands. I'm a local and that's what I would do.

For restaurant dining, I prefer Alioto's because I've been going there since high school and still love it. Many locals refuse to admit to visiting Fisherman's Wharf, let alone eating there. I have no such problem.

For restaurant dining, I prefer Alioto's because I've been going there since high school and still love it.

To clarify, Alioto's has an outdoor café and also an upstairs restaurant. My earlier message referred to the upstairs restaurant. I have never eaten at the café, but I'm sure it's good too.

http://aliotos.com/

http://aliotoscafe8.com/

During visits to San Francisco, I have dined at Fisherman's Grotto, Alioto's, and Scoma's. I prefer Scoma's; food is very good and the service very friendly; it seems less touristy than Fisherman's Grotto, for example. Alioto's is also very good with better views, I think, and also less touristy than Fisherman's Grotto.

San Francisco's only In 'n Out Burger is just around the corner from your hotel. Send your husband there.

For restaurant dining, I prefer Alioto's because I've been going there since high school and still love it. Many locals refuse to admit to visiting Fisherman's Wharf, let alone eating there. I have no such problem.

Mmm. Double-double animal style!

Yes, I live in The City, and no, except for catching a boat to Alcatraz, visiting the Hyde Street Pier, or eating that double-double, I never find myself going to the Wharf. (OK, I did visit the San Francisco Dungeon once, but it was a Groupon deal.)

We were invited to Alioto's by visiting friends, and I was actually surprised by the quality of the food. But I was glad someone else was footing the bill.

For cheaper eats

Boudin’s - they have a counter down stairs. The crab sandwich is good. Check out the small museum upstairs and get some Chocolate Raisin sourdough bread.

- In n Out. Look online for their secret menu.

- The Ferry Building is a great place to graze. A bit of a flat walk from Fisherman’s Wharf.

- Ghirardelli has a sit down ice cream place at the upper level of its square. Below, facing the water is a walk up and ce cream store.

For cheaper eats walk up Columbus to Chinatown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...