Japan - To Cruise or Not to Cruise

travellovers2

We are torn between doing two weeks by land on our own or 1 week by land and 1 week cruise. May 2019

Can someone give me their opinion?

We want to stay in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. This is why we don't want to do more than 7 days cruise because it doesn't give us enough time in these places. We only have 2 weeks.

That being said, these are the ports the cruise line is offering.

Ports: Kobe, Kochi, Hiroshima, Matsuyama, Miyazaki, Busan, Kammon Strait, Kobe

Is it worth it to visit these ports rather than staying 1 more week on land and doing day tours or going somewhere else? We have never been to Japan, so we don't know what to expect.

Thank you for your help.

We are torn between doing two weeks by land on our own or 1 week by land and 1 week cruise. May 2019

We want to stay in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. .

I love cruising!

But two or so days in Tokyo or Kyoto? (never been in Osaka but would love to do so).

The cruise can only sample Japan and very little at that. I don't know where you live but would eight hours in your nearest city (or your city) be sufficient?

I would opt for a land tour - Kyoto itself is worth 3-4 days!

My 2-cents.

We did a Japan cruise and loved it. Here´s our review: https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

We love cruising for the convenience of our hotel traveling with us and not having to pack and unpack all the time.

On our cruise we fell in love with Japan. So we booked another cruise to Japan for next year. This time a cruise with HAL offering a different itinerary all around Japan.

Personally I find a 7 day cruise too short. So I would either do the 14 day cruise or a two week land trip. Why mix?

As we already booked the 2nd Japan cruise, you can see which method of travel we prefer ;-)

I hear you! We love cruising, 34 and counting!. We usually cruise 3-4 times a year. Like, you we prefer not to unpack so much and it gives you the opportunity to see more places in the 2 weeks we have.

But... we had a cruise booked in Japan for 2 weeks on Oct 2014 and had to cancel the same day because two typhoons were going to hit Japan those two weeks and the ship was going to stay off shore. Not worth it. Two years later we booked a 2 week land tour on our own and then the earthquakes started two weeks before we were supposed to go.

So we're trying to combine it to see if maybe we luck out, but 3 is a charm or two warnings to stay away were not enough? :D

Personally I would choose the two week land tour and tailor it to suit.

I'd recommend at least 5 days in Tokyo and do a day trip to Nikko on one of those days.

Then get the shinkensen down to Kyoto. Kyoto can be used as a base for sightseeing in Osaka, Nara and Himeji - just use the trains to get to and from those places if you don't want to be changing hotels all the time. I'd allow at least two days in Kyoto itself, do a full tour of Kyoto plus allow some time to just explore the main part of the city.

Then go down to Hiroshima. Make sure you visit Miyajima - stay overnight on the island in a ryoken if you can.

You can arrange to have the bulk of your luggage shipped from hotel to hotel and just take small carry-ons on the train. This is very common in Japan. Your hotel can arrange it for you. You can also arrange for your bags to be shipped to the airport you are departing from but you have to allow two days for this. eg ship them from Kyoto and do Hiroshima/Miyajima with carry-ons.

Another option: Some years ago we did a wonderful tour that went from Tokyo to Mt Fuji, Hakone, Takayama, Shirakawago, Kanazawa, and ended in Kyoto. Really worth doing if this is still offered.

I'd personally prefer the land option. But that's already having been there. It's just a rush to see selected sights in each city, and you're not always close to town.

But that's a common experience with cruising elsewhere as well, so comes down to personal preference. If you enjoy doing local things, currency and so on then I'd be more inclined to go the land option. If you prefer the cruise line to take care of things, go on ship tours and so on then the ship option continues with that convenience.

We cruised from Vancouver to Yokohama last year, then added ten days on land in Japan. We bought a rail pass and went on the Shinkansen to Kyoto. We spent four days there, with a day trip to Nara, then shipped our suitcases to Tokyo. We spent one night in a ryokan near Mount Fuji then spent the rest of our time in and around Tokyo.

We visited two ports in Japan on the cruise, but having the opportunity to travel at our own pace was preferable. I think your choice is between seeing a little of many places on a cruise or seeing places in more depth and absorbing the atmosphere and way of life. I know which I would choose, but we are retired and have the luxury of time to explore.

I am about to take my 3rd cruise around Japan. Having been to Japan many times about 12 I think, I enjoy a combination of both land and cruise. I will admit up front I am not a big city person and only go to Tokyo if I am taking newcomers to Japan on my holidays, otherwise I would happily skip Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya etc.

I insist anyone I take must visit Hiroshima. We usually do 2 weeks with JR pass and cruise. My favourite places are Miyajima, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Nara, Takayama, Nikko, Hakone area. We usually base ourselves at a hotel for 3-4 days and travel out from there rather than move on every day or two. The luggage transfer service is excellent. The shinkansen is so fast and easy that you can go anywhere fast.

I love the smaller towns and walking around "talking" with the locals and thats why I like to combine both the cruise and land travel.

Our, or my, fear of the two weeks land tour are the earthquakes. Have any of you had that fear in mind the times that you stayed there?

I know it's unpredictable, but it's a reality that it happens quite often, so I am concerned about being on land so long. At least by cruise you are only there during the day and don't have to think about it every time you go to sleep.

Worrying too much?? :rolleyes:

Yes worrying too much but if you are really worried then you aren't going to be able to relax and enjoy your time in Japan.

My 16 year old daughter was in Japan for only 6 days of her 12 month rotary exchange program when Kobe earthquake hit. It was a traumatic time for her, and I don't believe she ever really recovered from it as she was living quite close and felt it and saw all the tv coverage. She will still tell you 23 years later that it was the best year of her life.

Ive been in Japan when there have been minor ripples, they woke me but its something we just got used to

All hotels are very well prepared with plans on the back of doors and they provide torches beside the bed to be used as needed.

We just go about our sightseeing day without thinking about earthquakes.

A LOT Of people do both. Start with land, so you can adjust to the time zone at your own pace and get oriented. Then you will be poised to take full advantage of the cruise. Use your time for the land portion to focus on places inland since you will be visiting coastal port cities on the cruise.

A LOT Of people do both. Start with land, so you can adjust to the time zone at your own pace and get oriented. Then you will be poised to take full advantage of the cruise. Use your time for the land portion to focus on places inland since you will be visiting coastal port cities on the cruise.

We’re going to book it for 2020. The cruise stays the last two days in Yokohama. Is it easy to go to Tokyo and back that night ?

Yes only about 30 -40 minutes each way by train. Check out hyperdia.com for train times and fares.

Hotels are a lot cheaper in Yokohama too.

Thank you. I’ve been looking for a website that would have train schedules. In this case we will not need a hotel because the ship is staying in Port for two days. Once we get off the ship then we’re going to stay in Kyoto for three days. I am very excited about this cruise!!

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't read all of the other posts but I will say we cruise a lot and choose to do Japan via a land tour on our own. We actually flew from Tokyo to Osaka to get to Kyoto and had no regrets as we got to see Osaka as well for a day and that was a real treat. We loved pretty much everything about Japan. From the food we got to wandering around the temples to the wonderful onsens and bath houses at night. There is so much we would have missed if we did it by a cruise.