Iceland's Whale Hunt

jkadventures

We have sadly just cancelled our much anticipated 2019 voyage on the QV to Iceland and the British Isles. Why? Not because someone might be wearing jeans after 6 pm or the drinks are too expensive- but because of the Iceland government's sanction of restarting whale hunts in and around their waters. For those that are not aware, Iceland plans on slaughtering over 200 fin whales; the hunts began last weekend. Here's just one of many links for more information:

fin-whale-hunting-iceland-2580295118.html

While we are not naive to think that Carnival Corp, or any other cruise line, will stop calling on Iceland, we as passengers have the ability not to contribute to that economy through port fees and other tourism funds. Truly a sad time for those of us that love the oceans and the majestic creatures that try to inhabit them.

We have sadly just cancelled our much anticipated 2019 voyage on the QV to Iceland and the British Isles. Why? Not because someone might be wearing jeans after 6 pm or the drinks are too expensive- but because of the Iceland government's sanction of restarting whale hunts in and around their waters. For those that are not aware, Iceland plans on slaughtering over 200 fin whales; the hunts began last weekend. Here's just one of many links for more information:

fin-whale-hunting-iceland-2580295118.html

While we are not naive to think that Carnival Corp, or any other cruise line, will stop calling on Iceland, we as passengers have the ability not to contribute to that economy through port fees and other tourism funds. Truly a sad time for those of us that love the oceans and the majestic creatures that try to inhabit them.

This is a complicated issue that you have obviously only superficial or no knowledge of. I recommend you educate yourself on Iceland and Icelanders before publishing such an opinion.

We have to make our own decisions about which countries we are comfortable visiting but I don't expect Cunard to stop visiting Iceland or the other whale hunting countries, Norway & Japan.

Sorry you won't be trying Cunard on this occasion but I hope you find a suitable itinerary in future.

This is a complicated issue that you have obviously only superficial or no knowledge of. I recommend you educate yourself on Iceland and Icelanders before publishing such an opinion.

We have educated ourselves- the vast majority of Icelanders do not eat whale meat, it is served in restaurants for tourists. It is not surprising to be attacked on this forum for posting an opinion on a subject that many people are not aware of.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In general I do agree with you: Whaling is a horrible atrocity and should be stopped. And so should be the killing of every other animal. I've been to Iceland and their whaling nonsense lowers my respect for anything else this island nation does, from gender equality to football. Also, I do find it a sound decision not to go to Iceland because the country starts to suffer from overtourism. Personally I won't return to Iceland for this reason.

Nevertheless you should consider a few things.

Fishing is a very important economy in Iceland. With the exception of greater Reykjavik, Selfoss and Egilsstadir and possibly Akureyri every town on the island depends on it. Without it many settlements wouldn't exist at all. Also, Icelanders are very independent minded people who don't like to be ordered around.

I've seen the whaling fleet in Reykjavik. These are boats who look like they're belonging to the local maritime museum rather than any commercial industry. No young people are joining the industry today, mainly because it has no future. The total number of whales slaughtered is about a 130 animals a year. Have a look at the boats on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Iceland#/media/File:Icelandic_whalers_08.JPG

That said: I do find your statement hypocritical. As you are writing from Florida, you and your nation do take credit for some of the worst water related environmental disasters and wrongdoings in human history. From the Cuyahoga River Fire and the invention of Flags of Convenience, which allow bypassing of naval environmental standards to the particularly moronic withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement. The latter will be putting the entire state of Florida six feet under (water) in the near future.

Do you really think you should be blaming others instead of doing your own homework?

In general I do agree with you: Whaling is a horrible atrocity and should be stopped. And so should be the killing of every other animal. I've been to Iceland and their whaling nonsense lowers my respect for anything else this island nation does, from gender equality to football. Also, I do find it a sound decision not to go to Iceland because the country starts to suffer from overtourism. Personally I won't return to Iceland for this reason.

Nevertheless you should consider a few things.

Fishing is a very important economy in Iceland. With the exception of greater Reykjavik, Selfoss and Egilsstadir and possibly Akureyri every town on the island depends on it. Without it many settlements wouldn't exist at all. Also, Icelanders are very independent minded people who don't like to be ordered around.

I've seen the whaling fleet in Reykjavik. These are boats who look like they're belonging to the local maritime museum rather than any commercial industry. No young people are joining the industry today, mainly because it has no future. The total number of whales slaughtered is about a 130 animals a year. Have a look at the boats on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Iceland#/media/File:Icelandic_whalers_08.JPG

That said: I do find your statement hypocritical. As you are writing from Florida, you and your nation do take credit for some of the worst water related environmental disasters and wrongdoings in human history. From the Cuyahoga River Fire and the invention of Flags of Convenience, which allow bypassing of naval environmental standards to the particularly moronic withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement. The latter will be putting the entire state of Florida six feet under (water) in the near future.

Do you really think you should be blaming others instead of doing your own homework?

And we are equally outraged by the actions you refer to. We are not trying to push our values on anyone, but simply expressed our sadness that we cancelled our cruise because we could not pay port taxes to a place that supports whale hunting. By the way, it looks like you enjoy Cunard- they certainly participate in Flags of Convenience. Is that not hypocritical?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is true but there really is no need for whaling in this day and age. Considering how endangered and low their numbers are. I was saddened this morning to learn that Wyoming is going to allow hunting of grizzlies. The way things are going there won’t be any places to visit or wild animals to marvel at. I’m not preaching or imposing my viewpoint on anyone just explaining how we see it.

Everyone enjoy your travels wherever they take you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You do realise that whaling takes place in the USA? See this link https://iwc.int/alaska. In fact, this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling, suggests that some 300 belugas are slaughtered each year in Alaska.

Whilst I share your abhorrence of whaling, refusing to visit Iceland seems a bit pointless when whaling is taking place in your own country.

• 1 month later...

For the most part there is no justification for whaling these days, even Norway has realised there’s more money made by talking tourists whale watching than serving them up on a plate. I for one think it’s horrific and should be banned out right, I am a nature lover and hate hunting of any kind. It certainly doesn’t encourage me to visit.