Canada/New England on the Maasdam

jlnprt

Just booked our second HAL cruise ... Canada/New England in August. So excited! I'll review the destinations board, too, but does anyone here have recommendations for "must sees".

Just booked our second HAL cruise ... Canada/New England in August. So excited! I'll review the destinations board, too, but does anyone here have recommendations for "must sees".

That depends a lot on what your interests are. Do you like history? Nature? Active things to do? Getting out on the water in a smaller boat?

If you could narrow it down, there are people here who can give you some great ideas.

Just get off the ship in Halifax and Quebec City, our two favorite places, and one can walk about 1/4 mile and enjoy museums, many shops, great restaurants and very appreciative residents. Never did any excursions in these two cities.

I have a lot of simple pleasures and others will have other options.

My must dos:

Quebec: Ride the Funicular to Upper Town and take a walk along the Dufferin Terrace. A trip out to Montmorency Falls and St. Anne de Beaupre in almost always on the itinerary -- you can arrange tours either through the ship or at the Tourist Information Centre on Place d'Armes.

Charlottetown: Fish & Chips lunch in town and a wander through the historic area or a ship-based tour that includes a Lobster Lunch at the Prince Edward Island Preserve Company -- their restaurant is excellent and being able to pick up some preserves and tea is just a bonus.

Halifax: Lobster Lunch, a visit to the Maritime Museum and Historic Properties, as well as some shopping and a walk along the waterfront boardwalk.

Sydney: HAL had a wonderful waking tour that included a stop with Oatcakes & Tea made by the Church Ladies' Society. But it's also just a nice little town to wander along the main street; close enough to walk from the pier.

Bar Harbor: Lobster Lunch and a wander through the tourist shopping area of the city. There is area shop that has lovely blends and we always stop to get Fudge at one of Jordan Pond's stores in town and enjoy a couple of pieces in the park, looking out over the Porcupine Islands.

Boston: Depending on the cost of the shuttle into town, we'll wander through Quincy Market and the surrounding areas and have lunch ashore. But if the shuttle is not offered or too expensive (sorry Boston, $20 each way is far too much!) we'll just spend the day on the ship watching the planes and the ship traffic -- and maybe considering tossing some tea into the harbor, HaHa.

Newport: A wander through the town; there is a beautiful church with an intact wine-glass pulpit not far from the tender pier and it's just a nice town for walking. If you haven't been on a Cliff Walk tour, it's well wroth it and visiting one of the "cottages" is interesting and informative about how the other half lived in the Gilded Age.

We try to make at least one visit to a Tim Horton's in Canada for Tim Bits and a Double Double, but that's just a silly family tradition.

That depends a lot on what your interests are. Do you like history? Nature? Active things to do? Getting out on the water in a smaller boat?

If you could narrow it down, there are people here who can give you some great ideas.

An excellent point! History and nature are definitely top on the list. Active is good, too. Smaller boats ... not so much of a priority.

An excellent point! History and nature are definitely top on the list. Active is good, too. Smaller boats ... not so much of a priority.

Definitely think about the Maritime Museum in Halifax. There are excellent exhibits on the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion, which I did not know anything about until I visited the museum.

Lots of good walking and history options, and many DIY options in each port: only a few of the highlights off the top of my head, lots more

Which stop had that great shoe store a few blocks from the ship - slightly uphill? It must be famous as it was loaded with cruise passengers and they had a huge selection of very nice name brand shoes.

SYDNEY: a coal mine tour; or Fort Louisburg tour - are must see's for history in this area. Fort Louisburg is stunning; coal mine tour can be strenuous since you have to bend a lot, just like the miners did, but unlike anything you will find elsewhere, really a first rate tour

CHARLOTTETOWN PEI - Any tour to the House of Green Gables is worth it just for the gorgeous countryside and walks through the very serene woods - all the more interesting if you have read the book, but not necessary - just charming, also in the town itself is where the federation of Canada was founded - lovely buildings, very low key town.

QUEBEC: poutine at Chez Ashton - (chips, curds and gravy) - is very delicious, when you get the real deal -this is the place, lines to take the elevator to the upper town can be quite long if you are sharing port with another ship. Otherwise it is a slow, uphill winding road to the top unless you arrange some other transportation.

BAR HARBOR - check the timing of the tides and you can walk out to the island and back from near the tender landing - wander around the trails; also walk the trail along the waterfront "cottages" to the left of the tender landing, Chowder at the East Street Cafe is our favorite, Cadillac Mountain and Acadia National Park tour if you want to go further afield. Fell in love with the Maple Balsamic Salad Dressing we found in Bar Harbor and learned we can also get it in California at Gelson's.

HALIFAX: we did the tour to Luneberg on our first visit and the wind prevented our docking on the second visit so we have missed the city of Halifax completely - to our great regret - it is a very interesting city for walking and history - we got a separate lecture about the Great Halifax Explosion for this extra at-sea day we did not expect to get - one of the most tragic events any city should ever have to experience.

This is a wonderful itinerary - low key, accessible, friendly local attractions, with and lots to see, taste and enjoy.

HALIFAX: we did the tour to Luneberg on our first visit and the wind prevented our docking on the second visit so we have missed the city of Halifax completely - to our great regret - it is a very interesting city for walking and history - we got a separate lecture about the Great Halifax Explosion for this extra at-sea day we did not expect to get - one of the most tragic events any city should ever have to experience.

We've had some really good lectures on this itinerary - one on the Crippen case, another on other shipwrecks long the St. Lawrence. I'm really sorry HAL has by and large discontinued the lectures and local entertainment coming on board during cruises on this itinerary.

We've had some really good lectures on this itinerary - one on the Crippen case, another on other shipwrecks long the St. Lawrence. I'm really sorry HAL has by and large discontinued the lectures and local entertainment coming on board during cruises on this itinerary.

Oh, wow! Dh and I would so enjoy that kind of lecture. Should have started cruising years ago!!

This area is chock full of early Colonial history, so you have a lot to choose from.

In Quebec City, you can go up to the Plains of Abraham and see how the British scaled the heights to defeat the French in the French & Indian War. Quite a feat.

While you are up there, stop by the Chateau Frontenac to check out the lush splendor.

Walk around the old city, and get a real taste of French culture.

Charlottetown is the place where modern Canada came together. Read up on that, and perhaps rent a car to see some of the important places. While driving around, you can see some of the rugged coast, and the red soil.

In Sydney, head out to Ft. Louisburg for a taste of early colonial life.

Halifax has three cemeteries where victims of the Titanic are buried. The Protestant cemetery has the most graves, and the area is arranged as the bow of a ship, with a large tear in it.

The Maritime Museum has artifacts of the Titanic. You can also learn about the explosion that destroyed part of the City. Very interesting.

Stop by the Citadel, or head out to the public gardens.

In Bar Harbor, you can take Ollie's Trolley tour into Acadia Park. Or get a car to take you, and you can hike through some rugged natural areas not too far from civilization.

Personally, I like the whale watching tours there.

Boston is home to loads of Colonial American History. Take some time to head out to see Old Ironsides, Bunker Hill, or head to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

Or, if the team is in town, head to a MLB game. There is too much to see/do for just one day, so choose wisely.

Hope some of these ideas help.

Just get off the ship in Halifax and Quebec City, our two favorite places, and one can walk about 1/4 mile and enjoy museums, many shops, great restaurants and very appreciative residents. Never did any excursions in these two cities.

The Mara time museum in Halifax is very worth the short ten -15 minute walk fromm where the ship docks.The have much memorabilia from the Titanic and a really good collection of ships' bells. Leave the terminl nd wlk down the boardwalk along the water . A lovely and brief walk.

Quebec City is said to be among the most European like cities in North America and is charming. Very beautifuul to stroll and stop for a great lunch.

The Mari time museum in Halifax is very worth the short ten -15 minute walk from where the ship docks.They have much memorabilia from the Titanic and a really good collection of ships' bells. Leave the terminal and walk down the boardwalk along the water . A lovely and brief walk. Quebec City is said to be among the most European like cities in North America and is charming. Very beautifuul to stroll and stop for a great lunch.

I f you'd like to do a smaller boat in Bar Harbor, check out the Margaret Todd............ She takes out lots of cruisers.

shoe store sounds like Halifax, there was a lovely book shop and a davids teas on the same street but its been a few years since we were in Halifax

No, the shoe store was not in Halifax - mainly because we never got to visit that city. It was a very small port town and was a few blocks up hill from the dock area. Getting my small port towns in this area mixed up. Don't think it was the one with the large fiddle, (????) We hit it again on the Voyage of the Vikings, as well as the Veendam New England Canada - I'll have to check my photos.

No, the shoe store was not in Halifax - mainly because we never got to visit that city. It was a very small port town and was a few blocks up hill from the dock area. Getting my small port towns in this area mixed up. Don't think it was the one with the large fiddle, (????) We hit it again on the Voyage of the Vikings, as well as the Veendam New England Canada - I'll have to check my photos.

Might it be Charlottetown, in PEI ?

If you like them,,,,,,,,,,, musels for lunch in PEI are a must, they are said to t be about the best anhywhere.

We never missed the chagce to have a buckgt of them for lunch ;)

Edited by sail7seas

Sydney (large fiddle) and Halifax are the only two ports in common with the Voyage of the Vikings. Both have David's Teas, but the one in Sydney is quite a way from the cruise terminal, not within walking distance. The one on Spring Garden Road in Halifax seems to fit all the descriptors, other than the fact you never got to visit. Curious.

Sydney (large fiddle) and Halifax are the only two ports in common with the Voyage of the Vikings. Both have David's Teas, but the one in Sydney is quite a way from the cruise terminal, not within walking distance. The one on Spring Garden Road in Halifax seems to fit all the descriptors, other than the fact you never got to visit. Curious.

My guess it was Sydney then. Sooooo ...be sure to visit the great shoe store in Sydney.

Here it is: The Shoe Tree in downtown Sydney - thanks for helping me narrow it down: http://www.riekerbytheshoetree.com

For hjose with no mobility issues, the walk from the giant fiddle to downtown, is very short and easy. Follow the fiddles on lamp posts...... they line the' route'. :)

We will be on that cruise as well. I am so looking forward to it! Being a huge Anne of Green Gables fan, we've booked the Ultimate Anne experience in Charlottetown. Also looking forward to kayaking in Bar Harbor. As we've visited Boston numerous times, we will probably get off & just do a little walking there.

For hjose with no mobility issues, the walk from the giant fiddle to downtown, is very short and easy. Follow the fiddles on lamp posts...... they line the' route'. :)

Yes, I know it well, having been in Sydney many times on business as well as pleasure, including on a cruise in 2015. David's Teas is currently located at the Mayflower Mall, out by Grand Lake on the outskirts of Sydney, well over an hour's walk one way. It may have been located downtown on Charlotte Street in the past, but there's a fairly rapid turnover of businesses in the area.

Yes, I know it well, having been in Sydney many times on business as well as pleasure, including on a cruise in 2015. David's Teas is currently located at the Mayflower Mall, out by Grand Lake on the outskirts of Sydney, well over an hour's walk one way. It may have been located downtown on Charlotte Street in the past, but there's a fairly rapid turnover of businesses in the area.

Website shows The Shoe Tree is still located in downtown - a short walk from the ship, but it is slightly uphill.

Website shows The Shoe Tree is still located in downtown - a short walk from the ship, but it is slightly uphill.

Yes, the Shoe Tree is still there. Walked by it last year, although I don't remember it specifically.