Thoughts about Maasdam cabins BA220 and BA205

We're thinking about booking a cruise on the Maasdam and saw that cabins 205 and 220 in the aft appeared to have somewhat of a wrap around balcony. However, the deck plan appears to show that these veranda cabins are smaller than other verandas. For those that have stayed in either cabin, did you enjoy the balcony and was the cabin smaller or pretty much the same size as other verandas on the Maasdam?

We have 205 booked on the Maasdam for the upcoming Kontiki Voyager cruise. Reports online have been good about this location and no mention of it being a smaller space over all.

The extra aft balcony space looks larger on the Verandah deck than a similar layout on the Navigation deck on the recent Zaandam (I know this is not the same ship class) which also had two decks of these same types of cabins available.

My concern right now is how much overhang and shade space does it have since the back part of the extra deck looks exposed. We are hitting some hot areas following the equator on this cruise so that would be my only concern. I will take detailed notes and report back.

But on the other hand, maybe this special cabin should just be kept a closely guarded secret. You think?

We have 205 booked on the Maasdam for the upcoming Kontiki Voyager cruise. Reports online have been good about this location and no mention of it being a smaller space over all.

The extra aft balcony space looks larger on the Verandah deck than a similar layout on the Navigation deck on the recent Zaandam (I know this is not the same ship class) which also had two decks of these same types of cabins available.

My concern right now is how much overhang and shade space does it have since the back part of the extra deck looks exposed. We are hitting some hot areas following the equator on this cruise so that would be my only concern. I will take detailed notes and report back.

But on the other hand, maybe this special cabin should just be kept a closely guarded secret. You think?

On the negative side, though, you have the pool deck as well as a smoking area above which could be an issue like some folks mentioned in an earlier post. Also, when we were on the Zaandam the back door was right there (as is the case here) and it would close pretty hard and be quite noisy. In fact when we would go to the back deck, we would wonder if that was a big nuisance for the folks in those two rooms, especially if folks were going in and out all the time. Of course, they are also on the far back which means it could be quite a ride during rough seas.

So, maybe the little extra bit of balcony may not be worth it compared to a cabin at the same price that's more center with cabins above and below, a quiet hallway, and a more shady balcony.

On the negative side, though, you have the pool deck as well as a smoking area above which could be an issue like some folks mentioned in an earlier post. Also, when we were on the Zaandam the back door was right there (as is the case here) and it would close pretty hard and be quite noisy. In fact when we would go to the back deck, we would wonder if that was a big nuisance for the folks in those two rooms, especially if folks were going in and out all the time. Of course, they are also on the far back which means it could be quite a ride during rough seas.

So, maybe the little extra bit of balcony may not be worth it compared to a cabin at the same price that's more center with cabins above and below, a quiet hallway, and a more shady balcony.

We were right under the pool deck and smoking deck on our last Zaandam and there were no problems with either - about three doors down from the aft deck entrance. Even though it was Alaska, the aft Lido deck did get some use even some occasional sun-bathing.

Yes, door banging can be an issue and there were signs posted asking this be done quietly, but it seemed that affected the middle ocean view cabins located at the very aft end more than these aft end verandahs- which are more sound insulated by the closets and the bathrooms and the aft door corridor. Plus there is still the Navigation deck between Verandah deck 205 and the pool-deck area too on the Maasdam.. Online reports about these cabins made no mention about noise and in fact specifically stated they were very quiet.

We were right under the pool deck and smoking deck on our last Zaandam and there were no problems with either - about three doors down from the aft deck entrance. Even though it was Alaska, the aft Lido deck did get some use even some occasional sun-bathing.

Yes, door banging can be an issue and there were signs posted asking this be done quietly, but it seemed that affected the middle ocean view cabins located at the very aft end more than these aft end verandahs- which are more sound insulated by the closets and the bathrooms and the aft door corridor. Plus there is still the Navigation deck between Verandah deck 205 and the pool-deck area too on the Maasdam.. Online reports about these cabins made no mention about noise and in fact specifically stated they were very quiet.

That's good to know. Maybe we will give them a try. Thanks OlsSalt!

We're thinking about booking a cruise on the Maasdam and saw that cabins 205 and 220 in the aft appeared to have somewhat of a wrap around balcony. However, the deck plan appears to show that these veranda cabins are smaller than other verandas. For those that have stayed in either cabin, did you enjoy the balcony and was the cabin smaller or pretty much the same size as other verandas on the Maasdam?

Ken, We were in 205 on a cruise from Auckland NZ to Sydney in January. The deck plans do not show the cabin layout very well. It is the same size as the other cabins. The balcony is twice the length of a normal cabin balcony; you can see to the port, to the aft and to the starboard. No noise from above. I usually try to book aft cabins with wrap around balconies. While it does not wrap-a-round, the view is as good if not better. This one sure fit the bill. I would book it again. Enjoy your cruise.

Have stayed in both 205 and 220. Double width balconies with privacy and cover on half. Some noise from slamming doors going outside but the extra space is worth it. We especially enjoyed 220 on VOV years ago.

• 1 month later...

Intrigued by unusual rooms (e.g. Volendam 7086), I got these photos on Maasdam of the deck near 220. Taken July 2018. If you want to chat with someone on the nearby public deck, they had better have narrow hips. One pic at a time. 3146b00a0d190f996642e08ce2b6b76c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums