Dining near the Sylvia Hotel in Vancouver

1kiss2hugs

Hubby & I stayed at the Sylvia before a cruise in 2013 and came across an amazing little fish & chip spot. I've been searching for it with no luck. Any Vancouver experts know the one I am talking about, or know if it's still open? Open to new recommendations in the area. Cruising in October & booked at the Sylvia pre cruise again ☺ thank you

Sent from my SM-T377W using Forums mobile app

Hubby & I stayed at the Sylvia before a cruise in 2013 and came across an amazing little fish & chip spot. I've been searching for it with no luck. Any Vancouver experts know the one I am talking about, or know if it's still open? Open to new recommendations in the area. Cruising in October & booked at the Sylvia pre cruise again ☺ thank you

Hmmm - Raincity Grill was certainly close and did very well-rated fish & chips (closed in 2014, though I recall a real downturn in quality over that last year or so) but it was pretty big. I can't think of any good F&C-focused spots, let alone little ones, around the main foodie area nearest the Sylvia (Denman & Davie) - there's another large resto, Boathouse, which has been there plenty long enough and does do a lot of seafood (though I don't think they've ever been even close to really good in terms of food, they are busy because their location is great). They're the one with two levels, upstairs & down in case that rings a bell for you. A couple of pubs also do F&C close by - Three Brits (previously 'The Calling' - changed name in 2014 IIRC) and Shamrock Alley which have F&C on the menu - but again, far from stellar food.

If you can recall any more details - other restos or stores nearby, any street names you walked along or past, a ballpark distance/walk time from the hotel - I'd have a better chance of figuring it out for you. In terms of finding good F&C near the Sylvia these days, you could do a lot worse than trying Hook, which is doing a pretty good job so far of balancing 'fancy food' with simple stuff. Their F&C is genuinely interesting - they use pickles IN the batter to give it some zip without needing tartare sauce, vinegar etc.

The small, 'mom & pop' spots around that intersection are falafel, kebaby type places that change to more Asian eateries as you move north up Denman, rather than F&C spots. Since the Fish Shack on Granville closed, I'd be inclined to send you over to Granville Island (easily reached via False Creek Ferry) to hit up the Fish Counter if it's just a simple, good F&C you want rather than a fancier sit-down affair.

Edit - ooh, or Go Fish which is just off the 'island' proper, near the fishing boats (and seals). Basically a shack though, so really just good on nice dry days where your D&C won't get rained on;-)

Edited by martincath

Mr. Pickwick's used to have a Denman location, 4 blocks from Sylvia.

Good catch on that one xlxo - I could have sworn that Pickwicks died before 2013.

OP - please also ignore reference to the Fish Counter in my prior post. I was thinking of Go Fish when I first wrote the post, but used the name of the Fish Counter (which is an excellent venue but it's over on my side of town, way too far up Main to be useful to you!) - how I managed to remember the actual name in time to edit the post, but not realize I should just change the name...? That I'll just have to chalk up to a total brain-fart.

Good catch on that one xlxo - I could have sworn that Pickwicks died before 2013.

OP - please also ignore reference to the Fish Counter in my prior post. I was thinking of Go Fish when I first wrote the post, but used the name of the Fish Counter (which is an excellent venue but it's over on my side of town, way too far up Main to be useful to you!) - how I managed to remember the actual name in time to edit the post, but not realize I should just change the name...? That I'll just have to chalk up to a total brain-fart.

Haha no worries. Thank you for all the info ☺

Sent from my SM-T377W using Forums mobile app