Trollfjord vs Lofoten

SAZ3

My friend & I are in the early stages of planning a coastal Norway Cruise for fall/winter 2019-2020 and are considering these 2 ships.

I lean toward the Lofoten, the intimacy & charm of an older smaller ship draws me, but the astronomy cruise with a lecturer on the Trollfjord is also very appealing. I'll want to learn about the beautiful things I will see. (Though whether I learn from a formal lecture or friendly conversation with fellow passengers & crew doesn't really matter)

I wonder what kinds of experiences people have had. What makes you prefer one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

My friend & I are in the early stages of planning a coastal Norway Cruise for fall/winter 2019-2020 and are considering these 2 ships.

I lean toward the Lofoten, the intimacy & charm of an older smaller ship draws me, but the astronomy cruise with a lecturer on the Trollfjord is also very appealing. I'll want to learn about the beautiful things I will see. (Though whether I learn from a formal lecture or friendly conversation with fellow passengers & crew doesn't really matter)

I wonder what kinds of experiences people have had. What makes you prefer one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

We loved the Trollfjord, which is one of the newer ships. We especially enjoyed the two-level observation lounge up front, and those huge views.

SarniaLo will hopefully check in here soon. I think she really likes the Lofoten.

It's definitely a very different type of ship, and is missing some amenities, so just double check that in case any are important for you.

It actually could be fun. We were *very* surprised with how much we enjoyed Hurtigruten, so perhaps we'd really enjoy the older ship, too.

(But I think there is no elevator (??), and if so, that's a deal-breaker for us, unfortunately.)

We did do the Astronomy cruise this past March, and it was very nice, in good part because of the lecturer (Mason; we have no info about the other person who alternates).

GC

I do really like the Lofoten! ;)

I have travelled on both ships (but a lot more on Lofoten). They are pretty much polar opposite, and each probably will appeal to different people, so it's important to know what you are looking for, what are for you the "must" and the acceptable compromises.

Lofoten is old and small. The cabins are small, the lounges are small. She definitely retained her coziness and "old-world" charm. For me she's a ship with a soul. She doesn't have stabilizers so can rock and roll quite a lot in heavy seas (but she's a very seaworthy ship). As she's now the oldest ship on the line, she has some fans who travel frequently and there is quite the "family" feel on board. On the other hand she attracts more and more people and the public spaces can become crowded.

Trollfjord is one of the newest and biggest ship of the fleet and has more of a "cruise ship" feel, with more "bling" in the decor. She is a lot more spacious and comfortable with larger cabin and vast public spaces, so all in all although there are much more people on board she doesn't feel crowded. She is stabilized in rough seas. She has lifts for one deck to the other (while Lofoten only has stairs so not good for mobility-impaired people). However you don't have the feeling as much to be on a working ship, contrarily to Lofoten with her crane to load/unload cargo.

All in all I would say that if you travel with Lofoten, it's as much for the ship than for the journey itself. So I think shes more suited to people with interests in all things maritime and history and a little bit of quirk. If you travel with Trollfjord, the ship's purpose is to offer you the maximum comfort during the journey. So she's more suited to people who are looking for a certain level of comfort but consider the ship mostly as a mean of transport, who are mostly looking forward to the journey itself, the landscape and the cities and don't want the ship to "interfere" in the experience but make it easier..

So there is no bad choice as long as you know what you like and what you are looking for.

• Thanks 1

I do really like the Lofoten! ;)

I have travelled on both ships (but a lot more on Lofoten). They are pretty much polar opposite, and each probably will appeal to different people, so it's important to know what you are looking for, what are for you the "must" and the acceptable compromises.

Lofoten is old and small. The cabins are small, the lounges are small. She definitely retained her coziness and "old-world" charm. For me she's a ship with a soul. She doesn't have stabilizers so can rock and roll quite a lot in heavy seas (but she's a very seaworthy ship). As she's now the oldest ship on the line, she has some fans who travel frequently and there is quite the "family" feel on board. On the other hand she attracts more and more people and the public spaces can become crowded.

Trollfjord is one of the newest and biggest ship of the fleet and has more of a "cruise ship" feel, with more "bling" in the decor. She is a lot more spacious and comfortable with larger cabin and vast public spaces, so all in all although there are much more people on board she doesn't feel crowded. She is stabilized in rough seas. She has lifts for one deck to the other (while Lofoten only has stairs so not good for mobility-impaired people). However you don't have the feeling as much to be on a working ship, contrarily to Lofoten with her crane to load/unload cargo.

All in all I would say that if you travel with Lofoten, it's as much for the ship than for the journey itself. So I think shes more suited to people with interests in all things maritime and history and a little bit of quirk. If you travel with Trollfjord, the ship's purpose is to offer you the maximum comfort during the journey. So she's more suited to people who are looking for a certain level of comfort but consider the ship mostly as a mean of transport, who are mostly looking forward to the journey itself, the landscape and the cities and don't want the ship to "interfere" in the experience but make it easier..

So there is no bad choice as long as you know what you like and what you are looking for.

Oh thank you!! It is good to know I am more likely to feel crowded on the smaller ship (Though we are going in winter so likely it is less crowded, I would think)

I will double check the amenities, I can't think of any deal breakers but it is possible I am assuming something.

I do think Lofoten might be for me, this trip will include much time on the ship so it might as well be a ship that is interesting & has a life, story & personality of her own. But if I cannot find a quiet space to enjoy a good book, we might have an issue. I think the deal breaker for me is the availability if quiet space & good coffee.

Perhaps the answer is one of the cabins where the bunk becomes a sofa so if I want quiet I can go there & read or write.

How is the coffee?

You will find quiet space for sure on MS Lofoten. It's can be complicated to find quiet with a great view, but there are always quiet spaces. Unless I'm mistaken most cabins (at least outside ones) have a fold-up bed that double as a sofa. The inside cabins with share amenities don't have this.

Unfortunately I find the coffee on board Hurtigruten terrible (regardless of the ship, so that is not a choice item). I like italian-style strong coffee shots and they have more washed-out brown beverage. It keeps you warm though! ;p

I do think you could be in the right frame of mind to appreciate MS Lofoten. She's quite the lady.

• 4 weeks later...
What a wonderful way to spend the holiday!

Will you be there for New Year's also?

RT or one way?

Enjoy! :)

GC

No, just Christmas. I'll actually end the cruise the day after Christmas in Kirkenes and then spend a few days there before I fly back to Olso.

Who is the Astronomer with your group?

We would so much like to go back. The scenery was just stunning the entire time.

GC

John Mason is the Astronomer, you told me about him in your report and a few other times.

John Mason is the Astronomer, you told me about him in your report and a few other times.

Oh, good.

Now, we don't know anything about the other Astronomer who alternates, but yes, Dr. Mason was *terrific*.

His enthusiasm was... amazing!

Are you doing the RT?

Enjoy!

GC

I’ll let you know what I think of the Trollfjord, I will begin my trip next Wednesday for the Astronomy Cruise.

We eagerly await the account of your Trollfjord experience - we board her on November 16th for the RT.

Do have a wonderful voyage!

We eagerly await the account of your Trollfjord experience - we board her on November 16th for the RT.

Do have a wonderful voyage!

Thank you! I will let you know, hopefully my internet connection will be working well.