Crystal lack of customer service ..shame on you!!

Happy2trvl

Sailing on Debussy out of Basel Sept 16. Spoke to my agent yesterday asking about any news from Crystal...received a general statement without any information. Sent an email to head office in Los Angeles asking what they did on our itinerary this past week, no response. Called the Amsterdam office today asking what itinerary changes have been made this week assuming conditions will be the same or deteriorating and was told “of course there will be changes”. I again asked ..using the last couple of weeks as historical data what can I assume to experience. I was asked by the crystal representative how I got this number. He was extremely rude, would not allow me to finish asking my questions, told me to call Los Angles. Asked several times what can I expect for Sunday on, and in different wording said yes there will be changes. I asked for his name and he would not give to me, nor would he give me any information. What is this???? I understand this is a difficult situation for ALL concerned, company, employees, and let’s not forget CLIENTS! Come on Crystal, I expect communication....

Happy2trvl,

I understand your frustration. It being still five days out before your cruise is due to start I can understand the company not giving - or not being able to give - you more information. But you are obviously also disappointment by manner and tone of voice. That sounds certainly not customer-friendly, leaving a bad impression.

The Crystal Debussy left Boppard this morning and is on her way to Basel, scheduled to arrive on the 15th. Sounds good. Track her here: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5452043/vessel:CRYSTAL%20DEBUSSY

As no river level tentative prediction is given more than seven days in advance Crystal sure cannot tell you of definite changes if they plan to decide at short notice as regards what needs to be done concerning sailing through the Rhine gorge. If changes are made regardless of what the prediction says now of what will be five days then they could of course inform you.

To be honest, the prediction at Maxau south of the Rhine gorge, you could be there on day three or four of your cruise, is the one that goes furthest into the future and it looks a bit shaky as regards sailing as it is predicted - not forecast - to fall. I am not saying not sailing but the traffic could well be slowed down again. To be precise: a fall, a rise, a fall and in six days time we will end up with less water than we had two days ago. The prediction is adjusted at least once a day.

It is very warm here and not raining so it does not look too brilliant but this can change in four days time still. I have talked of Maxau, but the more important station is at Kaub. Yet there a long prediction is not available. The forecast for Kaub is for slightly falling levels that could get us close to the all important marker for the navigation channel (78cm) in four days time.

I probably have not been able to calm your nerves, but thought that perhaps my detailed explanation of the situation could be helpful in any way.

Do phone "Los Angeles", is that an office perhaps?, and keep trying to get some answers if you feel you cannot just go with whatever the situation will bring closer to the date. That is very understandable.

I would be nervous if I had a plane to catch, organize a dog-sitter, or deal with friends as fellow passengers or pre-cruise arrangements, or whatever you have to do. I found it bad enough in 2013 sitting on the train that was delayed, making me worry I might not get my connecting train and miss the boat...

Have a safe and pleasant trip.

notamermaid

Happy, join the growing list of Crystal cruisers who experienced similar situations. The European office has alot of catching up before it can call itself 6 star. We are home a week from our first (and last) Crystal River cruise. Communication between the corporate office and passengers is non existent. We had 2 significant changes in the itinerary, one communicated in advance and the other change was made known after we boarded. We lost $ with prearranged tours. Passengers were never picked up at the Frankfurt airport, prearranged tours never took place, no cruise representative at the precise hotel; I will stop here.

I contacted the River cruise Butler on several occasions prior to departing. They were most polite and totally clueless pushing passengers to write the customer service team who in turn send back an email saying that the cruise has been changed and you will enjoy the cruise. Got to love those Crystal Balls. Crystal's excuse is that they are new to river cruising.

Many new passengers on our cruise; most expressed negative views of Crystal and will not be moving forward with the line. River cruising is exploding and many high end companies are offering competitive products.

We understand the difficulties and understand they have contingency plans, but without their honesty in communicating their intentions, we feel like we have been involved in a time share plan, with us putting forward a large investment at stake. Crystal, you have been very dishonest and not forthright in explaining what we are to expect. If you hide the travel plans moving forward how do we trust you. You have have at minimum a month at this situation. Shame on your lack of integrity!

Again agree with the other person who was honest, and shared their experience...where’s the Crystal in this line...certainly not in communication, that’s for sure.

John where are your statements now??? Walmart has better customer service. Again, as my Granthmother used to say...shame on you...and apparently on me for booking Crystal.

We have sailed and traveled with many and will not be repeating this experience. I believe LA Times are our next COMMUNTICATION!!!!

Edited by Happy2trvl

Happy, all I can say is that I wish we knew ahead of time how appalling Crystal's communications are. Even for an average line it would be bad, but for a self-appointed "six star" line it is beyond belief. We do feel like we paid for an experience that was not delivered, and despite emails and our survey complaints, no communication or specific apologies to us. It felt to us that Crystal is cutting their losses by moving on from passengers like us, ones with bad experiences. Hard to fathom, that's for sure.

Happy, all I can say is that I wish we knew ahead of time how appalling Crystal's communications are. Even for an average line it would be bad, but for a self-appointed "six star" line it is beyond belief. We do feel like we paid for an experience that was not delivered, and despite emails and our survey complaints, no communication or specific apologies to us. It felt to us that Crystal is cutting their losses by moving on from passengers like us, ones with bad experiences. Hard to fathom, that's for sure.

I was hoping that the current CEO would provide better leadership than the last one, but if anything, I think it's worse. I am a long time Crystal cruiser (11 years, over 30 cruises) and had some unsatisfactory experiences on my August cruise on the Symphony. I was very straight forward about my disappointment on my post cruise review. Haven't heard a word from them, although I have a feeling my complaints were far from the only ones they got from cruisers on that specific cruise based on what I heard while on board.

Happy2trvl - Hoping all goes well with your sailing this weekend. Please post your experiences when you return if you can.

Shoeman - aside from the communication and water level issues you experienced - how was the ship itself - food, staff, etc? As you can see from the boards, water level issues affected all lines - some lines handling the situations better then others and while there is no excuse for lack of communication and information from a line - hopefully Crystal will learn from this challenging season. It's interesting because prior reviews (before the summer sailings) were so positive for their ships...which is why I am curious what your experience was. A colleague of my wife sailed in August on Viking and when asked how her river cruise was - she corrected my wife and said you mean my bus tour!

i think there are three components to the issue -

River conditions. Completely out of any lines control. They probably have no idea until a day or two ahead of time if they can sail the itinerary and then adjust. Evidently Viking can adjust "easier" since they have enough ships that they can swap at choke-points. Most others since they don't have that many ships to use. We sailed Crystal Debussy in early July and had to leave 3 hours early from Basel due to scheduling at the first lock. The remainder of the cruise was perfect

Communications. They could be better, but what are they going to say besides "We don't know?" They can only say that so many different ways when people call all the time. I understand the go/no go aspect of flying from the USA for but they arent going to say anything they unsure of

On the ground. They seem to not have the resources in place for this yet - especially when things go south

tfred

Totally agree with your comments.

Viking and AMA can swap passengers from ship to ship along the rivers.

Crystal with far fewer ships does not have that option - and cannot fault them for saying nothing versus mis-information.

As I said to my wife last night - river cruises in Europe in the summer (and spring) are like sailing the Caribbean in late August thru October. All are so subject to disruptions due to weather conditions. How cruise lines handle low / high water, hurricanes and storms is the subject of many posts on ALL the lines boards.

Totally agree that they do not have a crystal ball on weather from day to day. What they CAN share, due to lack of ship swap availability, is to share what they Have done the last week or two. I am confident that has not changed, so sharing that info with future cruisers should not be a big deal. Really not sure ... if you don’t have a bus tour to hide, why not be honest. They do have insurance for such situations, considering they are Nippon Yusen Kaisha (NYK) owned.

Why not be honest with those that pay their salaries, and save face. We are all in it together.

Communications. They could be better, but what are they going to say besides "We don't know?" They can only say that so many different ways when people call all the time. I understand the go/no go aspect of flying from the USA for but they arent going to say anything they unsure of

tfred:

In what we experienced the communications were the worst part of it, and could have been avoided. To us it was poor customer service by Crystal - we've had rescheduling issues on other cruises/other lines, and none handled it as poorly as Crystal:

- Crystal could have said (as they are starting to) that rerouting due to weather could happen - at least it would have started putting us in the right mindset. They could have told us that a few weeks ahead.

- The one and only communication we received left out a lot of important information, like whether excursions would be provided, if any consideration was being given to passengers who already booked personal excursions, or a point contact to reach out to for questions (rather than the 45 minute - 90 minutes on hold our TA had to deal with).

- No consistent policy on refunds or "apology credit". I'm still shocked that they gave us (minor) onboard credits, then took them away. Giving an apology then taking it back has nothing to do with low water in the river, it has to do with internal chaos and losing sight of the message sent to customers. Classless.

- In the one and only email we received they said we would receive $250 future cruise credit. We've asked about it and no one seems able to confirm if we are getting it, and if so how to use it (do we just reference the line in that one email?)

- We emailed "riverbutler" with the questions a week before; they acknowledged the email, said they would respond, then never did.

For a line that claims to be "six star", we were very disappointed with their communications and to your point, we felt there was a lot more they could have said than just "we don't know". And to that, when we got onboard a few of the crew told us they knew weeks before this rerouting was going to happen. Made us feel even more "kept in the dark". My suspicion is that there was some internal chaos (personnel changes or similar) on top of the weather issues that made Crystal's customer service so poor.

Edited by johng75370
typo

Totally agree that they do not have a crystal ball on weather from day to day. What they CAN share, due to lack of ship swap availability, is to share what they Have done the last week or two. I am confident that has not changed, so sharing that info with future cruisers should not be a big deal. Really not sure ... if you don’t have a bus tour to hide, why not be honest. They do have insurance for such situations, considering they are Nippon Yusen Kaisha (NYK) owned.

Why not be honest with those that pay their salaries, and save face. We are all in it together.

NYK sold all of Crystal to Genting Hong Kong several years ago. Almost all of the expansion has happened under Genting.

Hapy, a few observations, Food: Breakfast Lunch are similar in taste and presentation to Crystal Ocean, just on smaller scale. Fresh fruit, delicious pastries, multiple salads and hot entrees abound. Wine selections were good, and if you did not like today's choice the sommlier was glad to bring your selection. Palm Court served mixed drinks, and wine, all prepared to your liking. The Bistro was a smaller version of the Ocean room. Dinners, well a mixed bag from heavy soups, unusual combinations, and some hits and misses. Lobster was the best we have experienced at sea, and that is saying alot after 30+ cruises. Poultry was hard/dry and fish was surprisingly ill prepared. Example, a delicious veal tenderloin was paired with an overpowering porcini risotto. Lunch desserts were terrific, dinner choices need to be thrown out (Kolsch beer mousse? ) We just completed a Uniworld River cruise and felt that every aspect of Crystal ran circles around the food now offered by Uniworld though. Uniworld cuisine went from delicious to barely passable, all in one year.

Service, typical Crystal with staff going stopping their work when you walked by. Very provincial IMHO. Butler and maid for every suite, and suites are well appointed. A few mistakes were made and you can read about those in the review section of CC

Tours, We had good guides. The tours are not as advertised so be aware that a tour advertised as having little walking can turn into 3 hours of walking.

At the end of the day Crystal positions itself as the best on the River; they have a long way to go for that title. I agree with John that the paltry $250 thrown at us is poor compensation. I doubt if many passengers will return to Crystal. There are many options now in this market that provide a far better and more organized experience. Passengers should realize that for the same per diem (1000) per day per couple one can find a 5 star hotel, terrific meals/liquor and one on one guides.

Glad to answer any questions

With Genting posting a 2017 loss of $244M and a 2016 loss of $504M, it could be that they are trying hard to cut back where they can. Maybe "extra" staff to manage communications and staff the phones are one of the ways they are trying to (pardon the pun) stay afloat while in the midst of expansion into river, yacht, and air "cruising". While they don't seem to be building new ocean ships, two of the three expansion areas are coming with newly built ships that cost a lot.

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

Thank you for bringing your experience with Crystal’s representatives to our attention. While uncertain conditions in Europe’s rivers and the potential changes to our guests’ planned itineraries are understandably causing concerns for travelers and Crystal teams alike, it is always our policy to address each guest with the utmost care and respect.

We assure you that providing genuine and personalized service aboard every Crystal ship and in every Crystal office around the world remains our first priority. We are addressing the concerns that some of you have shared with our teams and will take the appropriate actions to correct this promptly.

Additionally, we would like to share with you our philosophy of dealing with this extreme weather situation. As it relates to changes in the itinerary we want to ensure we operate a river cruise vacation in which guests are able to cruise and visit as many ports as possible, understanding that the ports will be different from the original itinerary. We want to avoid operating a bus tour with multiple stays at moderate hotels and long bus rides all day. We also want to avoid cancelling cruises so that people can enjoy a vacation. Yet when circumstances dictate that we do have to cancel a cruise, it is done at least seven days in advance whenever possible.

There are mainly three problem areas on the rivers right now: Kaub, Germany on the Rhine; Pfelling, Germany on the Danube; and the area of the Danube between Bratislava, Slovakia and Budapest, Hungary.

Determining whether a ship will have a challenge on a cruise is based on when the ship is going to transit the problem area, not when the ship embarks on her sailing. For instance, if a cruise is departing from Amsterdam on September 16, but is not scheduled to sail through Kaub until September 21, it is not until around September 7 that we can start making predictions on whether the ship will have a problem making a transit.

In river cruising it is not "meters" of water that determine whether we can sail, it's "centimeters" of water that can make the difference. One rainfall (in the right place) could provide us with the centimeters of water we need to operate an itinerary as planned and thus we can’t most accurately predict whether there’s going to be a challenge until the day before.

Every cruise has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, as temperatures, water levels and port congestion varies from sailing to sailing. For the most part no two cruises are alike and so we have numerous contingency plans based on all of the factors in play. Contingency plans we have used for one cruise may not work for another because of varying circumstances such as port availability, port congestion, etc.

Rainfall predictions are generally good for approximately 7-10 days in advance and so at 10 days out we heavily scrutinize the problem areas (rainfall, temperatures,etc.) and if we feel there may be a problem, based on the data on hand, we send a notification to affected guests indicating there is a possibility of an itinerary deviation.

Once there is a high probability of a challenge, we then send an additional notification advising guests of a confirmed itinerary change. In most instances, we send out notices of confirmed itinerary changes at least five days before sailing.

When there is a change of an embarkation or disembarkation port, Crystal provides a generous allowance to change flight arrangements or to purchase new flights.

Finally, guests are always extended compensation (in the form of a future cruise credit)as a gesture of goodwill.

Travelers should always speak with their travel agent for additional information or call our Reservations Center at 1-888-722-0021 to find out the most updated information.

We want you to know that any alternative itinerary plans we offer will provide the superlative Crystal experience guests can expect aboard our voyages.

With warmest regards,

Bertha Espinosa

Vice President, Guest Services

Crystal

&

Walter Littlejohn

Vice President & Managing Director

Crystal River Cruises

[edit: corrected phone number above as requested by Crystal -- Host Jazzbeau]

Edited by LauraS
corrected phone number above as requested by Crystal

tfred:

In what we experienced the communications were the worst part of it, and could have been avoided. To us it was poor customer service by Crystal - we've had rescheduling issues on other cruises/other lines, and none handled it as poorly as Crystal:

- Crystal could have said (as they are starting to) that rerouting due to weather could happen - at least it would have started putting us in the right mindset. They could have told us that a few weeks ahead.

- The one and only communication we received left out a lot of important information, like whether excursions would be provided, if any consideration was being given to passengers who already booked personal excursions, or a point contact to reach out to for questions (rather than the 45 minute - 90 minutes on hold our TA had to deal with).

- No consistent policy on refunds or "apology credit". I'm still shocked that they gave us (minor) onboard credits, then took them away. Giving an apology then taking it back has nothing to do with low water in the river, it has to do with internal chaos and losing sight of the message sent to customers. Classless.

- In the one and only email we received they said we would receive $250 future cruise credit. We've asked about it and no one seems able to confirm if we are getting it, and if so how to use it (do we just reference the line in that one email?)

- We emailed "riverbutler" with the questions a week before; they acknowledged the email, said they would respond, then never did.

For a line that claims to be "six star", we were very disappointed with their communications and to your point, we felt there was a lot more they could have said than just "we don't know". And to that, when we got onboard a few of the crew told us they knew weeks before this rerouting was going to happen. Made us feel even more "kept in the dark". My suspicion is that there was some internal chaos (personnel changes or similar) on top of the weather issues that made Crystal's customer service so poor.

Dear johng75370,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent voyage on board Crystal Bach.

For assistance with your future cruise credit please contact our reservations team at 1-888-722-0021, and provide them with your Crystal Society number.

We have also informed our operations team of your feedback regarding the RiverButler email. Please accept our sincerest apology and we assure you the team is addressing this breakdown in communication.

My team can also be reached at Guestsupport@crystalcruises.com for any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Bertha Espinosa

Vice President, Guest Services

Crystal

Sailing on Debussy out of Basel Sept 16. Spoke to my agent yesterday asking about any news from Crystal...received a general statement without any information. Sent an email to head office in Los Angeles asking what they did on our itinerary this past week, no response. Called the Amsterdam office today asking what itinerary changes have been made this week assuming conditions will be the same or deteriorating and was told “of course there will be changes”. I again asked ..using the last couple of weeks as historical data what can I assume to experience. I was asked by the crystal representative how I got this number. He was extremely rude, would not allow me to finish asking my questions, told me to call Los Angles. Asked several times what can I expect for Sunday on, and in different wording said yes there will be changes. I asked for his name and he would not give to me, nor would he give me any information. What is this???? I understand this is a difficult situation for ALL concerned, company, employees, and let’s not forget CLIENTS! Come on Crystal, I expect communication....

Communication has never been Crystal's strong point. Count yourself lucky you are not taking a Crystal ocean cruise since communication on Crystal's river cruise is much better which is not saying Crystal river boats have good communication. When you get on a Crystal river boat, your only "communication" while on board is the daily newsletter because there's no Program Director nor daily briefing or updates. It's up to you to read the details on the daily newsletter for the latest on changes or special presentations. Crystal river boats strive the importance of privacy and they make sure there's no daily pre-dinner briefing. For people who've done Viking river cruises, they are spoiled by the daily briefing from the Program Director and we really missed that while on the Crystal Bach in June sailing on the Rhine. To get the latest info on Crystal river, you need to talk to the front desk or wait till the evening to read the latest announcement on the newsletter.

Fortunately for us, the lack of communication on the Crystal Bach was offset by really excellent service from the Butler to the dining room staff to outstanding top notch excursions. When Bach couldn't get to Frankfurt, our final port for disembarkation, Bach made sure all the passengers including the ones with independent travel arrangements were all taken care of.

Last fall we were on the "inaugural" (fresh from dry dock) 14-day Crystal Symphony ocean ship from Lisbon to Rome. The "communication" or the total lack of it was the worst we've ever seen on any ocean cruise ship let alone Crystal. Since a number of items had to be fixed before it could sail, Crystal Symphony had to dock in Lisbon an extra night. Half of the passengers were not notified and the worst part was Crystal's own ground crew at the Lisbon terminal to check in passengers didn't even know the ship was staying an extra night. Communications and customer care seemed to be totally lacking on the Crystal Symphony. However, we thoroughly enjoyed the Crystal Bach river cruise itinerary especially the constant pampering by the staff, a far cry from our very bad experience on the Crystal Symphony ocean ship. Good luck to you and others. Hopefully the weather or the river condition will be favorable.

I am surprised to hear that you received no pre-dinner briefing on your sailing. We just returned from the Crystal Mahler Sept 1-Sept 16 sailing and our (really superior) Program/Excursion Director Jessica held one every night in the Palm Court at 6:45pm. She went over the docking schedule, and detailed descriptions of every tour for the next day. She also held one on the second or third day of the cruise where she went over every single excursion that was going to be available for the entire cruise, to try to help people choose.

Our sailing was an amended itinerary, though. We were supposed to sail Amsterdam-Budapest and it had to be changed to round-trip Amsterdam with mostly completely different ports. Even Jessica did not know the exact itinerary and what tours would be available until the very very last minute. All of those things are arranged by corporate and the on-board people have absolutely no power to change them.

However, it was an absolutely wonderful cruise. The tours were excellent and there was a lot of variety, with several bike tours, short local walking tours in almost every port, and a few all-day tours to interesting cities about an hour away from the river. We only had 60 people on our sailing; the cruisers who felt that only the original itinerary would do all cancelled. The rest of us were very pleased with the amended one.

Diane

I am surprised to hear that you received no pre-dinner briefing on your sailing. We just returned from the Crystal Mahler Sept 1-Sept 16 sailing and our (really superior) Program/Excursion Director Jessica held one every night in the Palm Court at 6:45pm. She went over the docking schedule, and detailed descriptions of every tour for the next day. She also held one on the second or third day of the cruise where she went over every single excursion that was going to be available for the entire cruise, to try to help people choose.

Our sailing was an amended itinerary, though. We were supposed to sail Amsterdam-Budapest and it had to be changed to round-trip Amsterdam with mostly completely different ports. Even Jessica did not know the exact itinerary and what tours would be available until the very very last minute. All of those things are arranged by corporate and the on-board people have absolutely no power to change them.

However, it was an absolutely wonderful cruise. The tours were excellent and there was a lot of variety, with several bike tours, short local walking tours in almost every port, and a few all-day tours to interesting cities about an hour away from the river. We only had 60 people on our sailing; the cruisers who felt that only the original itinerary would do all cancelled. The rest of us were very pleased with the amended one.

Diane

Crystal river must've changed their "communication" recently because quite a few passengers on our 3 Crystal river cruises during the past 6 months complained about the lack of daily communications. When we confronted the Cruise Director couple of months ago on our ship, she said Crystal river deliberately set it up their river boats to avoid daily briefing nor did they see the need for a Program Director. They felt the daily newsletter should be sufficient for "communicating". She further said the Crystal customers didn't want any rigid daily briefing nor "forced" socializing like on Viking or other river boats. Glad that you had daily briefing on your recent Crystal river cruise. Since we have booked two more Crystal river cruises next year, we'll confirm then about the daily briefing. We have no complaints with Crystal river's exemplary service and absolutely outstanding Signature events and excursions.

Crystal river must've changed their "communication" recently because quite a few passengers on our 3 Crystal river cruises during the past 6 months complained about the lack of daily communications. When we confronted the Cruise Director couple of months ago on our ship, she said Crystal river deliberately set it up their river boats to avoid daily briefing nor did they see the need for a Program Director. They felt the daily newsletter should be sufficient for "communicating". She further said the Crystal customers didn't want any rigid daily briefing nor "forced" socializing like on Viking or other river boats. Glad that you had daily briefing on your recent Crystal river cruise. Since we have booked two more Crystal river cruises next year, we'll confirm then about the daily briefing. We have no complaints with Crystal river's exemplary service and absolutely outstanding Signature events and excursions.

I can understand some sort of daily briefing when there is a change from the published itinerary, but I hope I am capable of reading the daily schedule and planning accordingly. I would hope that my fellow cruisers don't need to be treated like second graders.

I can understand some sort of daily briefing when there is a change from the published itinerary, but I hope I am capable of reading the daily schedule and planning accordingly. I would hope that my fellow cruisers don't need to be treated like second graders.

The printed descriptions of the excursions are not always 100% clear, and the briefing allows people the opportunity to ask questions [which provide more details that everyone can benefit from]. Since many river cruise lines offer a choice of excursions, this not only helps prevent post-complaints that the tour wasn't as expected but also helps guide everyone to their best choice. But the briefings aren't mandatory – feel free to play hooky if you like ;)