What does the future have in store for the Prinsendam?

Ken the cruiser

...................... Also, I believe the Maasdam days are numbered............................

Just a tiny heads up, Ma'am; all three of HAL's oldest ships - Prinsendam, Maasdam and Veendam, have been/and are currently, put up for sale. Again, waiting for the right buyer. Timing, as they say, is everything ;)

Just a tiny heads up, Ma'am; all three of HAL's oldest ships - Prinsendam, Maasdam and Veendam, have been/and are currently, put up for sale. Again, waiting for the right buyer. Timing, as they say, is everything ;)

The Prinsendam has been for sale for years. Buyers are waiting for a lower price I believe. Personally, I won't mind if Holland America kept them for quite a few years more. Right now the Prinsendam and the Maasdam have the best itineraries. If I wasn't already booked on the aprinsendam next year, I would leap for the Maasdam's new itinerary! It is awesome!!!

From what I have gathered, her days are numbered and in 2020 or early 2021 she leaves the fleet. It's cost-prohibitive to update her as needed and that will in two years create issues where she won't be able to dock / tender in many European /American ports due to environmental issues.

From what I have gathered, her days are numbered and in 2020 or early 2021 she leaves the fleet. It's cost-prohibitive to update her as needed and that will in two years create issues where she won't be able to dock / tender in many European /American ports due to environmental issues.

I believe from what I have have read that her hull has to pass some special inspection at 30 years.

Copper can probably weigh n on that if I am incorrect.

I have only been on her in Europe (other than FLL) and she is greeted whole heartedly in every port we have been to Of course,, most of those are not normal ports of call ;)

It will be sad when she goes, for whatever reason. There will never be another ship in the HAL fleet like the Prinsendam

I believe from what I have have read that her hull has to pass some special inspection at 30 years.

Copper can probably weigh n on that if I am incorrect.

I have only been on her in Europe (other than FLL) and she is greeted whole heartedly in every port we have been to Of course,, most of those are not normal ports of call ;)

It will be sad when she goes, for whatever reason. There will never be another ship in the HAL fleet like the Prinsendam

Crystal was declined to dock in LA two months ago ... money is no factor when environmental policies kick in.

I for one applaud said policies. :)

But yes HAL won't replace her, that's what Seabourn's role is.

When you look at the newbuilds for the Ultra-Premium and Luxury cruise lines (Oceania, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, etc) over the last 7-10 years a very clear signal has been sent that a 40,000 tonne ship is about as small as we will see in future. Most, if not all, of these newbuilds cannot go many of the places the Prinsendam can primarily due to their air draft, or wider beam.

The Seabourn Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn were the last of the sub 40K tonne ships that might be able to replicate some of the Prinsendam's very unique abilities. Transferring them to HAL is not an option without completely gutting the cabins and rebuilding into a more dense ship in terms of total passengers (they each have a double occupancy of only 450 passengers, about half of Prinsendam's passenger capacity). The only option would be to try and transition the Prinsendam passenger base to the Seabourn brand, which will be difficult given the significant difference in price per passenger per day.

Even bringing either the Adonia or Pacific Princess (Both former Renaissance ships of near-identical size/capacity to each other) to the HAL brand doesn't solve a lot of the issues - both carry fewer passengers than Prinsendam (which means fares have to be somewhat higher on average) and are less capable of serving many of her unique ports and itineraries.

In short, the niche market that Prinsendam has served well for HAL may be abandoned without direct replacement. As little as many like it that may be what we are facing.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72