30 day South America cruise on prinsendam

2XTRADIRTIES

Unfortunately crime exists around the world and Brazil is having a bit more than it's fair share right now. I would say it would be wise to stay with tour groups and not go off on your own in the near future but if crime becomes enough of a problem that you need to worry about it while on a cruise HAL will change the itinerary. I was on the Prinsendam Amazon Explorer in 2013, the Maasdam one way to Buenos Aires in 2015, a Crystal Serenity cruise ending in Buenos Aires this spring and am booked on the Prinsendam Grand South America in 2019. Use reasonable care and you should be fine.

Roy

You mention "through Brazil". Are you traveling independently in parts of the country beyond the ports or tourist areas?

We did a cruise around SA some years ago and stopped in 4 Brazilian ports. We did a combination of ship excursions and private tours with our roll call. We did not go off our own as we might do in other places. Brazil has a fair amount of street crime - pickpockets, petty thieves, etc. But we used our normal precautions and had no issues. Same as we would do in Europe and most places, including here in the US.

One gentleman on our ship had family in one of the ports so he and his wife went off to visit them. He wore a flashy gold chain necklace which was torn off his neck in a "hit and run" theft. His wife said they knew better but had let their guard down because they going to see family, not being tourists.

So as with many other places, don't be flashy and guard your belongings cautiously. Always be aware of your surroundings.

If you are traveling independently through the country, maybe pre or post cruise? that's a very different story, one I can't address. Maybe you can provide more information about your plans and concerns. m--

The only place where I was really worried was Rio. And we were very nervous and conscious of our surroundings.

We always take the normal precautions but here, we were practically edgy.

We're glad we went but we have no inclination to return.

We loved South America and many cities (Santiago, Buenos Aires to name a few) and, if we were to cruise here again we would not include Rio in the itinerary.

that's just our personal preference.

Pickpockets are prevalent in many ports and they are getting creative. The young child who bumps you with an ice cream cone is classic. Do not wear jewelry - or keep it to a minimum. I usually wear only my wedding ring off the ship and leave the rest, like the diamond, in the safe. Had a discussion with a table mate once who said she only wore her zirconiums off the ship, never her diamonds; she did like her gaudy jewelry. After the MD sewed up her ear lobe she finally decided to not wear jewelry of any kind.

Stay on the major through ways and avoid less public areas if you wander. There is safety in numbers so if you do wander, bring friends. Invest in a cross body travel purse with a strap that is not easily cut - Amazon and eBags have several. Never keep a wallet in the back pocket - watched as a German tourist had his wallet and cell phone removed from his back pockets in a blink of an eye - in Florence! Only carry a bit of cash and a credit card. Had a port lecturer who used the 'bank of Barbara' for her extra money and her cards. Have adopted her 'tuck it into the bra' when I plan on shopping and have extra cash and a credit card.

Be extra vigilant about your surroundings as we are obviously rich tourists - but this is true for any where you travel. Just because you are on an organized tour does lessen the risk but you still need to be careful anywhere you go!

Get "pick pocket proof pants" and feel secure! The only pants my husband will wear off ship in cities or places that are known for theft. They are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please, what makes them pick pocket proof? Zippers on all the pockets or is there more to these pants?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was on the Grand South America cruise this year (2017). At all stops in Brazil, the ship location person warned of pick pockets. We were also told not to show our electronics. A woman was injured when someone tried to pull her purse off her shoulder. Others had their I-phones snatched out of their hands. One crew member was robbed at knife point. All these incidents happened at stops along the Amazon. I always traveled in a group, never went off ship after dark, and I had no problems. These things could happen in any city. On two stops, they recommended only using the ship shuttle to the center of town to a handicraft market and not to go anywhere else. I had friends in both stops walk from the ship to town without incident. HAL has changed some itineraries to drop at least one of the ports where problems occurred.

Go to the location lectures to find out what they recommend. If you are worried, then take a ship or private excursion.

Please, what makes them pick pocket proof? Zippers on all the pockets or is there more to these pants?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a description from Travelsmith...

"Foil even the most persistent thieves. The extra-deep side-seam pockets are not only zippered, they have a triple-pocket design that includes a button flap pocket and a hook-and-loop inner pocket for your camera and smartphone. The four cargo-style pockets (two in back and one on each side) are made from double-thick, cut-resistant fabric. Rear cargo pockets expand or flatten, and one conceals a zip passport pocket; snap closures. As soft and breathable as cotton, the nylon canvas fabric has a Teflon® finish to repel stains and light precipitation. UPF50+ sun protection. Belt loops. Nylon. Machine wash. Imported."

Other places have them also but here is a link to Travelsmith. https://www.travelsmith.com/product/pickpocket-proof-pants.do?from=Search&cx=0

We stayed with tours in rio and other places in Brazil. And Argentina. Wore only cheap jewelry. Felt totally safe in Argentina. In Brazil we got more comfortable as the trip went on and we were farther away from Rio. (We did walk around a small area by the h stern store and felt safe.) in Manaus we hired a taxi and went to a very nice shopping center and walked around and felt safe. Enjoy. The culture is worth seeing and worth the tiny bit of extra effort to wear practical sensible clothing and jewelry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the 2015 Amazon cruise and will be on the one this year. Though we had tours in some places, we did walk around on our own in Parintins and between the Opera House and dock in Manaus. We never felt unsafe then but will be even more cautious this time since it sounds like crime may have increased. We took the usual precautions--no jewelry, no electronics in plain sight, money in secure places, walked purposefully.