?Prinsendam Cabin and Early booking discounts

Hflors

I have on hold cabin 274 on Prinsendam. Since the cruise is almost 2 years away there is an early booking bonus available. It includes obc, airline credit, gratuities and I think some dinners. What if you aren't interested in this stuff can you just pay for the cruise and have all this other things removed?

The cabin I have on hold is on the Promenade deck which dh loves and it has a shower only which dh needs. The only down side is it has an obstructed view. Anyone stay in this cabin and can give me some insight?

I would love to hear pros and cons about cruising on this ship. She only holds 800 passengers.

We will be sailing her to the Baltic with a stop in St. Petersburg, I am thinking it won't take so long to clear customs in St. Pete.

I also received the Early Booking Discount for my Sep/18 Prinsendam cruise that I booked in Jan/17. I knew right away that I wouldn't likely use the air credit. But I also hoped that over the course of 19 months there would be other promotions that might be worth more to us. It also concerned me that if we booked our flights through HAL to utilize the air credit, and we later took a price drop and lost the air credit, we would then have to start all over with the air booking without the credit. It would then be too late to utilize our FF points for flights.

I recently took a price drop of C$1200/person which more than covered what we valued in EBD perks. So, I would still book the cruise and just watch the pricing and promotions. Just weigh your value of the perks, with the fare to be paid, and make your decision whether to keep the current promo or take another.

Sorry, I can't help you with the rest of your questions (since I haven't been on her yet) other than to say there are lots of posts on the Prinsendam; just keep reading every thread on the Prinsendam.

I also received the Early Booking Discount for my Sep/18 Prinsendam cruise that I booked in Jan/17. I knew right away that I wouldn't likely use the air credit. But I also hoped that over the course of 19 months there would be other promotions that might be worth more to us. It also concerned me that if we booked our flights through HAL to utilize the air credit, and we later took a price drop and lost the air credit, we would then have to start all over with the air booking without the credit. It would then be too late to utilize our FF points for flights.

I recently took a price drop of C$1200/person which more than covered what we valued in EBD perks. So, I would still book the cruise and just watch the pricing and promotions. Just weigh your value of the perks, with the fare to be paid, and make your decision whether to keep the current promo or take another.

Sorry, I can't help you with the rest of your questions (since I haven't been on her yet) other than to say there are lots of posts on the Prinsendam; just keep reading every thread on the Prinsendam.

Thanks for your advice. I called about the air credit. And asked about booking without the promo. Only way is a non-refundable deposit. Too many things can happen between now and then to even consider that. We just discussed keeping an eye out for other promos for this cruise. We have almost 2 years as the cruise leaves sept 2019. We are going to just keep an eye on everything to do with this cruise.

I have on hold cabin 274 on Prinsendam. Since the cruise is almost 2 years away there is an early booking bonus available. It includes obc, airline credit, gratuities and I think some dinners. What if you aren't interested in this stuff can you just pay for the cruise and have all this other things removed?

The cabin I have on hold is on the Promenade deck which dh loves and it has a shower only which dh needs. The only down side is it has an obstructed view. Anyone stay in this cabin and can give me some insight?

I would love to hear pros and cons about cruising on this ship. She only holds 800 passengers.

We will be sailing her to the Baltic with a stop in St. Petersburg, I am thinking it won't take so long to clear customs in St. Pete.

You are in luck - 274 has an in depth review by cranethie (who is a pretty objective CC member IMO) along with a ton of photos. It's on that site that has FACTS about HAL. If you google 274-prinsendam it should be near the very top of the page.

We had the same "deal" for early booking the Prinsendam. I wasn't interested in a non refundable deposit at the time either as it was too far in the future. But, you can certainly take the "snap" fare which is the non refundable deposit, bare bones cruising and lower price.

What I discovered when I compared was that the special deal was actually not a bad price. I am using HAL's air for the first time in decades because of the discount and was surprised at the reasonableness of the cost of the one way TA portion and good choices. When Explore4 came on, my 1st segment dropped enough that it wasn't worth it to keep the P'dam early booking bonus. So, I switched it (no problem at all and kept same booking #) but on the 2nd segment which is port intensive, there was so little difference in pricing that I kept the deal I have in place. Who knows what happens to pricing when Explore4 comes off, but sometimes the price of this ship doesn't come down - it can even go up ;)

So, you could book it now with the Early booking bonus special and then later change it if you were so inclined. Just a thought. It does pay to do the math.

As to the Prinsendam itself - Passenger max is around 835 I believe. She is a very popular ship with many of us because of her uniqueness and her itineraries. Her higher crew to passenger ratio doesn't hurt either ;)

She is an older lady without the bells and whistles of the newer ships but the rosewood in the PG still gleams, Her Crows Nest is gorgeous, her Canaletto is the best in the fleet IMO & she is very easy to get around. Her lido is not covered but since I like fresh air that's fine by me. She is not like any other HAL ship in the fleet. Her library is gorgeous - it is really 2 rooms - one huge and the other the Oak Room with it's comfy chairs, wooden walls and fireplace.

She's a more intimate ship where the crew can get to know you quickly.

Prinsendam has the most repeat passengers in the fleet and for very good reason. I can't promise you will love her (she's not for everyone) but we do.

We have an August 2018 cruise booked on the Prisendam, current promotion we have Air, Gratuities, Internet Credit, OBC and a couple of dinners. Anytime I even get a hint of a sale I have my TA call and see if there is anything better. This time we could have added Explore4 Beverage Package, but lost the Air, Gratuities and some of the OBC. Since I'm not a drinker and the wife only has an occasional martini with dinner, it was not worth it to change.

It can really pay to have your TA call. On our last cruise I scored 2 different price drops, which totaled about $1600 pp. That allowed me to take the upsell to the Signature Suite (041) that came along later. Also paid off on the cruise, as when I scored one of the sale prices, i posted about it in our Roll Call and one of the folks organizing one of the Private Tours, was able to get somewhere around $2000pp off. He was so happy, that he comped our costs for the private tour as a thanks. Totally unexpected.

Cheers,

When looking at the Deck 9 deck plan, is there a way to know which Cat. A Vista Suites have the bathroom vs the walk-in closet opposite the head of the bed?

Do you want to know which do/don't have the walk-in-closet? According to the Deck Plans on the HAL Site, the ones with the little propeller looking symbol, Do Not Have Walkins. I don't see any on Deck 9 marked as such.

Note you have to zoom the plans quite a bit to be able to differentiate between the Shower Only (Star *) and the 'No Walk in Closet' which only has 4 paddles.

Do you want to know which do/don't have the walk-in-closet? According to the Deck Plans on the HAL Site, the ones with the little propeller looking symbol, Do Not Have Walkins. I don't see any on Deck 9 marked as such.

Note you have to zoom the plans quite a bit to be able to differentiate between the Shower Only (Star *) and the 'No Walk in Closet' which only has 4 paddles.

Thanks but no, that's not what I'm asking. When looking at photos of various Vista class suites mid-ship on Deck 9, some show the bathroom door directly across from the head of the bed and others show the walk-in closet directly across from the head of the bed ... and I'm asking if there's a way to tell by looking at the deck plan which has which.

Thanks but no, that's not what I'm asking. When looking at photos of various Vista class suites mid-ship on Deck 9, some show the bathroom door directly across from the head of the bed and others show the walk-in closet directly across from the head of the bed ... and I'm asking if there's a way to tell by looking at the deck plan which has which.

I don't think there is way to tell from the deck plans.

But there are a bunch of OV pics on the site I referenced earlier that might be of help.

I believe they are laid out so that it is every other cabin but I don't want to swear to that. You'd be best served by looking at the site and actual pics that people took who sailed on the ship.

Kazu -

The "Factual HAL" photos are in fact the ones I've been looking at. Unfortunately there aren't any cabins for the particular one we're holding or any of the others that are available at the moment. You comment about them possibly being every other one was why I hoped someone could confirm that ... like perhaps those with showers only were one configuration and those with a tub were the other. Or ones that you enter to the left were one way and ones you enter to the right were the other. Was hoping someone could confirm there was a similar "secret code" on Prinsendam. Would of course have expected you, of all people, to know since you're such a big P'dam fan. Maybe someone else will chime in though.

Barb

Kazu -

The "Factual HAL" photos are in fact the ones I've been looking at. Unfortunately there aren't any cabins for the particular one we're holding or any of the others that are available at the moment. You comment about them possibly being every other one was why I hoped someone could confirm that ... like perhaps those with showers only were one configuration and those with a tub were the other. Or ones that you enter to the left were one way and ones you enter to the right were the other. Was hoping someone could confirm there was a similar "secret code" on Prinsendam. Would of course have expected you, of all people, to know since you're such a big P'dam fan. Maybe someone else will chime in though.

Barb

My understanding is that they are opposites as I said. But that is what I was TOLD by CC members. I've been in a number of OV's visiting and that is how it appeared but I can't swear to it.

Your cabin doesn't need to be there - if you look at the other pics you will quickly get the sense if that is the way it is or not.

Your sarcasm is not lost on me and I'm sorry I tried to help and wasted key strokes doing so. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

My understanding is that they are opposites as I said. But that is what I was TOLD by CC members. I've been in a number of OV's visiting and that is how it appeared but I can't swear to it.

Your cabin doesn't need to be there - if you look at the other pics you will quickly get the sense if that is the way it is or not.

Your sarcasm is not lost on me and I'm sorry I tried to help and wasted key strokes doing so. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Kazu - hey, I'm sorry you read it that way but it wasn't meant to be sarcastic at all. I truly thought you'd be able to answer because I know you love the P'dam and I "think" sail her a lot. Since you said you weren't sure I was hoping someone else might chime in. Nothing more. Sorry you misunderstood my comments ... you know sometimes when something is in your head and you write it and then someone else reads it in a totally different tone of voice? That!! LOL

I have on hold cabin 274 on Prinsendam.

The cabin I have on hold is on the Promenade deck which dh loves and it has a shower only which dh needs. The only down side is it has an obstructed view

Anyone stay in this cabin and can give me some insight?

ete.

Hello there - I'm the one who had a good time in 274 :). We'd never been on Prinsendam before so didn't know what to expect. So as Kazu has mentioned I shared some photos on that other site.

With regard to being obstructed (I bolded your words) you know I certainly don't remember it being so. I've asked my husband and he says (from what he remembers) it wasn't that far down the deck/ close to the bow to be near the metal frame work to be obstructed (if you know what he means :))

I will say (at that time Oct 2014) the sliding bathroom door was heavy - and 'could' be a problem for some cruisers .......maybe they've put a bit of grease on it now so it slides more easily :p.

Also the floor space in there was small - I mean I don't need a ballroom but there was no way both of us could have been in there together. No combing your hair while the other cleans their teeth!

I'd be back on her in a flash if I could - old advertising slogan here in Australia 'you'll never never know if you never never go' so go and enjoy this lovely ship (and that cabin lol) ~ Cathy

Edited by cranethie
Left a word out

Hello there - I'm the one who had a good time in 274 :). We'd never been on Prinsendam before so didn't know what to expect. So as Kazu has mentioned I shared some photos on that other site.

With regard to being obstructed (I bolded your words) you know I certainly don't remember it being so. I've asked my husband and he says (from what he remembers) it wasn't that far down the deck/ close to the bow to be near the metal frame work to be obstructed (if you know what he means :))

I will say (at that time Oct 2014) the sliding bathroom door was heavy - and 'could' be a problem for some cruisers .......maybe they've put a bit of grease on it now so it slides more easily :p.

Also the floor space in there was small - I mean I don't need a ballroom but there was no way both of us could have been in there together. No combing your hair while the other cleans their teeth!

I'd be back on her in a flash if I could - old advertising slogan here in Australia 'you'll never never know if you never never go' so go and enjoy this lovely ship (and that cabin lol) ~ Cathy

Cathy, thank you for the great comments. We have the cabin on hold and since dh is in agreement I think this is the cruise we will take. 274 looks like a great location for us. Dh loves being on the promenade and he loves having a shower only. Again thanks for taking the time to help us out with this cabin.

There is a way to tell from the deck plans which cabin is which if you know the secret. Just look at the deck plan and check for the cabins with the symbol for shower only.

We have been in both types of cabins and found that the cabins with the walkin closet across from the head of the bed are the ones that have a shower. If the bathroom is across from the head of the bed, it has a bathtub.

We have also found that in each short “side hall” leading to the cabin doors, the aft cabin has the bathtub while the forward cabin has a shower. As I said, we have had both types and found that because of the layout, the shower cabins have less room and have only one nightstand because of the localtion of the cabin door. Also, the bathroom with the shower is smaller.

There are a few cabins on deck nine that open directly onto the main hall. I have not seen the inside of these cabins, so I cannot comment on their layout.

We are currently on the Pdam in a Vista Suite. Hope this helps answer your question.

There is a way to tell from the deck plans which cabin is which if you know the secret. Just look at the deck plan and check for the cabins with the symbol for shower only.

We have been in both types of cabins and found that the cabins with the walkin closet across from the head of the bed are the ones that have a shower. If the bathroom is across from the head of the bed, it has a bathtub.

We have also found that in each short “side hall” leading to the cabin doors, the aft cabin has the bathtub while the forward cabin has a shower. As I said, we have had both types and found that because of the layout, the shower cabins have less room and have only one nightstand because of the localtion of the cabin door. Also, the bathroom with the shower is smaller.

There are a few cabins on deck nine that open directly onto the main hall. I have not seen the inside of these cabins, so I cannot comment on their layout.

We are currently on the Pdam in a Vista Suite. Hope this helps answer your question.

This is EXACTLY what I was wanting to know! Thank you SO MUCH!! :D

Also, thanks for the info re: more bathroom space when there's a tub and the fact that there are 2 nightstands in that configuration which is something I had completely missed in photos. And just make sure I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that the actual cabin space is less if there's a shower, not just the bathroom space, correct?

Thanks again! Enjoy your cruise!

This is EXACTLY what I was wanting to know! Thank you SO MUCH!! :D

Also, thanks for the info re: more bathroom space when there's a tub and the fact that there are 2 nightstands in that configuration which is something I had completely missed in photos. And just make sure I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that the actual cabin space is less if there's a shower, not just the bathroom space, correct?

Thanks again! Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, unfortunately the actual space is less. If you look at the PDF of the deck plans on the HAL site, the shower rooms are narrower than the bathtub rooms. Also, there is an inset where the door is, so you lose that space too.

What also makes it seem smaller is that without the second nightstand, the bed is jammed next to the couch which is next to the wall. There is not as much room to walk around the sitting area with the couch, arm chair, and coffee table.

The brochure says that the Vista suites are 221 to 273 sq. ft. including the verandah. Vista suites 104 through 121 have verandahs that are about 50% larger than the rest on deck 9. However, in these cabins you do hear noise fro, the show room directly below.

We estimate that the shower suites are at least 20 sq. ft. smaller as far as the actual cabin space.

If you have not had a suite with a bathroom, the shower suites would be nice. We are in a shower suite this time and realise we have been spoiled by the size of the bathroom suites.

Also, the verandah suites on deck 8 in the rear, while they have large verandahs, in our opinion, are not as nice a cabin. They do not have the walkin closet or a regular couch.

Even if we could only get an inside cabin, we’d still love the Pdam. We are enjoying our cruise.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser

I'm very interested in the early booking discounts for the Prisendam in 2019. My wife has her hopes up for us to take one of the cruises that has an itinerary with several of her "bucket list" places to visit.

Can someone tell me how the "Cruise Air Credit per stateroom" works? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but we've never booked a cruise where something like this is available.

Thanks in advance for your help! I have always been able to ask questions and receive your kind responses.

I'm very interested in the early booking discounts for the Prisendam in 2019. My wife has her hopes up for us to take one of the cruises that has an itinerary with several of her "bucket list" places to visit.

Can someone tell me how the "Cruise Air Credit per stateroom" works? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but we've never booked a cruise where something like this is available.

Thanks in advance for your help! I have always been able to ask questions and receive your kind responses.

The "credit" is an amount "I think on this cruise" it is $800 per person which will be used against the cost of airfare booked thru HAL. I didn't ask any more questions as #1 it is a year before we can even think about booking air and #1 the only other option for booking this cruise is a non refundable rate (at a far lower price) but who knows what will happen between now and sept 2019. I did ask about going earlier and staying longer after the cruise and she said that would be fine. So I left it at that. I am hoping once this promotion is over another promotion will come along or we will be much closer and go with the non-refundable price.

I have the promo on my cruise next year and did use HAL's flight ease program. first time in a very long time. If you use a TA or PCC you need to contact them to arrange the flights. I looked at potential flights first so I had an idea what I would prefer if they were available & it didn't take long at all to get it arranged.

The credit is up to $800 per person. You don't necessarily get the full credit. They have some way of calculating it. For our flights, our credit was between $450 pp and $500+ per person. The HAL one way TA flight was much better than I could have found on my own even without the discount.

Yes, unfortunately the actual space is less. If you look at the PDF of the deck plans on the HAL site, the shower rooms are narrower than the bathtub rooms. Also, there is an inset where the door is, so you lose that space too.

What also makes it seem smaller is that without the second nightstand, the bed is jammed next to the couch which is next to the wall. There is not as much room to walk around the sitting area with the couch, arm chair, and coffee table.

The brochure says that the Vista suites are 221 to 273 sq. ft. including the verandah. Vista suites 104 through 121 have verandahs that are about 50% larger than the rest on deck 9. However, in these cabins you do hear noise fro, the show room directly below.

We estimate that the shower suites are at least 20 sq. ft. smaller as far as the actual cabin space.

If you have not had a suite with a bathroom, the shower suites would be nice. We are in a shower suite this time and realise we have been spoiled by the size of the bathroom suites.

Also, the verandah suites on deck 8 in the rear, while they have large verandahs, in our opinion, are not as nice a cabin. They do not have the walkin closet or a regular couch.

Even if we could only get an inside cabin, we’d still love the Pdam. We are enjoying our cruise.

Wow - a 20 sf difference seems like a lot when you think how compact those cabins are to begin with. Since I tend to go for central locations (hoping for less motion, vibration, and noise), it's doubtful we'd book any of those forward or aft cabins but I appreciate your feedback on both. We have never sailed on the P'dam so it will all be new for us :p but I am aiming for a deck 9 midship location with a tub. Glad you're having a good time! Thanks again - you've been most helpful! Barb

Wow - a 20 sf difference seems like a lot when you think how compact those cabins are to begin with.

It's really not as bad as it sounds when you consider that it's about 1' narrower for the entire length of the cabin.

I have stayed in both a tub and shower-only balcony cabin, and didn't feel any real difference in the usable area. I could walk around the foot of the bed easily, although I did have to have the desk bench pushed in to get by. IIRC, that was true in both cabins, though.

The single nightstand was not a problem for me, as I travel solo. Perhaps it would be if both people needed a nightstand right there. There is plenty of storage space to supplement, though.

I learned that the one nightstand can go on either side of the bed when it is set as a queen, and between the two if they are separated. There was plenty of walking space on each side of the bed regardless of which side the nightstand was on.

I liked not having that huge mirror in the tub when I had the shower cabin! Thank goodness I don't wear my glasses when I us a tub!

I liked not having that huge mirror in the tub when I had the shower cabin! Thank goodness I don't wear my glasses when I use a tub!

LOL, Ruth!! :cool:

(and thanks for another viewpoint ... always good to hear from others!)

I liked not having that huge mirror in the tub when I had the shower cabin! Thank goodness I don't wear my glasses when I us a tub! [/font]

Ruth, I totally agree about the mirror in the bathtub. Fortunately, I like hot showers so the mirror quickly fogs up. Plus, I try to keep my back to the mirror! :D

I also agree there is plenty of storage space for two people. At night, without the second nightstand, I put what I need on the coffee table and move it closer to the bed. That works well, as long as I don’t catch my foot on the table leg. So far, I’ve missed it.

Lenda

Between your comment, Lenda and Ruth's re: mirror in the bathroom, I'm going to remember to get it really foggy in there before I jump in! (you guys crack me up :'))

Another question - we always book cabins that have one above and one below but that's not possible on Deck 9 ... has anybody ever stayed in or visited one of the Vista suites directly above the casino and if so, how much noise filters up? We're looking at A168 as a possibility but not if I'm going to hear noise at any or all hours.