Danube water levels 2017 and similar topics

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:12 PM.
Rhine, Germany
2,130 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Passau was at 492cm this lunchtime. No updates since then published online (unusual). The current rain and bad weather forecast will mean a rise but no official prediction has been published.

Basically looking good for now but 48 hours might see a significant change. See posts above for the problem with the bridge. Very tentative info right now. Sorry.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by seabreezer
Well, I can now report that we made it through without any problem or delay today!
It's a great feeling, isn't it?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Tor 9/2017, Romantic Danube
Viking Heimdal 9/2016, Lyon to Provence
CT, USA
7 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by notamermaid
Passau was at 492cm this lunchtime. No updates since then published online (unusual). The current rain and bad weather forecast will mean a rise but no official prediction has been published.

Basically looking good for now but 48 hours might see a significant change. See posts above for the problem with the bridge. Very tentative info right now. Sorry.

notamermaid
notamermaid, I have enjoyed reading this thread with your informative comments along with the updates by all of the other correspondents. My wife and I were on Viking Njord for the upstream Romantic Danube cruise in May of 2016. Fortunately we were on our land based extensions in Prague and the Bavarian Forest and north of the worst areas when the heavy rains came. However the Danube was pretty high already when we on board I asked one of the two pilots (First Mates) about the bridges between Passau and Regensburg and was told the railroad bridge at Bogen was the only one they were concerned about at that time. It is number 23 on the linked list and does seem to be the lowest: http://www.viadonau.org/fileadmin/co...donau_WORK.pdf As it turned out we were OK.

Do you know where to find the minimum distance from the water surface to the bridge structure that a fully ballasted Longship needs to pass under a bridge and the width of the bridge that has to be at least that height? And what Viking considers an acceptable safety margin?
Rhine, Germany
2,130 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Great news seabreezer,

Originally posted by seabreezer
Well, I can now report that we made it through without any problem or delay today!
Hooray. And sorry, I did not realize you were so close to Passau already when you had posted.

Official figures are back to regular updates, the level at Passau peaked at 514cm early this morning and has been slightly falling since. It looks like there have not been that many downpours in several areas simultaneously which would make the river rise more. So pretty good for now. Most rain right now is falling Southeast of the Danube with very little effect on Passau.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips