How to avoid Room Service Charge

There's food available most of the time. Why not just grab something? Seems like a lot of trouble just to avoid a room service charge.

It's not that I do not have the money for the rooms ervice charge, here it's just about the system, and the principle.

Many years ago, until last year it was certainly that this kind of service is free, and you pay 13.50$ tips a day, and there I think it's self-evident to have such a service included in your cruise fare when booking a 4-star-ship, isn't it?

It's just a purpose to earn extra revenue, and I would not support it!

And a stateroom attendant also gets paid for bringing the food to the room service.

And: It's the same food that's onboard either way and you could have without extra fees when going to a restaurant.

So why not in your stateroom as well?

It's not that I do not have the money for the rooms ervice charge, here it's just about the system, and the principle.

Many years ago, until last year it was certainly that this kind of service is free, and you pay 13.50$ tips a day, and there I think it's self-evident to have such a service included in your cruise fare when booking a 4-star-ship, isn't it?

It's just a purpose to earn extra revenue, and I would not support it!

And a stateroom attendant also gets paid for bringing the food to the room service.

And: It's the same food that's onboard either way and you could have without extra fees when going to a restaurant.

So why not in your stateroom as well?

I get it...you're a principals kind of guy. Cool. That's why they need to raise the cruise fare to cover the costs of tips, room service, and other things that would violate your principals. Then you can relax and enjoy the cruise without worrying about an additional cost for ordering room service. Problem solved...you're welcome.

I hate being nickle and dimed as much as the next guy. Still, I'm on vacation. I paid decent money already. I'm not going to let a few bucks ruin that. When it gets to the point where the money does make a difference, I'll quit taking vacations.

Honestly, I wish they would just roll everything into the price and be done with it. It's not just RCI and the airlines, everyone seems to be doing it now.

Very well said!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But they sell snacks in the theatre now anyway. On Harmony two weeks ago they had a small concession stand selling candy and such. I didn’t see many people purchasing those items but they do make it available. Shrug.

Good to know - I didn't see this on my last cruise on Anthem but will look for it next summer on Harmony

But they sell snacks in the theatre now anyway. On Harmony two weeks ago they had a small concession stand selling candy and such. I didn’t see many people purchasing those items but they do make it available. Shrug.

Good to know - I didn't see this on my last cruise on Anthem but will look for it next summer on Harmony

On Oasis on October 1st cruise they sold freshly popped popcorn and various boxes of Movie Theater candy at a table when you walked into the theater. There was actually a line of people waiting to purchase. This was the first cruise I have been on where they had a concession. I purchased a bag of popcorn and a box of M&M's. :cool:

Popcorn was very popular in the theater on my last cruise. I don't see the big deal with any of this. In fact, I think I will bring a bento box type container with lid on my next cruise because I do like the idea of eating lunch on my balcony, or a late snack if I have had an early dinner. I don't see how that affects anyone. Part of the problem with room service is timing. I may not feel like waiting, what if it takes longer than expected etc. Or it will just seem very wasteful to spend $7.95 for a little nosh. It adds up for those of us who do travel on tighter budgets.

anybody think they charge for popcorn to stop kids getting it by the bucket full even when they dont really want it and end up getting popcorn everywhere over the ship?? thats my theory :p

if the recent cruise planners ive seen of the serenade ots are correct and theres no sorrentos and park cafe shuts at midnight then ill be taking my supper from the WJ at lunch back to my room to eat early hours after the night club

Is $7.95 really gonna break the bank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! How cheap can you get? If that is too much money then maybe you should not be on s ship to begin with

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree! How cheap can you get? If that is too much money then maybe you should not be on s ship to begin with

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it is such a trivial amount I guess RCI doesn't need it and can include it at no charge like they did for 40years

One reason we enjoy staying on Deck 8 (Allure & Oasis) is the Park Cafe. We can grab a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich and head back to our balcony to eat breakfast. The only food I've ever taken out of the WJ was a banana or apple since it never occurred to me to take a meal or dessert from the WJ or MDR back to my room. That would be a rather long walk to carry food and drink, and frankly, I would feel awkward in an elevator with a plate of food.

It goes to the company. Beyond that, no one knows for sure.

That makes me feel bad for the staff. I'm sure most people would tip a decent amount in cash to the person delivering their order, but now with the fee, no doubt those tips have decreased.