Single Cabin Question

Please excuse me I am new to Royal Caribbean International. My usual cruise involves a ship at least twenty years old and less than two thousand passengers. I am keen to try a big newer resort style ship.

I am thinking of jumping in with both feet and booking Symphony of the Seas departing from Barcelona on the 14th of April. Looking at the price offered by travel agents and Royal Caribbean I had quite a shock. The single cabin rate is about 2.3 times double occupancy rate (per person). I would have been happy to pay up to double but am surprised I would have to pay more than that.

Please could I ask if a single supplement of over a hundred percent is normal for Royal Caribbean International. I am tempting just to wait and see what happens to the price. Any advice would be gratefully received.

I am in the United Kingdom and the price included an alcoholic beverage package.

Thank you in advance, Stephen.

Please excuse me I am new to Royal Caribbean International. My usual cruise involves a ship at least twenty years old and less than two thousand passengers. I am keen to try a big newer resort style ship.

I am thinking of jumping in with both feet and booking Symphony of the Seas departing from Barcelona on the 14th of April. Looking at the price offered by travel agents and Royal Caribbean I had quite a shock. The single cabin rate is about 2.3 times double occupancy rate (per person). I would have been happy to pay up to double but am surprised I would have to pay more than that.

Please could I ask if a single supplement of over a hundred percent is normal for Royal Caribbean International. I am tempting just to wait and see what happens to the price. Any advice would be gratefully received.

I am in the United Kingdom and the price included an alcoholic beverage package.

Thank you in advance, Stephen.

Hi Stephen, I’m in the UK too. When I booked in June for the 13th May there were inside and outside studio rooms. I paid £1500 with no drink package.

There are now no studio rooms as Royal have taken them off the ship to give more room for restaurants.

I have been ‘upgraded’, but that’s a different story. Looking at the price now, they have gone up by £1000 for an ocean view on deck 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

200% is about the standard single supplement...sometimes on the going, going gone sales they will have some lower, but not lately...

On the plus side...you do get double points if you are sailing solo in a regular cabin..

The single studio cabins are very popular. That and the fact that there are a limited number of them causes the price to sometimes be much more than a standard cabin, i.e. the economic law of supply and demand. I had a similar situation last year on the Anthem where I booked a standard balcony with a single supplement because it was cheaper than a studio cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Stephen, I’m in the UK too. When I booked in June for the 13th May there were inside and outside studio rooms. I paid £1500 with no drink package.

There are now no studio rooms as Royal have taken them off the ship to give more room for restaurants.

I have been ‘upgraded’, but that’s a different story. Looking at the price now, they have gone up by £1000 for an ocean view on deck 3.

I have never heard of Studio Rooms. Are they for singles? Thank you.

200% is about the standard single supplement...sometimes on the going, going gone sales they will have some lower, but not lately...

On the plus side...you do get double points if you are sailing solo in a regular cabin..

200% would be fine but 230% is a bit too much.

I have never heard of Studio Rooms. Are they for singles? Thank you.

They are but are no longer going to be on the Symphony. I have had it confirmed by RCI and people’s cabins are getting changed.

They are but are no longer going to be on the Symphony. I have had it confirmed by RCI and people’s cabins are getting changed.

That is a shame. Other lines are increasing the number of single cabins. I thought it was a trend.

Thank you, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

200% would be fine but 230% is a bit too much.

Need to be a little careful with the comparison since your 230% also includes a drink package. Don't know how much it is in the UK, but it's something to consider. I sail solo most of the time and in North America the standard is pretty much 200% but without any drink packages or anything like that.

Just an update. Apparently there was a system error which meant the rate I needed was not showing. I have now booked a virtual balcony for single occupancy. I will be paying roughly 1.7 times the double occupancy rate including an alcoholic drinks package. I am very pleased with this and it seems very fair.

It will be my first Royal Caribbean International cruise so as you can imagine I am very excited. Also the cruise goes to Naples and I have always wanted to go to the Archeological museum.

I will read this forum regularly from now on to pick up tips for my cruise. One thing that surprises me is how many dining venues Royal Caribbean ships have. I am use to a fixed seating main dining room, a lido and perhaps one alternative venue.

Thank you for your help and being so kind to a first time Royal Caribbean cruiser.

Best wishes, Stephen.