Jamie's Italian Opinions

We were recently on the Harmony and wanted to give Jamie's a shot. We are fans of Giovanni's and Portofino's and figured we would give it a shot. Well, we went for lunch and we did not like it at all. The dishes did not feel Italian and the food was not that flavorful. Every time we passed by the restaurant it was never busy and always seemed empty. In my opinion, I would have liked to see Giovanni's on the newer ships, it is always a great meal and the restaurant itself is better in my opinion. What is everyone else's opinions on Jamie's? Would you like to see Jamie's expand within the fleet or would you rather see the restaurant be replaced with Giovanni's?

We only dine at specialty restaurants so I can honestly say we tried them all. We just got off the Harmony in May and we had three nights reserved in Jaimie's....we do not like Jaimie's...it is not authentic Italian food, but more of American with a twist of somewhat Italian....my other half and my father in law were on this cruise, the only thing that we enjoyed was the antipasto and vegetable plank (Italian places would not name it plank lol) with the exception of that horrible cold slaw that did not belong on that plate. The chicken cacciatore was not real chicken cacciatore but a chicken breast with some tomato sauce on top of it....the penne carbonara was way under done not even aldente......even the bread was nothing to talk about...forget the steak, I won't even go there just will say I couldn't eat it and neither did the gentleman that sat next to our table.

We did dine there a second evening only to think perhaps the first night dining there they had an off night..but the same....we ended up cancelling the third evening and there is only one thing I can say, what the heck does an Englishman know about Italian food...I don't recommend Jaimie's but we love Giovanni's then Portofino's!! I also wished that they take away Jaimie's and add one of the other two restaurants in its place.

Giovanni's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree that Js is POOR!!!! Everything about it: decor, food, service. Went once on HOTS and never again. If that was the only choice, it would be a NO GO!!!!!

Why did RCI change from Giovanni's to Jam's? Many people are complaining about Jam's. From what I see and read, Jam's is not going over very well. In fact, it seems like if you go with a BOGO, RCI reserves Jam's for you the first night. So, we immediately change to anything else.

there is only one thing I can say, what the heck does an Englishman know about Italian food...

Jamie Oliver is the 'celebrity' chef (over here anyway in the U.K.) behind the venture and chain of restaurants.

The Italian part comes from the other side of the partnership from Italian Chef Gennaro Contaldo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jamie Oliver is the 'celebrity' chef (over here anyway in the U.K.) behind the venture and chain of restaurants.

The Italian part comes from the other side of the partnership from Italian Chef Gennaro Contaldo.

Maybe RCI got the wrong side? LOL

Maybe RCI got the wrong side? LOL

[emoji3] probably!

It is a strange restaurant choice by RCI, we were on Anthem on her first season out of Southampton and it was very popular.

Serving up Italian food now to a predominantly New York crowd on Anthem has to be a tough gig.

I thought it was fine. First go round didn't have a great experience, and the food was just OK. Gave it one more try, and it was so much better. We started out with the Risotto Balls (Called something more sophisticated, I'm sure), and the Bruschetta. Hubs ordered lasagna and a side of broccolini with garlic. I had the Penne Pomodoro, and it was quite good. Definitely not the higher end of specialty dining, but good enough. We had the dining package, so thought we might as well try it:-)

Thankfully the Oasis doesn't have that Jaimie's...big relief, don't want to go there again.

Chef Contaldo, left Italy in 1969 for London, where he worked for restaurants there...he has written many books and most of the recipes are not Italian

Sure explains why the food in Jaimie's is not real Italian, he's been in London for many many years and he best to go back to writing recipe books! ;p

Jamie's show was A+ on one of the cooking channels when he was trying to get started years ago. He had this little bitty kitchen with a tiny refrigerator. But he knew his food. I ate there one night on Anthem (lamb chops). It was acceptable but not the best I have had.

We were recently on the Harmony and wanted to give Jamie's a shot. We are fans of Giovanni's and Portofino's and figured we would give it a shot. Well, we went for lunch and we did not like it at all. The dishes did not feel Italian and the food was not that flavorful. Every time we passed by the restaurant it was never busy and always seemed empty. In my opinion, I would have liked to see Giovanni's on the newer ships, it is always a great meal and the restaurant itself is better in my opinion. What is everyone else's opinions on Jamie's? Would you like to see Jamie's expand within the fleet or would you rather see the restaurant be replaced with Giovanni's?

This is just my opinion.......Jamie should stick to fish and chips and leave the Italian cooking to the pros.

As others have said, Giovanni's is more Italian than Jamie's. The first time on the Quantum, we were looking forward to Jamie's and other than the antipasti plank board and the linguini with clam sauce every thing else in non-traditional Italian. My wife ordered the lamb chops and she enjoyed them as they were delicious. I ordered the eggplant and it was blah. The next experience was on the Anthem and learned from my Q experience, I ordered the lamb chops and enjoyed them immensely, Recently, looked at their new menu and voila, the lamb chops don't seem to be offered.

Portofino, when initially introduced was dining at a 5 star experience, but over time not only the quality of the food suffered, but also the service. The seafood skewer which contained half a lobster tail, was reduced in later times to small chunk the size of a large shrimp.

As others have said, Giovanni's is more Italian than Jamie's. The first time on the Quantum, we were looking forward to Jamie's and other than the antipasti plank board and the linguini with clam sauce every thing else in non-traditional Italian. My wife ordered the lamb chops and she enjoyed them as they were delicious. I ordered the eggplant and it was blah. The next experience was on the Anthem and learned from my Q experience, I ordered the lamb chops and enjoyed them immensely, Recently, looked at their new menu and voila, the lamb chops don't seem to be offered.

Portofino, when initially introduced was dining at a 5 star experience, but over time not only the quality of the food suffered, but also the service. The seafood skewer which contained half a lobster tail, was reduced in later times to small chunk the size of a large shrimp.

Agree, it is a shame. Will the continuous cost cutting ever stop, even in the upscale venues?

I agree about Portofino being a much more fine dining experience and with excellent food as well. However, we (Five of us) did really enjoy our Jamies diner on Anthem. We were not expecting a fine dining event as we were aware of the casual ambiance of the restaurant. I was also not expecting truly exacting authentic Italian fare either. We all enjoyed the service and food. I had the Lamb chops and they were very good. Not the best I ever had, but still very good. All the sides and appetizers were very nice and I really liked the deli meat plank.

dp