Balcony Guarantee Eurodam

Chrisfromco

Hello! I am considering a Mexican Riviera cruise in December and there are guarantee balconies available in several classes. VF through VA I believe. I've never sailed on Holland America. Is there a particular one I should try for? I do like having chairs on the balcony, so I don't think I'd be interested in the Spa balcony as it looks like standing only on the balcony? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Haven't been on Eurodam but unless really large difference in rate between guarantee and getting assigned cabin, I would go with assigned. We did guarantee veranda couple of times. First one was fine, second not so much. Right over showroom and very loud until about midnite. We generally in bed by 11 or so and was really loud even with earplugs. Also had solid railing so couldn't see water without standing. Decided never again. I now pick my cabin. The $100 or so extra worth it to us.

Jane

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the feedback. We'll go ahead and choose one then instead of the guarantee. I know the ships are not identical, but would you recommend a particular Balcony class or location over another? There are staterooms available on deck 4 through deck 10. Prices are all within $100 or so of each other. We usually prefer mid or aft cabins.

Thanks!

Chris

I've not yet cruised HAL but did alot of research before booking my first one and here is my rule of thumb: book on a deck with passenger cabins above and below yours to insulate against sound pollution as much as possible. Also, on the Vista/Signature class ships the mid-ship cabins are recessed back into the hull versus the fore and aft cabins that are 'over the hump' with true views underneath (without lifeboats and the promenade deck blocking the view to the sea).

For my first cruise on HAL aboard the Oosterdam, I picked a verandah on Deck 7 Forward.

I would not do a guarantee. I like to have some control over my "home for a week". We like deck 8 (navigation deck) for its convenience to the pool, spa, lido restaurant and the view. We have had a VA 2 doors down from the mid ship elevators and a VE near the front elevators. Both were good and quiet . The VE is less expensive. VA and V cabins are mid ship and considered more desirable by some thus more expensive. I vaguely remember that the deck 8 verandas are a foot deeper than the other decks excluding deck 4.

I would not do a guarantee. I like to have some control over my "home for a week". We like deck 8 (navigation deck) for its convenience to the pool, spa, lido restaurant and the view. We have had a VA 2 doors down from the mid ship elevators and a VE near the front elevators. Both were good and quiet . The VE is less expensive. VA and V cabins are mid ship and considered more desirable by some thus more expensive. I vaguely remember that the deck 8 verandas are a foot deeper than the other decks excluding deck 4.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear about deck 8 as those were the ones I am most interested in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Be careful of deck 4 forward unless you don't mind solid rail balcony and also you will be above music venues I believe. That is the area we got really bad veranda. Also I wouldn't do 8 as right under Lido and they do wash decks, move chairs and tables, etc pretty early. Wouldn't suggest 10 anyway as those verandas very small I believe. Not sure if this is the case with 9 or not but could be. I suggest 5 thru 7 for quietest room without worry of early or late noise. We like aft ourselves. Like I said haven't been on Eurodam but looks similar to the ships we have been on. Hope this helps.

Jane