Eurodam ..One Good Turn

CM1984

The old saying "One Good Turn Deserves Another" applies here! Thanks to the many Cruise Critic members and staff, we had a superb trip to Alaska. Soooo, here is a link to our Review. I hope it helps with your planning. :cool:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=621080

Edited by CM1984
Grammar!

I enjoyed your review. I agree the float plane landing on a mountain lake is so worthwhile. The first time I did this excursion in Misty Fjord the pilot did not make the lake landing, but the second time the pilot did. What a memorable experience!

Thanks for sharing. Good to hear you had a wonderful Alaska cruise.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

Can you tell me what time you arrived at Pier 91 to board the ship?

Thanks!

From our hotel to parking the shuttle, it was about 45 minutes, so that's around 11:20ish. Then we started walking. Porters took our luggage right outside the terminal, we had everything tagged.

--We started walking and walking, just like herds of sheep, but very well organized. Once we got to registration windows, it was very fast. They started boarding in groups, but by the time they had raised each sign for a group, within 3 minutes, they were raising the next sign. We were in group five. It just did not feel crowded at all.

From our hotel to parking the shuttle, it was about 45 minutes, so that's around 11:20ish. Then we started walking. Porters took our luggage right outside the terminal, we had everything tagged.

--We started walking and walking, just like herds of sheep, but very well organized. Once we got to registration windows, it was very fast. They started boarding in groups, but by the time they had raised each sign for a group, within 3 minutes, they were raising the next sign. We were in group five. It just did not feel crowded at all.

Thank you!

Thank you! We are sailing on NA in August. Have booked Island Wings in Ketchikan. How many were in the plane? Does she narrate or is it recorded?

I hope you love it as much as we did! Good for you! The plane will hold 7 passengers, everyone has a window. No recording, Michelle chats with passengers and shares lots of information, anyone is welcome to ask questions, and she has a tremendous knowledge base.

Upon landing on the mini-island, she is happy to take pictures of you and your group, with the views and with the plane.

Pickup is easy and quick at the dock, and she and Shona are very accommodating. Have fun!

What date did you sail? We were in 7015 on the 5/26 sailing. We may have spoke on balcony!

Nessa..

We were 5/12 Sailing. THAT would have been pretty cool though.

Mimi

CM1984- Thanks for posting your review! Glad you enjoyed your trip. I believe that the Eurodam came out of drydock not that long ago. (Memory in a.m. before sufficient java not so great! :-)

Any comments/thoughts are the changes? IE Did the look or feel seem different than photos of the Eurodam that you saw pre-drydock? (I have not sailed on the Eurodam before.)

Thanks again for posting your review.

-EngSet

Thank you! We are sailing on NA in August. Have booked Island Wings in Ketchikan. How many were in the plane? Does she narrate or is it recorded?

As CM 1984 said, this is an amazing excursion. Michelle was so accommodating and knowledgeable. She obviously loves what she does. This is one excursion you will never forget. Enjoy!!

CM1984, thank you for your review. We will be doing this cruise June 23-30. Really excited!

CM1984- Thanks for posting your review! Glad you enjoyed your trip. I believe that the Eurodam came out of drydock not that long ago. (Memory in a.m. before sufficient java not so great! :-)

Any comments/thoughts are the changes? IE Did the look or feel seem different than photos of the Eurodam that you saw pre-drydock? (I have not sailed on the Eurodam before.)

Thanks again for posting your review.

-EngSet

EngSet - I had not been on a HAL ship since 2002ish, so I was not familiar with how things looked before Drydock. But after studying the websites pics over and over and over, I really did not notice any differences. I really loved the flat screen TV across from the bed and having USB ports on each side of the bed - but that was done before this last drydock.

Ahoy there!

I first sailed on ms Eurodam in August 2017, and just returned from another cruise on the ship this past weekend. I noticed several great improvements throughout the ship from the the most recent Dry Dock in April:

Deck 1 - The Journeys Ashore desk was removed and replaced with several Future Cruise Consultant stations. The Atrium Bar was also complete removed and new seating was added.

Deck 3 - The Photo Gallery was updated with new computer kiosks.

Deck 11 - The Crow's Nest received a complete overhaul! The dark wood and older finishings and large bookcases were removed, and replaced with lighter wood and chrome finishings. The Exploration's Cafe was removed, and an EXC Desk (Journey's Ashore) was added in it's place (don't worry, the Crow's Nest bar has the same coffee service). Several interactive displays were added, so guests could explore each port and EXC offerings.

Another thing I noticed were upgrades to the Restrooms throughout the ship (I assume the Men's rooms were updated lol). Previously these were predominately red in color, and have been updated to neutral colors and marble finishings. In addition, it appeared they had updated the carpeting in several areas.

Overall, I found the renovations to ms Eurodam to be in very good taste. I have read several reviews of the updates being "too modern" and "not in line with the traditional HAL appearance." However, with the arrival of ms Koningsdam and ms Nieuw Statendam, I think it is important to blend the newer aesthetics of these ships with the traditional looks of ships (such as the ms Eurodam) in order for HAL to present a unified brand across their fleet. In my opinion, the renovations completed in the recent Dry Dock have certainly accomplished this aboard ms Eurodam.

Thanks, Cruisegal84 and CM1984! (I have been searching online to see if anyone has posted photos of the Eurodam since this most recent dry dock; but, have not found much.)

Appreciate the info. :-)

Side note- I just saw another thread on the HAL message board by Scubacruiserx2 with some photos---will be checking that out---but, I think those photos are from May of 2017. Nice photos, though.

Thanks again for the info.

Edited by EngSet