7 Days on the Eurodam - questions

kensinsd

This is my first post in years as we just recently booked our second cruise. We are doing a 7-day Mexico cruise from San Diego on the Eurodam, which is the same itinerary we did almost 4 years ago on the Westerdam.

I have a few questions which I am sure have already been answered but I'm a little overwhelmed and my searches are not finding what I need.

One night of the cruise is my birthday, any suggestions for which Specialty Restaurant we might want to try to reserve?

In regards to "Formal" or "Gala" nights, how many will there typically be? Also, I'd like to wear my tux, will I be overdressed?

When it comes to dining in general, our booking confirmation shows "open seating", is there a way to change this? I'd really prefer to have a table for two reserved for every night if we could.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I'll be trying to find the answers by searching, at least for now.

Just as it was 4 years ago, this forum is so helpful and I appreciate the knowledge you are all sharing already.

Thanks!

This is my first post in years as we just recently booked our second cruise. We are doing a 7-day Mexico cruise from San Diego on the Eurodam, which is the same itinerary we did almost 4 years ago on the Westerdam.

I have a few questions which I am sure have already been answered but I'm a little overwhelmed and my searches are not finding what I need.

One night of the cruise is my birthday, any suggestions for which Specialty Restaurant we might want to try to reserve?

In regards to "Formal" or "Gala" nights, how many will there typically be? Also, I'd like to wear my tux, will I be overdressed?

When it comes to dining in general, our booking confirmation shows "open seating", is there a way to change this? I'd really prefer to have a table for two reserved for every night if we could.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I'll be trying to find the answers by searching, at least for now.

Just as it was 4 years ago, this forum is so helpful and I appreciate the knowledge you are all sharing already.

Thanks!

We tux wearers are in the minority, but I enjoy dressing up for my bride. You can still reserve a table for two during open seating by talking with the Maitre'd. You would normally have 2 Gala Nights. We love both the Pinnacle Grill and the Tamarind. Steakhouse versus Asian fusion. We always do both, repeatedly!

I would book the Tamarind -- we love the Pan Asian food there.

Yes there are 2 Gala nights. DH's tuxedo is stored in the back of his closet. On those nights he wears either a suit with a tie or jacket and tie. Very, very few men wear tuxedos anymore.

There are tables for 2 in Open Seating. You need to talk to the dining room manager on Embarkation day. Keep in mind that you can only make reservations for the time between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9. And you can make reservations for 3 nights at a time.

Have a Happy Birthday on your cruise.

Recent Alaska cruise on the Zaandam - maybe 90% of the men were actually in dark suit on Gala Night, of which 10% were in tuxedos. 99% of the women were dressed up for the occasion - something sparkly to long gowns and formal. (Late seating - fixed upper dining room - tends to be more formal)

I was on the Eurodam last year and loved the ship. I say wear the tux, I so miss everyone dressing on formal, or gala nights as they once did.

For me, if it were my birthday, I would choose to eat at the Pinnacle.

Enjoy your cruise and your birthday onboard.

Definitely Tamarind!

And there are 2 Gala Nights - I only saw a couple of tuxes last year on the Eurodam. I wore a dark suit only because my wife wanted pictures and there were quite a few of us in suits but it was a late season Alaskan cruise

Pinnacle for lunch is a good deal, too.

I enjoy wearing a tux. I have two, one for a slimmer me and the other is for the other me. I know that I tend to stand and sit straighter when I am wearing my tux.

Jim

Fellow San Diegan here... We think you will love the Mexican Riviera. When are you sailing Eurodam? We'll be on her for another MR cruise (our 7th) this December.

I'm celebrating my own BD on our December sailing, and we'll be doing that in the MDR. The event is noted on our booking for the second night (sea day) of our cruise. Have never done the birthday thing before, but after reading about it here on CC, we expect maybe a piece of BD cake for all at our table, and maybe the serving staff singing happy birthday... not much more than that.

We have fixed main seating FWIW..

Back in March I celebrated my 60th birthday during a sea day on the Eurodam. My wife and I ate at the Pinnacle that evening (I have to say it was excellent). We did not advise anyone of my birthday, but somehow they knew and presented us with a small cake. I thought it was a very nice touch.

We just got off the Eurodam / Alaska and we saw more than ever in dress / gala attire! Every destination is different - Mexico a little more relaxed IMO. I also think Tammarind.is a little more relaxed than Pinnacle. It's all up to your choice. We only eat in the Tamarind and the Pinnacle - every night. Our choice for Gala night is always the Pinnacle.

Thanks!

As to gala nights, for you 2. They are almost always at sea days. You will not be overdressed in a tux. Even though there are mostly suits I saw a number of tuxes and the wearers received many admiring looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Eurodam / Alaska and we saw more than ever in dress / gala attire! Every destination is different - Mexico a little more relaxed IMO. I also think Tammarind.is a little more relaxed than Pinnacle. It's all up to your choice. We only eat in the Tamarind and the Pinnacle - every night. Our choice for Gala night is always the Pinnacle.

Can you please tell me if the new flat screens tv was in your cabin. They were in the Zaandam in April and I loved it.

Can you please tell me if the new flat screens tv was in your cabin. They were in the Zaandam in April and I loved it.

Yes, they are great. Loved them. Great movie choices too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the K'dam. 1st night out was my birthday and we ate in MDR. They served me a birthday cake w/candle and Happy Birthday written on the plate. Wore my tux 2nd night out but not on the 2nd Gala Night. May not bother with the tux when we take the kids/grandkids to Alaska next summer. I've did my birthday on E'dam in 2009 in the Pinnacle and other than the Happy Birthday on the plate the evening was a typical Pinnacle. This last time out was our 3rd time in Tamarind and it remains my favorite! Had a most excellent lobster this time.

Can you tell me if the Eurodam had the newer flat screen tvs with interactive ability to check charges, menus, lots of movies and tv shows?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, they are great. Loved them. Great movie choices too.

Yes, but unless it's different on Eurodam than it was on Oosterdam a few months ago, you can't check things like your onboard account status, MDR menus, specialty restaurant reservations and daily activities, etc. on the TVs.

This information is all available on HAL's 'Navigator' tool that you can access via your mobile device.

form HAL's website..

MANAGE YOUR CRUISE WITH OUR FREE, MOBILE-FRIENDLY TOOL

• Discover onboard events & activities
  • Book shore excursions
  • Make dinner reservations
  • Connect to paid internet
  • And more!