Higher checked bag fees!

suzyed

Is anyone else surprised by how much higher checked bag fees to Europe seem to be? I'm sure when I made my flight reservations a while back they weren't this high!

First bag will be free with our airline AmEx credit card but the second bag is now $100!!!!!

Is anyone else surprised by how much higher checked bag fees to Europe seem to be? I'm sure when I made my flight reservations a while back they weren't this high!

First bag will be free with our airline AmEx credit card but the second bag is now $100!!!!!

With Delta, on European flights our first bag has always been free and I know that last year the 2nd bag was $100. And I think the 2nd bag was $100 the year before too. So it has been that way on Delta for awhile.

I flew to Barcelona last Fall, Buenos Aires in March with Delta and did not pay. I have 1 bag and a carry on. I'm older, cannot manage the two big bags I used years ago. My last cruise was 30 days and my 26" bag was fine, more than enough clothes. Don't want to pay for an extra bag.

I flew to Barcelona last Fall, Buenos Aires in March with Delta and did not pay. I have 1 bag and a carry on. I'm older, cannot manage the two big bags I used years ago. My last cruise was 30 days and my 26" bag was fine, more than enough clothes. Don't want to pay for an extra bag.

Right! Leaning toward doing it that way...just a surprise.

The airlines are out of control... first with the food yeas ago, then the baggage fees . But at least at beginning of baggage fee pit was $25 not $100, and now this pay for seat selection on many European airlines and now some American ones as well, it’s just obscene

The airlines are out of control...

Maybe you should get a little perspective by looking at historical airline prices.

In actual dollar terms the cost of flying has come down over time before you even factor inflation.

I was reading the other day about someone who flew from Australia to London for $1900 return in economy...in 1991! That's about $4000 in today's money, so when you compare today for what you get for $4k versus "yesterday" for $4k you're way ahead today.

We aren’t paying anything for the first two bags in premium economy on Norwegian, but we also don’t plan on bringing two bags, since it is too much to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you should get a little perspective by looking at historical airline prices.

In actual dollar terms the cost of flying has come down over time before you even factor inflation.

Today's newer airplanes are more fuel efficient than in the past. Thus the airlines can make more money without having to raise prices.

Originally posted on Princess forum and had nothing at all to do with Princess. So why post it there?

I don't get it! What's the big deal about where it was originally posted?

OP is going on a Princess cruise, so I can understand why it was pasted on a Princess thread, even though it happens to be a more general topic.

At any rate, the mods take care of moving posts that are of a general nature, so there's no need to make a fuss about it or imply that the OP did something horribly wrong.

• Like 1

Originally posted on Princess forum and had nothing at all to do with Princess. So why post it there?

Because many of us purchased our airfare through Princess EZ Air and are now finding out about the higher baggage charges. Just wanted to commiserate with others on the topic before our Princess cruise in October.

I don't get it! What's the big deal about where it was originally posted?

OP is going on a Princess cruise, so I can understand why it was pasted on a Princess thread, even though it happens to be a more general topic.

At any rate, the mods take care of moving posts that are of a general nature, so there's no need to make a fuss about it or imply that the OP did something horribly wrong.

Thank you Flamomo...some people fancy themselves as Princess post police and then choose to follow me so they can keep commenting on my "error"....LOL!

We have learned to pack light, one 50 lb checked bag, one carry on. We have been able to go to both tropical, European, and cool/cold climates with layered clothing.

I guess we will all learn that now. Lucky for us that we have the Delta AmEx card or we would be paying $60 for our first bag! Yikes!

Today's newer airplanes are more fuel efficient than in the past. Thus the airlines can make more money without having to raise prices.

Yes the newer planes are more fuel efficient than in the past, but the new planes cost a lot more. The old joke is “How do you become a millionaire? Be a billionaire and buy an airline. “

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, I think you have a misunderstanding of airline economics. Yes, fuel efficiency has improved big time, but oil prices are also higher than they used to be (not at their peak right now, but definitely higher than 20-30 years ago). Plus, here are other things that factor in to the cost of your ticket that are higher now than in the past:

• Aircraft cost - the list price of a 777-300 is something like $350 million. Even a 737-8 is $115 million.
  • Crew Costs - each of those crew members you see needs to make a wage, and wages continue to go up with the cost of living. Plus, don't forget all of the countless employees you never encounter, also making a wage.
  • Fees - fees for using the airport, fees for using things like air traffic control, security, airport rescue (god forbid you ever need it), etc. Those go up, too.
  • Aircraft Maintenance - even new planes need maintenance so that they can fly incredibly safe for decades. This not only includes parts and pieces, but the maintenance staff that do an amazing job of keep planes safe...also needing to make a wage that is higher than it used to be.

There are other things, too, but those are the biggies. Fuel is only one expense... And at the same time, most of the flying public is demanding the lowest fare possible. Look at all of those things above and now think about what a reasonable ticket price would be for, say, NYC to London and back. I guarantee what you're paying is lower than it really should be.

I don't get this. Delta charges $25 for your first checked bag. I know this because when I fly out of GNV, Delta is usually my airline. (Whenever possible, I fly on Southwest, partly to avoid luggage fees, but they don't fly everywhere I want to go.)

Not if you are going from US/Canada to Europe. Delta is charging $60 for the first bag (unless you have the AmEx card) and $100 for the second bag. :(

There is no automatic answer to how much Delta (or most other airlines) charge for a bag. Yes, between U.S/Canada and U.S/Canada the charge is $25 for the first bag (up to 50 lb) and $35 for the second checked bag. And those fees are specifically for Basic Economy (EC), Main Cabin (MC), and Delta Comfort (DC+). Unless you are flying to/from the U.S. Virgin Islands. Or unless you have an exemption -- see the list of exceptions and exemptions online.

Now to fly to Europe on Delta, you do get one free bag, UNLESS you are flying a BE (basic economy) fare. Then you are dinged $60 for the first checked bag.

So before anyone answers the question of how much Delta charges for a checked bag, you need to know:

1) Where in the world are you flying from and to

2) What is your class of service (basic economy, main cabin, comfort, first, business, premium select, or Delta One).

3) Do any exemptions/exceptions apply? Status, the right credit card, active duty military, flying between LAX and Guatemala City, etc. Why Guatemala? I have no idea.

And forget all the above if you are flying to Key West. You may check only one bag no matter who you are.

The REAL answer is: go to the website and READ for yourself. Some other's experience may be irrelevant to yours.