Silver Box Sept. 2017

meow!

We received our "silver box" today, sent by our travel agent (cannot be named) by UPS Standard with a tracing number. It was held at a close by depot, and someone had to go and pick it up.

The box is 9" long x 6.5" wide x 1" deep, made of paper. It contains a letter and two business cards from our travel agent. Inside there is a book, 3/8" thick with "Silversea TRAVEL JOURNAL Montreal To Fort Lauderdale aboard Silver Muse", and our names on its greyish cover. This book (more than a booklet) looks like a brochure.

Then there is a greyish booklet titled "Your Luggage Tags" measuring 8.25" wide x 3.75" tall. Inside are our personal particulars. Then there are two greyish plastic cards, the size of credit cards, with a punch hole each to fit through straps, and each with our respective names printed on. There are finally two 6.25' long metal "strands" presumably to tie our luggage with.

The above is what we can describe in feline language .. meow!

P.S. Now we have a total of four "silver boxes" over a dozen some years. Each one is somewhat different in design and content. This year, there is no faux leather.

Edited by meow!

I do so wish they would stop this appalling waste of money and offer an 'opt out' option for those of us who are perfectly happy to download ticket and luggage tags from the website and neither need nor want the entirely unnecessary booklet, box, and waste of energy spent sending it and spent getting rid of it after it's been tossed in the trash.

With an 'opt out' option, those who want the box can have it, those of us who don't, don't have to.

Any ideas on to whom I should send this thought?

I do so wish they would stop this appalling waste of money and offer an 'opt out' option for those of us who are perfectly happy to download ticket and luggage tags from the website and neither need nor want the entirely unnecessary booklet, box, and waste of energy spent sending it and spent getting rid of it after it's been tossed in the trash. With an 'opt out' option, those who want the box can have it, those of us who don't, don't have to. Any ideas on to whom I should send this thought?

Agree that getting the Silver Box is kind of fun. BUT, it usually involves SS sending "it" to our travel agent. AND, then they send it to us. Rather costly and limited as to what we do with many of these various items, etc. Personally, I like the "good old days" with the nice, red leather bag tags, etc. But times have changed.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,489 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

It's exciting to receive but our booklet was simply a "cut and paste" job from what is on the web page. It was poorly done with several portions ending mid-sentence and so making no sense. The following day we received our online documents. I agree that opting out would be a good choice.

I like the sticky luggage tags that could be sent much more cheaply. I do not need the guide book IF they keep my current voyage up on the website and in My Silversea for reference. Should be a fairly easy reprogramming job. SS are you listening.

I like the sticky luggage tags that could be sent much more cheaply. I do not need the guide book IF they keep my current voyage up on the website and in My Silversea for reference. Should be a fairly easy reprogramming job. SS are you listening.

Appreciate these excellent above points by Emtbsam. The guide book has type that is fairly small and this makes its effective use a little limited. This thread has many tips and ideas to help save some money for Silversea. Agree that we hope they are listening.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

The guide book has type that is fairly small and this makes its effective use a little limited.

You know...just a few years ago, I would have wondered what you were talking about. But now, suddenly, everything seems to be in small print!

Why not ask Mark Conroy?

You're referring to the Q&A thay was just announced today? Smart idea!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

You know...just a few years ago, I would have wondered what you were talking about. But now, suddenly, everything seems to be in small print!

You're referring to the Q&A thay was just announced today? Smart idea!

YES!! Smart and fun follow-up from the wise J.P. We need to be thinking about excellent questions for the leader running Silversea operations here in the U.S. Not sure whether and how much his role and powers are more about sales versus being able to really improve actual services and customer connections.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,704 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

I'll have to admit it was kind of exciting to get our first Silver Box some six years ago and a bit of a surprise after 12 years of electronic documents. It was a little flashback to our first cruise 25 years ago. Some five boxes later I'll admit that if Silversea were to change to electronic documents, either as an option or full changeover, I'd be fine with it. Sure I liked the first set of luggage tags and really don't mind the more recent plastic tags, indeed we use them but I could live without more or new ones.

I'll have to admit it was kind of exciting to get our first Silver Box some six years ago and a bit of a surprise after 12 years of electronic documents. It was a little flashback to our first cruise 25 years ago. Some five boxes later I'll admit that if Silversea were to change to electronic documents, either as an option or full changeover, I'd be fine with it. Sure I liked the first set of luggage tags and really don't mind the more recent plastic tags, indeed we use them but I could live without more or new ones.

I agree that Silver Boxes should be sent to guests new to Silversea. In fact, they might enhance this welcome package for new guests. They know who has a Venetian Society number, and those people could be offered the choice of a slimmed down package (without leather/plastic luggage tags, etc.) or receipt of all materials electronically, with a modest ($25?) OBC incentive.

I agree that Silver Boxes should be sent to guests new to Silversea. In fact, they might enhance this welcome package for new guests. They know who has a Venetian Society number, and those people could be offered the choice of a slimmed down package (without leather/plastic luggage tags, etc.) or receipt of all materials electronically, with a modest ($25?) OBC incentive.

Totally agree. Wish there was a "like" button. (y)

Wow! Thought I'd be flamed for my opinion, didn't realize how many shared it. After I disembark tomorrow and have stable internet back again - curiously it was good all the way through Iceland and Greenland at the limit of satellite coverage but has been dreadful down through Canada - l will probably try and post something to Mark Conroy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! Thought I'd be flamed for my opinion, didn't realize how many shared it. After I disembark tomorrow and have stable internet back again - curiously it was good all the way through Iceland and Greenland at the limit of satellite coverage but has been dreadful down through Canada - l will probably try and post something to Mark Conroy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were 10-12 years and probably 12-14 cruises into our cruising life when Holland America transitioned from mailing out their blue pleather (plastic leather:)) documents and went to electronic downloadable documents. Luckily my wife and I were relatively computer literate and had and still have a sophisticated home system so it wasn't a hard transition for us. Not so for others and for some the disappointment of not getting mailed documents bordered on outrage. Add the population who are not computer savvy or not having the resources and it was an issue. Some 12 years later and the majority have adapted or started cruising after the advent of e-docs and it's very rarely mentioned. I would expect the same kind of transition growing pains if and when Silversea goes to e-docs.

We were 10-12 years and probably 12-14 cruises into our cruising life when Holland America transitioned from mailing out their blue pleather (plastic leather:)) documents and went to electronic downloadable documents. Luckily my wife and I were relatively computer literate and had and still have a sophisticated home system so it wasn't a hard transition for us. Not so for others and for some the disappointment of not getting mailed documents bordered on outrage. Add the population who are not computer savvy or not having the resources and it was an issue. Some 12 years later and the majority have adapted or started cruising after the advent of e-docs and it's very rarely mentioned. I would expect the same kind of transition growing pains if and when Silversea goes to e-docs.

Do you not use a TA? Does Holland America send docs directly to the guest and not via a TA? I ask because I too support going electronic and am sensitive to the reality that some guests may not be online. If the TA serves as a conduit, the TA in those cases could print out the e-docs and mail them to the guest. I gather that a huge majority of cruise passengers book through TAs if only to get the perks.

Do you not use a TA? Does Holland America send docs directly to the guest and not via a TA? I ask because I too support going electronic and am sensitive to the reality that some guests may not be online. If the TA serves as a conduit, the TA in those cases could print out the e-docs and mail them to the guest. I gather that a huge majority of cruise passengers book through TAs if only to get the perks.

Up until 2004 we used a brick and mortar TA in town and we'd go by their office to pick up our documents that Holland America had shipped to them. We started to use an Internet based TA in 2005 which is about the same time Holland America went to e-docs. Since we switched over in 2011 to sailing Silversea we've gotten our Silver Box reshipped by our TA who also adds some other items. For those cruise lines that have gone exclusively to e-docs it's my understanding that most TAs will print out their customer's e-docs and get them to them but we've never had to use that service. For the most part if you're savvy enough to book on line you're probably savvy enough to print out your own documents.

As much as I participate and get and share information here I realize we Cruise Critic members still represent a fairly small percentage of the cruising population. Because of that I'm not sure about the majority of cruisers using a TA to those booking directly with the cruise line. While I'm a big advocate of using an Internet TA because of the perks I realize that's not for everybody. That's really a subject, for that matter a much discussed and debated one, for another thread.

Always fun to get the silver box! Ours (for the October cruise just under 7 weeks away) is due to arrive today...:cool::D

Our little silver box arrived last week for Oct 23 fedexed from Italy. In the past it didn't arrive until about 2 weeks.

I enjoy getting the little silver box and tag, mostly because it signals embarkation is getting near.

I doubt very much SS would give the option suggested of a $25 OBC instead of the box, but I'd take it if offered. I'd rather suspect it's more likely to disappear as part of cost cutting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...
Guess I'm the odd one here...I LOVE getting the Silver Box!

I guess you didn’t read the post directly above yours! :-)

Nice timely bump though as I certainly did enjoy receiving ours a couple of days ago! A bit earlier than usual this time!

I so wish one was given the choice to opt out of the Silver Box at booking (I presume they'd need a long lead time) - I absolutely hate getting mine. I know perfectly well when my next cruise is, I don't need the box to remind me, and I also know that the cost of sending the box to Bermuda (excluding the printing cost) is at least $35. Then all I do with it is throw it away; breaks my heart to generate such unnecessary trash. I have sailed with plenty of lines where I print my own bag tags as well as the ticket, I'd have no problem doing this if offered.

If we had the choice, them as wants 'em can have 'em, and I don't have to.

It's not negativity, I just hate waste ... don't get me started on all the ridiculous paperwork that appears in ones cabin every evening ...